My new 23 year old McDermott shaft!

Surly

This is it.
Silver Member
A fellow at the pool hall that I've never met before (Charlie) strikes up a conversation with my husband about his new McDermott shaft. He had been playing with the 23 year old cue for about a year, and just didn't like the 11.75 shaft that came with it, and was trying to sell it, so my husband told him that I might like it....

Ohmygod. I don't know what McDermott was doing to their shafts 23 years ago, but I fell in love after 3 shots. This may sound crazy, but it reminds me of the Predators and OBs I've been testing lately - solid hit, solid transfer of energy to my hand... it's hard to describe, but it's almost like there's a connection to my brain that wasn't there before.

About 25% of the time, I would strike the cue ball and then wonder, "What the hell was that??!", but now the little voice is saying, "That's exactly how you hit it, that's what." Does that make any sense?

So here is the best part - I decide I'll give him $20 for it and the three of us start haggling. Once we agree on $15 and my husband reaches for his wallet, Charlie says, "Tell you what. It's Valentine's Day. You just keep it." and he would NOT take the money. Kept saying he just didn't have room for it in his case.

So does anyone know what kind of tip McDermott was using 23 years ago? It seems a good bit harder than the Triangle I've been using...
 
He said it was the original tip. I got the impression that it had not been used in a very long time, and he had just been shooting with it again for the past year....
 
Surly said:
A fellow at the pool hall that I've never met before (Charlie) strikes up a conversation with my husband about his new McDermott shaft. He had been playing with the 23 year old cue for about a year, and just didn't like the 11.75 shaft that came with it, and was trying to sell it, so my husband told him that I might like it....

Ohmygod. I don't know what McDermott was doing to their shafts 23 years ago, but I fell in love after 3 shots. This may sound crazy, but it reminds me of the Predators and OBs I've been testing lately - solid hit, solid transfer of energy to my hand... it's hard to describe, but it's almost like there's a connection to my brain that wasn't there before.

About 25% of the time, I would strike the cue ball and then wonder, "What the hell was that??!", but now the little voice is saying, "That's exactly how you hit it, that's what." Does that make any sense?

So here is the best part - I decide I'll give him $20 for it and the three of us start haggling. Once we agree on $15 and my husband reaches for his wallet, Charlie says, "Tell you what. It's Valentine's Day. You just keep it." and he would NOT take the money. Kept saying he just didn't have room for it in his case.

So does anyone know what kind of tip McDermott was using 23 years ago? It seems a good bit harder than the Triangle I've been using...
friend of mine told me that they used to make their cues bigger in the joint years ago. he also said that the quality of the wood they used for their shafts used to be better. not that it's bad now i'm just saying

congrats it sounds like you got the deal of the century. you found a cue that plays the way you always wanted a cue to play and you got it for free!
 
Surly said:
,,,
So does anyone know what kind of tip McDermott was using 23 years ago? It seems a good bit harder than the Triangle I've been using...

We were a dealer from 1995 - 2000 and they were using LePros.
Standard tip size was 13mm
 
I sent them an email this morning. I'm beginning to wonder if it's a McDermott shaft at all.... don't most manufacturers have a 12mm minimum unless a smaller measure is specially requested?
 
poolplayer2093 said:
friend of mine told me that they used to make their cues bigger in the joint years ago. he also said that the quality of the wood they used for their shafts used to be better. not that it's bad now i'm just saying

congrats it sounds like you got the deal of the century. you found a cue that plays the way you always wanted a cue to play and you got it for free!

Thanks, man! I'm pretty stoked. I fell in love on Valentine's Day! :wub:
 
Surly said:
I sent them an email this morning. I'm beginning to wonder if it's a McDermott shaft at all.... don't most manufacturers have a 12mm minimum unless a smaller measure is specially requested?

I guess that is for 314 shafts only - because they are hollow. I doubt that others with solid shafts would be against turning a shaft below that.

Congratulations for your find and have a nice time using it for the next 23+++ years!
 
I still play with my McDermott D 10 from 1985. I ordered a 2nd shaft when I bought it and both came with Le Pro's. After years of sanding one shaft is just under 12 mm.
 
magic

Very lucky and fitting that it happened on valentines day. Every once in awhile you pick up a piece of equipment that is right for you and it is part of you from the first moment. I have had it happen with pool cues, shotguns, and pistols. When it happens, no price that you can pay is too high although free is even better. I have had cues that I always knew if I had made the shot the instant the tip contacted the cue ball. There is no better feeling playing pool.

A very sincere congratulations for finding that shaft!

Hu


Surly said:
A fellow at the pool hall that I've never met before (Charlie) strikes up a conversation with my husband about his new McDermott shaft. He had been playing with the 23 year old cue for about a year, and just didn't like the 11.75 shaft that came with it, and was trying to sell it, so my husband told him that I might like it....

Ohmygod. I don't know what McDermott was doing to their shafts 23 years ago, but I fell in love after 3 shots. This may sound crazy, but it reminds me of the Predators and OBs I've been testing lately - solid hit, solid transfer of energy to my hand... it's hard to describe, but it's almost like there's a connection to my brain that wasn't there before.

About 25% of the time, I would strike the cue ball and then wonder, "What the hell was that??!", but now the little voice is saying, "That's exactly how you hit it, that's what." Does that make any sense?

So here is the best part - I decide I'll give him $20 for it and the three of us start haggling. Once we agree on $15 and my husband reaches for his wallet, Charlie says, "Tell you what. It's Valentine's Day. You just keep it." and he would NOT take the money. Kept saying he just didn't have room for it in his case.

So does anyone know what kind of tip McDermott was using 23 years ago? It seems a good bit harder than the Triangle I've been using...
 
Thanks, Hu!

I should clarify: I knew my husband wouldn't stand for more than $20. If he hadn't been there, Charlie might have gotten $40 out of me and I would have been proud. I've only played with it about an hour, and didn't think to use spin on it because I don't use spin; but it can draw like crazy!

I wouldn't take less than $500,000 for it right now. :)
 
Fenwick said:
I still play with my McDermott D 10 from 1985. I ordered a 2nd shaft when I bought it and both came with Le Pro's. After years of sanding one shaft is just under 12 mm.


Tisk tisk! I never, ever.....ever ever ever take sand paper to my cue.

But that's just me.. ;)
 
Surly said:
Thanks, Hu!

I should clarify: I knew my husband wouldn't stand for more than $20. If he hadn't been there, Charlie might have gotten $40 out of me and I would have been proud. I've only played with it about an hour, and didn't think to use spin on it because I don't use spin; but it can draw like crazy!

I wouldn't take less than $500,000 for it right now. :)


your husband sounds really cheap.lol.

40 bones for any cue is pretty good in my book. i actually found the cue that feels like an extension of my arm as well (2 actually). i've had offers but i'll never let it go
 
Back
Top