My SBE Sugartree

nasc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A little something I picked up at Valley Forge.
What do you think?
Glen

Attachments

• 72.JPG
    72.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,032
  • 71.JPG
    71.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,044
  • 73.JPG
    73.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,026
  • 77.JPG
    77.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,040
  • 74.jpg
    74.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,034

paulybatz

"The Professor"
Silver Member
Its...

It's fantastic...first next generation sugartree with veneered points, and a special addition by ALTON! You're a lucky dude!

**only thing Id change would be from leather to linen!

nasc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's fantastic...first next generation sugartree with veneered points, and a special addition by ALTON! You're a lucky dude!

**only thing Id change would be from leather to linen!

But he killed the bison himself! :lol:

Glen

tlayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is just the beginning... What a beauty!
Congrats on getting a great build.
Tony

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice looking Sugartree Glen. A veneered sugartree to boot.
Congrats to ya Glen.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Best looking ST that has been on here yet. This is how he should have been signing them all along, or similar.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I love the cue... love Sugartree cues... but not having a bumper would worry the hell out of me.

a9ballbr8k

Don't anger my stakehorse
Silver Member
Very sweet...sugary sweet ;) Right up my alley.

I see it has titlist colored veneers but I like them to look slightly darker, like the ones in my titlist tribute in my sig. Dustin has some very nice veneers including the titlist ones.

Also curious to know if this is a full splice or made to look like a full splice like my DZ titlist tribute. Please let me know about these questions and if this is ever up for sale I would like first dibs! Thanks and congrats. Rob.

Realizm

I love cocobolo cues.
Silver Member
Very sweet...sugary sweet ;) Right up my alley.

I see it has titlist colored veneers but I like them to look slightly darker, like the ones in my titlist tribute in my sig. Dustin has some very nice veneers including the titlist ones.

Also curious to know if this is a full splice or made to look like a full splice like my DZ titlist tribute. Please let me know about these questions and if this is ever up for sale I would like first dibs! Thanks and congrats. Rob.

Sweet looking cue..

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i love the veneer colors,

I'm going to have to drive to Erics house and whip that boy into shape and have him make me a cue:p;) Just teasing.

A great cue for sure, dont look like a ST but thats what makes it cool.

I spoke to Eric the other day(were good friends, very good friends) and at the risk of saying something I shouldnt, I'm going to anyways. So here it goes i'll do it in a short story-its great news for all of us pool players who also like cues.

The story:

I got my first ST back in 07 and I loved it right out the gate, I read so much good stuff I wanted to try one so I bought the first one I could find. I loved it, so I had to talk to the guy who built it-I found Eric somehow online. We talked a good bit and I really liked him. I told him the cue had been to Germany with me as it was my travel cue, I came home to vegas and let it sit for a few months, I went to put together and it didnt feel right, there was a roll-i could tell before It was screwed together, Germany is wet and Vegas is very dry same as where Eric makes the cues. I call Eric he offered to replace it straight away-we were friendly by then but not close friends like now. I said naw lets give the wood time to rest, the roll was so bad the tip lifted off the table with both shafts. The roll was in the butt not the shafts. 6 months later it was lazer straight, thats something I have learned over the years with cues-dont rush it or the cue maker, wood does funny things with dramatic climate changes.

I bought another one that I use as my break cue LOL a 8pt one no less, It just breaks good for me, over the past couple years Eric and I would talk on the phone more frequently, and became good friends. I invited him to my house anytime, he said "I have a family". I was aware of that and told him I meant to say you and your family is awalys invited to stay. He took me up on the offer. When I first saw him I was amazed he is so young!!! I'm 43 and look good for my age but this guy looked like he could be my son. I had no clue how old he was I knew he wasnt in his 60's. We had a great time, I hope he comes again.

Now here is the good part something I have noticed about Eric, over the past ~3 years I have noticed one thing. Erics enthusiam for building cues has grown into a hardcore passion, 3 years ago it was a hobbie to relax him and he enjoyed it, 2 years ago he seemed more interested in exotic woods(this is just my observation) he has a pHd in maple, in the last year or less he is intense and passionate than ever about building cues, not volume, but just his level of interest. He wont ever sacriface quality for quanity, but his passion is at a all time high.

I made a comment to him the other day, I said its looking like your possibly the leader if the 3rd generation of cue builders IMO. Gus's era being the first then Barry, Showman, in the next generation. Now we have a new generation Zinola, Eric, guys who have only been building cues for a couple years. I know Harvy Martin was before Gus so maybe its best to break it down by decade or 15 year generations.

Now the good part: Eric said "hell yeah, I'm ready and i'm younger than most of the top cue makers anyways". Which is true-he DID NOT disrespect anyone or was arrogant. He is just excited about building cues more than ever. He wants to be the Gus of his era. He has some heavy competition though. He worships Gus-I showed him all hte gus/Barry cues and he wasnt looking at the $$$ but the wood choices the grand masters were using. I showed him other pricy cues and he showed me where they cue corners-still not knocking anyone. He is polite and respoectful, he just told me the way he would do something(construction not ornimation) differently, core drilling comes to mind.

So my point is Pool/Cues has a very young very talented cue maker who's level of interest is growing every time I talk to him, He said every year his cues are playing better and better, I will 1000% vouch for that, they do. He is putting his heart and sole into this, its not about the $$$. And thats why it is working so good.

All of the above is my opinion and perhaps I'm wrong on a couple things, I hope I dont piss Eric off-he can easily kick my ass. I just love seeing a man/woman do what they love and be a successful at it. I'm not doing good so writing this story makes me feel good, I envy Eric's spot in life and I hope to be his friend for long as possible.

thats my Eric Crisp story

I shared it because there arnt many young guys with his values and dedication for anything these days. I admire that.

And no this isnt a kiss ass post for a cue, If I needed a cue from Eric I'd ask him. I'd rather see his cues out there being used by others. Both of mine get alot of use, I keep one as my break cue the other as a house cue for good players that dont have a cue with them, most everyone says WOW when they use it,

best
eric<-----the other eric that cant change a tip:frown:

Edit: I just called Eric to make sure what I said was accurate and ok with him, I saw his post below. I just felt like writing a happy success story of someone who is a great life long(future) friend. He is comming up to Vegas for all thefestivities in May so I will get to see him then, that will be great. One thing I want to add here, not once looking at any of my cues did he say anything disrespectful about any other cue maker, or knock their work. He is a champion among his peers and carries himself accordingally. He is very humble-just like Barry is-birds of a feather both are humble and so was Gus.

Last edited:

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
:embarrassed2: Thank you for the kind words, Eric. You make me blush, buddy. You truly are too kind. I appreciate it.

I'm happy you like the cue, Glen. It's certainly not my typical style, but I sure like the simplistic traditional designs. Thanks for the change of pace :)

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
Saw this cue personally at SBE. It's a beauty. Saw some more of Eric's cue that time and they are all lovely. It was nice hanging out with you Eric at the Mezz booth as well as the other guys. Really had a great time.

Reactions: CMD

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:embarrassed2: Thank you for the kind words, Eric. You make me blush, buddy. You truly are too kind. I appreciate it.

I'm happy you like the cue, Glen. It's certainly not my typical style, but I sure like the simplistic traditional designs. Thanks for the change of pace :)

It was good to talk to you, i'm under a ton of stress now and am doing things that make me happy, I have been practicing my writing and was thinking of you. So I told the story of the cue that the climate had the most effect on of any cue I have ever seen, I'm glad that happened because I learned something, I heard of it before but not to the extent of what happened to that cue. I will bring it to LA for a few months and let it sit and see what happens to it. Knowing that is why I blame the wood not the cue maker.

take care buddy see you in may

best,

eric