Name any other sport or game...

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the other sports that have been mentioned (tennis, golf, baseball) your opponent does participate, pool is afaik the only sport that you could never have a chance to win the game, i.e. a break and run.

blah blah

Shoebat
If you have alternating breaks and a race to more than 1, the problem you refer to is eliminated.

I tried to cover this in my original post: Even though I'm pointing out what could be considered a flaw, I am not advocating alternate breaks because there is a beauty and a higher goal to stringing racks.

Perhaps, as one person pointed out in regards to the DCC, if one player runs, say, 13 racks, the other player should get to at least try to run the same number of balls, plus one, afterwards.

Last edited:

blah blah

Shoebat
Well, for one thing, the pool world is made of different games. To apply this concept to all the pool games does not make sense.

I have a feeling this is more related to 9 ball than any other pool game.

So, maybe the real problem is the pool game being played and not the whole world of pool games.

Short races and lack of multiple sets is another problem.

As I said in my greenie to you: 9b, 8b, snooker, 3c, straight pool, even 1p can be broken and ran, although the likelihood gets lower based on the games. Thing is, the higher the skill, the more b&r's become actual attainable goals- even in longer sets.

cheeseroller

Registered
Most cruel game

An old man once told me that pool is the most cruel game ever invented. In all other sports an opponent is guaranteed an opportunity to get their shot.

Examples. Golf. You take your swing and then your other opponent(s) get theirs. Baseball. one team gets a time at bat. 3 outs later the other team gets their turn. Football. One team scores and then has to kickoff to the other team.

Not so in pool. Guy might break and run out a set and you never reach the table.

Pool also punishes you harshly for making mistakes. You might dog a shot and your opponent takes over the table and you may never see the table again. And if you do you might be kicking 3 rails to hit a ball because your opponent shot a dead lock safety on you. That is what the old man I knew meant when he said pool is the most cruel game!!

This old man also played golf and said that pool was a much harsher game than golf. He said in golf you can make a bad shot and it may cost you several strokes but at least you get another opportunity at redemption because you always get another shot and can make up for a bad shot. Pool guarantees no such opportunities. One stupid mistake and you may cede control of the table to your opponent and may never have another chance to redeem yourself.

The old man said that playing pool required a certain mental toughness because of this aspect of it. He was truly a wise old man.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
The game of pool itself can be played where all participants have an equal number of opportunities but this just isn't the way most tournaments or matches are formatted because the same games are always played - 8/9/10 Ball; 14.1 and 1 Hole.

But games like Fargo, Bowlliards, Equal Offense, and Pool 300 allow every participant the same number of chances. What may be even more significant from a professional standpoint is that these games allow players to compete against the entire field rather than one player at a time as in match play only.

Last edited:

blah blah

Shoebat
An old man once told me that pool is the most cruel game ever invented. In all other sports an opponent is guaranteed an opportunity to get their shot.

Examples. Golf. You take your swing and then your other opponent(s) get theirs. Baseball. one team gets a time at bat. 3 outs later the other team gets their turn. Football. One team scores and then has to kickoff to the other team.

Not so in pool. Guy might break and run out a set and you never reach the table.

Pool also punishes you harshly for making mistakes. You might dog a shot and your opponent takes over the table and you may never see the table again. And if you do you might be kicking 3 rails to hit a ball because your opponent shot a dead lock safety on you. That is what the old man I knew meant when he said pool is the most cruel game!!

This old man also played golf and said that pool was a much harsher game than golf. He said in golf you can make a bad shot and it may cost you several strokes but at least you get another opportunity at redemption because you always get another shot and can make up for a bad shot. Pool guarantees no such opportunities. One stupid mistake and you may cede control of the table to your opponent and may never have another chance to redeem yourself.

The old man said that playing pool required a certain mental toughness because of this aspect of it. He was truly a wise old man.

Exactly.

Pool hurts.

(And we are all sado- masochists.)

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
I think I disagree with the baseball analogies.

While you can have a pitcher throw a no hitter, is that really winning without your opponent having a chance? To me, the other team had 27 chances to reply/do something/win. They just didn't capitalize.

In Pool, someone can run out the set (winner breaks) with ZERO input from you. You don't even get 1 remote chance at it. You get nothing. You lose. Good day, sir.

Eric

Last edited:

incognito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can't have it both ways. Either you have alternating breaks, or you give a really good player an opportunity to break and run the set. I would be in favor of giving an incoming player an inning at the table if his opponent broke and ran the set.

I tried to cover this in my original post: Even though I'm pointing out what could be considered a flaw, I am not advocating alternate breaks because there is a beauty and a higher goal to stringing racks.

Perhaps, as one person pointed out in regards to the DCC, if one player runs, say, 13 racks, the other player should get to at least try to run the same number of balls, plus one, afterwards.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
In Pool, someone can run out the set (winner breaks) with ZERO input from you. You don't even get 1 remote chance at it. You get nothing. You lose. Good day, sir.

Eric

You can't have it both ways. Either you have alternating breaks, or you give a really good player an opportunity to break and run the set. I would be in favor of giving an incoming player an inning at the table if his opponent broke and ran the set.

Again, I disagree with these statements because they are being applied to pool generally. It depends on the game you are playing. There are numerous pool games where not only do all players have a chance but actually get an equal number of chances.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
After a pitcher releases the ball, he relinquishes control to the hitter. No matter how difficult of a pitch it is to hit, it is the hitter who has control. He can choose to swing or not. In order for the pitcher to strike him out, he must eventually place the ball in the strike zone.

Pool is not this way in the context of this thread.

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Archer ran out the set (like 11 racks) on Bustamante, Then Bustamante asked Archer if he would like to bump the bet....Just saying ;)

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Somebody mentioned "pistol duel"...good job. I think that one works :D

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

No that wouldnt work as you both have a chance to shoot even though one may not get the shot of... he is still "taking a turn"

Last edited:

incognito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Archer put a 13 pack on Bustamante to break and run the first set. Bustamante proposed that they double the bet on the next set. They played the next set for the same amount and Busamante won.

Archer ran out the set (like 11 racks) on Bustamante, Then Bustamante asked Archer if he would like to bump the bet....Just saying ;)

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
After a pitcher releases the ball, he relinquishes control to the hitter. No matter how difficult of a pitch it is to hit, it is the hitter who has control. He can choose to swing or not. In order for the pitcher to strike him out, he must eventually place the ball in the strike zone.

Pool is not this way in the context of this thread.

Yep, baseball is a bad analogy. Everyone on the opposing team gets to bat 3 times, EACH. They same 9 guys do NOT all strike out, and no perfect game in MLB history or college was won with 27 strike outs... most of the outs are grounds outs and fly outs... just like the White Sox on Saturday... 27 outs, and 9 were K's...

Not to mention that all 9 players on opposing team spent 8 or 9 innings playing defense, so not exactly like they did not play the game, get dirty or break a sweat.....heck, the opposing pitcher still had to toss 90 or so pitches himself, he just did not do as good as the other guy...

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
There are hands in Bridge where the defenders can't do anything to prevent the declarer from making his contract.

It's probably closer than baseball to what the OP is looking for because a) even though they're playing their cards, the opponents cannot affect the outcome and b) good bridge players recognize these situations and claim the tricks without playing out the hand.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Id say golf, because if you play perfect, your opponents are screwed.

Joe

Nope, cause the oppenent is playing right next to you taking shot for shot.... and at any time the other guys game can fall apart at the 15th hole, and the other guy could still win. Heck, it happens all the time in the PGA....lot of choking going on down the stretch :)