Need Cue Buying Advice =) [New Member]

SupaFoo

Starving Law Student
Silver Member
Hello AzB community!

I'm new here, so just a quick introduction of myself as I will probably be a regular from now on:

Name: Alan
Occupation: College Student
Shooting Exp.: 2 years, 3 months (since I started college)

So my current problem concerns my equipment. I have always loved billiards and spent my entire life before college yearning to play (the layout of my basement made even a 7 footer an impossibility). I started off the very first day of college by making a beeline to the billiards club to sign up. Shooting (or rather, missing :p ) obsessively for 2 weeks, my upperclassmen mentors quickly suggested that I buy a cue (the university maintains its tables really well, but the cues are all fiberglass with severely mushroomed tips).

They suggested Seyberts, and overcoming initial resistance, I eventually sold the parents on the idea - buying a McDermott M4-3I on clearance for only $150 (if I remember correctly). Overall, I have been extremely satisfied with my purchase.

Despite my few years of experience, I have logged many many hours of table time (depending on schoolwork, usually 12 -18 hours a week, with 2-week periods of sparse playing per semester [midterms and finals week]). I have played enough now to know that I have clearly surpassed the level of my equipment to the point that my development is going stagnant.

Deflection seems to be the primary culprit here (a problem I identified before even learning the term or knowing what a 314 or z or ob was). I have on occasion tried my peers' cues, including Meucci, Lucasi, Viking, J. Pechauer and some customs the names of which I cannot recall. While none of my friends shoots with a Predator, some of them use 314's and I've found that I like them a lot (I have never even seen a Z or OB in person before). From what I've experienced, while I like my cue, I generally like a more "full" feel and hit.

I was hoping that some of the more experienced players could help me figure out what I should look to buy in the coming months/years. Performance is the primary concern here, but it brings up a list of other issues:

A) Is the shaft of the cue really all that matters? (In other words, if I put a 314 on my cue, will it hit like my friend's cue with the more expensive butt with the same shaft? Also, are these shafts "too good" for the butt of my cue, given that they cost more than I paid for the entire cue?)

B) How long would this investment be for? (First issue, the length of usage for buying a new shaft v. a new cue. Second issue, how long do you guys generally keep a cue for? [Note: I'm very sentimental with my "tools of the trade" in all of my hobbies and have never sold anything I used for a long period of time - I wouldn't sell a cue from being bored by it, so what I'm really asking is how long one can expect to shoot with a given cue for]

C) How much will a reasonable high performance cue cost me? (How much if the look of the cue is important?)

D) Combining parts A, B and C, am I best off:
1. Buying a new shaft for my current cue and not buying a new cue for several years.
2. Buying a new, high performance cue this holiday season and keeping it for the foreseeable future.
3. Sticking with my current cue, saving money and then buying a "dream" cue for my birthday in July (a "dream" cue being a high-performance cue with all of the aesthetic bells and whistles and inlays)

Note that I don't really compete often because of my time commitment to school and student leadership activities (thus, the deflection of my current cue isn't going to cost me anything besides frustration :p )

I appreciate all the advice you guys can give me!

-Sincerely, Alan :thumbup:
 
Welcome Alan : IMO buying a good shaft like a 314 would be a good investment..Another very important item is selecting a tip for it...There has been much written about these and can be found in reading older threads on this site....Other people will advise you more on this...One thing to always remember treat your equiptment well,never leave it in extreme temperatures...Good luck to you and see you on AZ.....:)
 
Welcome to AZB Alan.

1. The most important part of the cue is the tip.

2. If you decide to buy a cue, educate yourself first, and
you have come to a great place to learn. Study various
threads, present and past in for sale/wanted and if you
can, try out various makers products that are attractive
to you.

3. You are in a buyers market, and it appears as if it
will remain in this condition for some time, so again watch
the threads and see what different cues are presently
commanding in price.

4. The most important thing about buying a cue is to buy
what you like. Forget any perceived idea about "investment",
as what is fashionable today can easily be heavily discounted
in the future. I've seen this happen repeatedly here.

Say to yourself, "do I like this enough to not care if I just
pissed away X$$$ ?" Odds are, that is exactly what you
will be doing.

and of course read this:

http://www.azbilliards.com/carlo/carlo3.php


Best of luck,

Danny
 
A) Is the shaft of the cue really all that matters? (In other words, if I put a 314 on my cue, will it hit like my friend's cue with the more expensive butt with the same shaft? Also, are these shafts "too good" for the butt of my cue, given that they cost more than I paid for the entire cue?)

Yes it does!!! (also combined with a good tip as mentioned by others).
Performance wise, any butt with 314 shaft (or any other shaft) will play very similar.
Whether it makes sense to get one for your current cue really only depends on the condition of your cue, if it's really banged up and not worth to refinish (because it's a cheap cue) then you might want to consider a new cue as well.

B) How long would this investment be for? (First issue, the length of usage for buying a new shaft v. a new cue. Second issue, how long do you guys generally keep a cue for? [Note: I'm very sentimental with my "tools of the trade" in all of my hobbies and have never sold anything I used for a long period of time - I wouldn't sell a cue from being bored by it, so what I'm really asking is how long one can expect to shoot with a given cue for]

Almost completely up to you and how you handle and protect your equipment. It could hold a life time!! I say almost because wood can not be predicted and it could warp, there is no rule here, I've seen high end cues wrap and cheap cues stay straight for years...

C) How much will a reasonable high performance cue cost me? (How much if the look of the cue is important?)

Looks are not important, any cue in a Predator's line will play the same, just like any other production line of cues. So I guess you're looking at about $350 to start with (combining a relatively cheap butt with a low deflection shaft)

D) Combining parts A, B and C, am I best off:
1. Buying a new shaft for my current cue and not buying a new cue for several years.
2. Buying a new, high performance cue this holiday season and keeping it for the foreseeable future.
3. Sticking with my current cue, saving money and then buying a "dream" cue for my birthday in July (a "dream" cue being a high-performance cue with all of the aesthetic bells and whistles and inlays)

1. Depends on your budget and the condition of your cue and do you like your cue (looks, weigh, balance, joint type)

2/3. Always go for what you really like, even if it means waiting a bit more and saving more money. This way, there are less chances for regrets... :rolleyes:
So if (3) is an option then (2) should not be an option!
 
You should do just fine with a McDermott, as there a NO MAGIC Cues some people might have you believe, just some very talented, and skill players that could still play better than 95% of there Forum Members with a House Cue that has a properly shaped tip.

It is not the Cue that does the Magic on a Pool Table, it is the Player Knowledge, Skill, and Execution that win games, and pocket balls.

Seeking of Winning, do not Focus on the WIN, Focus on a your Game a Ball at a time.
 
unless you have money to burn,keep your mc dermott if you like it.there is no guarantee that you will like anything more,m makes a good cue and some really good players play them

after 40 years in this business and playing i honestly have no idea what you mean by high performance cues or shafts

dean
 
cue ?

it isn't the arrow it's the indian, keep working on your game. now that you're addicted. good luck
PS; the cue you have is likely fine, if you like the feel of the stiffer shaft, you may be able to find a used one in the Wanted/For Sale section.
 
Agreed...

I am in complete agreement with the Indian, not the arrow analogy. Keep the cue you have and try a different tip or two. Nothing wrong with McDermott cues, unless you want to get into the "cue snob" group.

You did not mention what tip you currently have on your cue, so I have no idea what you have been playing with. If you have now developed a good, consistent stroke, you may want to try a tip that is a little harder, for a more consistent hit and control.

Most of my customers love the "Sniper" brand of tips that I have installed for them. Very consistent quality, once broken in, very little, if any mushrooming. They give really good control over whitey, and play like a softer tip, yet last a long time. Little or no maintainance required.
 
"Performance cue"??....

Not sure what that means..... but I think you have a missperception of what it may be, given your description.

Save your money ....buy a "performance" :smile: tip and learn all of what your cue can do before you move on. Try out a new shaft down the road after you've thoroughly learned all about squirt, swerve, stroke, punch, and how speed and distance effect all the above.

Keep some of that money you've 'saved' for when that 'right' one becomes available. I "tried" mine out (for sale-used from a freind) almost 30 years ago, bought it after winning a set and have used it all this time. A new couple of shafts, wrap, and refinish in '06 cost me more than 5 times what I paid for then.
Money well spent on a JossWest.

Good luck

td
 
Take this too the bank-jack

All need be said is you need the pred.,or a mcdermott- I shaft's,or the new wooden ferruled-ob-1. I love all cues but they are not created equal. Too many tournements are being won with pred. All the filipino's use and play,buddy Hall, Trick Shot champions Mike massey and Dr. Cue. Preds shafts are being made to fit all cue makers Richard Black,-Gina and on and on. I have played for 30+ yrs and for cues from china,box cues NONE play more consistent than the NEW Supershafts. and you need about 8hrs. practice for the next 7 yrs. Play games that require accuracy,banks,and 0-pocket. Troy (koinnkid) has a website for un-beatable prices.here az
 
cue shopping

SupaFoo said:
Hello AzB community!

I'm new here, so just a quick introduction of myself as I will probably be a regular from now on:

Name: Alan
Occupation: College Student
Shooting Exp.: 2 years, 3 months (since I started college)

So my current problem concerns my equipment. I have always loved billiards and spent my entire life before college yearning to play (the layout of my basement made even a 7 footer an impossibility). I started off the very first day of college by making a beeline to the billiards club to sign up. Shooting (or rather, missing :p ) obsessively for 2 weeks, my upperclassmen mentors quickly suggested that I buy a cue (the university maintains its tables really well, but the cues are all fiberglass with severely mushroomed tips).

They suggested Seyberts, and overcoming initial resistance, I eventually sold the parents on the idea - buying a McDermott M4-3I on clearance for only $150 (if I remember correctly). Overall, I have been extremely satisfied with my purchase.

Despite my few years of experience, I have logged many many hours of table time (depending on schoolwork, usually 12 -18 hours a week, with 2-week periods of sparse playing per semester [midterms and finals week]). I have played enough now to know that I have clearly surpassed the level of my equipment to the point that my development is going stagnant.

Deflection seems to be the primary culprit here (a problem I identified before even learning the term or knowing what a 314 or z or ob was). I have on occasion tried my peers' cues, including Meucci, Lucasi, Viking, J. Pechauer and some customs the names of which I cannot recall. While none of my friends shoots with a Predator, some of them use 314's and I've found that I like them a lot (I have never even seen a Z or OB in person before). From what I've experienced, while I like my cue, I generally like a more "full" feel and hit.

I was hoping that some of the more experienced players could help me figure out what I should look to buy in the coming months/years. Performance is the primary concern here, but it brings up a list of other issues:

A) Is the shaft of the cue really all that matters? (In other words, if I put a 314 on my cue, will it hit like my friend's cue with the more expensive butt with the same shaft? Also, are these shafts "too good" for the butt of my cue, given that they cost more than I paid for the entire cue?)

B) How long would this investment be for? (First issue, the length of usage for buying a new shaft v. a new cue. Second issue, how long do you guys generally keep a cue for? [Note: I'm very sentimental with my "tools of the trade" in all of my hobbies and have never sold anything I used for a long period of time - I wouldn't sell a cue from being bored by it, so what I'm really asking is how long one can expect to shoot with a given cue for]

C) How much will a reasonable high performance cue cost me? (How much if the look of the cue is important?)

D) Combining parts A, B and C, am I best off:
1. Buying a new shaft for my current cue and not buying a new cue for several years.
2. Buying a new, high performance cue this holiday season and keeping it for the foreseeable future.
3. Sticking with my current cue, saving money and then buying a "dream" cue for my birthday in July (a "dream" cue being a high-performance cue with all of the aesthetic bells and whistles and inlays)

Note that I don't really compete often because of my time commitment to school and student leadership activities (thus, the deflection of my current cue isn't going to cost me anything besides frustration :p )

I appreciate all the advice you guys can give me!

-Sincerely, Alan :thumbup:

I spent an afternoon at a store, where the owner had a table & permitted me to try cues ranging from $100-$1500. I wound up with a cheap Players Cue & added a Universal Shaft. Eventually, I put a phenolic tip on the original Players shaft & used it as a break cue.

Later an irresistible deal came my way on a Sledgehammer. I now feel that I am probabaly set for life.

A great deal of money can be spent on expensive inlays etc, but aesthetics do not contribute to performance & would merely create security problems with people trying to steal the cue.

In fact, the only problem with the cheap Players butt is that it has some fancy phony decoration, that attracts attention from ignorant people, who think it is expensive.

Trying various cues permitted me to choose a comfortable weight, balance etc. Trying the cues is like dating. Hopefully, you would not marry a woman out of a catalog.
 
Word of warning...if you go with a predator shaft and decide down the road to go back to a standard shaft {and many have} you will have one hell of a time adjusting back. I really think that in your position of being in school like you are, you should simply play with what you have. I have yet to play with an after market shaft that was worth the money, especially predators.
 
Wow - you guys are as advertised, I just got off the plane coming back home (we just started Thanksgiving break) and didn't expect to see many responses. Thanks for the input everyone =).

To address one of the replies, i shoot with a triangle tip. I don't exactly remember what cue they were on but I have tried a sniper a couple of times and remember liking it. Any other suggestions for tips that hit similarly?

(On an unrelated note, that 7 cow cue story was awesome)
 
Last edited:
kamui and moori are pretty similar depending on hardness. And unless your cue is warped or something, you will never be limited by your equipment. especially mcdermott cues. some of the best players i see play using the "worst" cues, while some of the worst players chase after the magic cue.
 
If you have a butt that feels comfortable go with an OB 1.
There is a member here, (KoinKid) that was/is selling an Eliminator sneaky with a OB shaft at a good price. I have several butts with a 5/16 - 14 joint pin that my OB fits, including an Eliminator.
The reason that I mentioned the Eliminator is that its normally a $20 cue.
Its a great looking sneaky and shoots pretty decent with the original shaft, but put an OB on it and it just gets better, way better. Its whatever you feel comfy with and works for you. As someone mentioned, its not the arrow, its the indian. Very true, the combination that works lights out for one shooter, may not work for yourself.
Also the tip is of mucho importance. I just changed the OB and a Schon shaft to Talisman soft yesterday and I'm liking it lots. I couldn't count how many tips I've ripped off and changed after a few games.
Have fun experimenting until you get the right combination for yourself. After all, thats what its all about, having fun.
Terry.
 
Last edited:
Life time(Morri) replacement on Mcdermott I shafts-

the title sayes it all seems the Wis Company put out something I have NEVER heard or seen! Free MOrri -every 6 months for LIFE! this might help in your cue choice! mark
 
There are magic cues and I own 2 of them!!! And by magic I mean they take the least amount of effort to get draw or follow. For me it comes down to balance, shaft taper and tip. Have you noticed that some cues take a lot of effort to draw while others draw easily?
My best advise to you at this point is to contact Shawn Putnam and buy one of his sneaky petes with the new Tiger Ultra X shaft. Shawn makes excellent cues that are well balance and just feel right. The Tiger Ultra X shaft is a low defection shaft without the stiff/hard feeling. Plus, that shaft comes with a Sniper tip which really grips the cue ball. He also has great prices on his Sneaky Petes ($225 to $350 depending). I absolutely swear by this shaft now! It's so accurate and it is easier to manage the deflection issues.
That's my 2 cents.
Best game in the world!
 
Welcome aboard Alan~!

The AZB family are wonderful and I think you will like it here. Many opinions, take everything with a pretzel and a beer.:D

There is a whole section dedicated to buy/sell where there are professionals that can help answer your questions as well as many players who know their weapons well. http://forums.azbilliards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Also, if you are near any events going on, there is usually a cue company rep available onsite. You can take your cue to them and have them inspect it to make sure it is in good working order. They will let you know if it needs replacing.

Have fun..Donna
 
Welcome

Welcome aboard young man!!

I spiced you up with a full boat of green!! Use the power wisely!

Remember to use subscriptions and check your USERCP often for nice comments! LOL.

Good luck with your cue!!

Ray
(plays with OB-1 shaft);)
 
Back
Top