"nice" house cues

sdello

Registered
I have another equipment question. I'm thinking of getting some "nice" cues for the house. Say in the $125-$150/each range.

I'm not really knowlegeable about the different makers. These would be cues for anyone to use when we play.

any recommendations/guidance in making a selection is appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have another equipment question. I'm thinking of getting some "nice" cues for the house. Say in the $125-$150/each range.

I'm not really knowlegeable about the different makers. These would be cues for anyone to use when we play.

any recommendations/guidance in making a selection is appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

I was at a pool room that had Diamond branded one piece cues that were very nice.

IF you are looking for 2 pc cues, I would suggest asking AZB Member Webbs Billiards what he's got. I bought from him in the past, super fast shipping, great packaging and better price.
http://forums.azbilliards.com/member.php?u=77617

tank69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't go wrong with a Dufferin one piece and they are around $40. I'm always looking for good one piece house cues for conversions. Gonna check out Webbs

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I have a Players HXTE10 that is low deflection and has a nice feel/hit. runs about $130. Players has a lot of other nice cues in the $100-150 price range. It seems like other manufacturers (Fury, McDermott, Viking, etc) do too. Must be a popular price point.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't go wrong with a Dufferin one piece and they are around $40. I'm always looking for good one piece house cues for conversions. Gonna check out Webbs

This was my first thought. Straight one piece dufferins play very well.

Slow Eddie

I only look Filipino.
Silver Member
McDermott Luckys can be had for as little as $40 apiece, wrapped or unwrapped. Lots of colors so folks can identify "their" cue.

Bobo

Registered
Nice cues within price range

I recommend Player's cues. There are varying levels, as with most manufacturers. The good thing about Player's cues is that:
A) they have a wide selection within your price range, and
B) they come with a lifetime warranty against warpage.

So, should your shaft ever warp, which does happen, you just ship it back to the manufacturer (or us, if you buy from us), and they replace it. No questions asked.

- Judson Bobo
Everything Billiards

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
old brunswick house cues

look at some of the antique pool cue sites. you can find old brunswick house cues that are really nice for your price. great house cues. !!!!!!

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

When you say "house cues" I assume you mean one piece cues. That's some serious money for one piece cues, not enough for Titlists, but still serious money.

My first thought is to look for some old Dufferins or Valley Supremes. You might also find some old Brunswicks in nice shape (Not Titlists), which would really be very cool I think.

So, my first response is not for new cues but old ones.

My second thought is to consider two piece cues. That is my strategy. I don't have my table yet, but I have my "house cues". They are C and D series McDermotts. Not with points but merry widows, lower end cues. They can be had in great shape for relatively little money, and are seriously great playing cues. The additional advantage for me is that they are "special", real "vintage" cues, that carry a legendary status and are even collectable.

You could, of course, look at new cues as well. But I don't know of any one piece cues that I would prefer over the old ones and I can't imagine any new cues that in that price range that can really touch how classy or well playing the old McDermotts are.

When I have my room done, there will be C and D McDermotts on the wall. :thumbup:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
look at some of the antique pool cue sites. you can find old brunswick house cues that are really nice for your price. great house cues. !!!!!!

If he is going one piece then I very strongly agree with this. Hard to argue with old Brunswicks.

1 Lone Wolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old Brunswick house cues

I have recently purchased 5 old Brunswick pool tables. Along with these I got a lot of old Brunswick house cues, They are for sale and they are old. Thanks

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had schmelke make me a few 1 piece FS house cues a few years ago. I got a custom length and they used bacote wood. A good bit cheaper than what you are looking to spend but cant recall exact price.

Give them a call, they were very helpful.

Ian

sdello

Registered
Thanks guys. When I said house cues I meant that they will stay in the house and do not necessarily need to break down, but two piece is definitely an option. Actually for "nice" a two piece is desirable because they are much more ornate and look nicer. I stopped by the local billiard supply store next to where I play in a local league and selected a couple of Players cues. They were marked ~$110-115 and I got them for $100 each. I was pleased to see the recommendations for Players and I trusted the guy to give me a fair deal. I looked them up online and couldn't seem to find the exact models. The Players logo is a P with two "Nike-style" swooshes around it. one cue has an"I210" and the other has a "128" on it. Did I do okay? They seem like nice cues.

taemin952

XiaoTing Pan's Soulmate
Silver Member
I wanted to post about this too!

I have always LOVED Nick Varner Signature Series house cues. They are $40 each. Sometime after I break, it's just so well balanced and made that I continue playing the game with it. The pictures on Nick's website are terrible as they don't show the entire cue, but if one sees one from a foot away, it's a thing of beauty. 4 pointer and NOT a big, long and protruding butt bumper.

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys. When I said house cues I meant that they will stay in the house and do not necessarily need to break down, but two piece is definitely an option. Actually for "nice" a two piece is desirable because they are much more ornate and look nicer. I stopped by the local billiard supply store next to where I play in a local league and selected a couple of Players cues. They were marked ~$110-115 and I got them for $100 each. I was pleased to see the recommendations for Players and I trusted the guy to give me a fair deal. I looked them up online and couldn't seem to find the exact models. The Players logo is a P with two "Nike-style" swooshes around it. one cue has an"I210" and the other has a "128" on it. Did I do okay? They seem like nice cues.

Only problem two piece cues seem to find legs and walk out!!

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand why you want to do this, because I did too. In my retirement community I have the nicest table and I held a lot of games. I left some pretty nice cues out for visitors. Well, the regular players have their own tables so they bring their own cues. They also treat your table with respect.

Some others, who jump up after stroking, bang and ding the cues into the lights. This freaks me out. I ended up writing out rules which I handed to any new player. Sit on the table, put a drink on the table and your out, never to return. Bang a light and your issued a cheap black paint cue for the rest of the night and cannot return until you buy your own stick.

Am I an asshole for feeling this way? Maybe, but I don't really care. While at another game at a friends house I watched a couple of guys when deciding what shot to make were tapping the loaner cues on the table edge.
Not too good for the shaft or the table finish. My buddy called the next day for a copy of the "house" rules to post in his home. The drummers have not been back.

Supply a couple of very cheap sticks. Anyone who cares about it will have their own.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I understand why you want to do this, because I did too. In my retirement community I have the nicest table and I held a lot of games. I left some pretty nice cues out for visitors. Well, the regular players have their own tables so they bring their own cues. They also treat your table with respect.

Some others, who jump up after stroking, bang and ding the cues into the lights. This freaks me out. I ended up writing out rules which I handed to any new player. Sit on the table, put a drink on the table and your out, never to return. Bang a light and your issued a cheap black paint cue for the rest of the night and cannot return until you buy your own stick.

Am I an asshole for feeling this way? Maybe, but I don't really care. While at another game at a friends house I watched a couple of guys when deciding what shot to make were tapping the loaner cues on the table edge.
Not too good for the shaft or the table finish. My buddy called the next day for a copy of the "house" rules to post in his home. The drummers have not been back.

Supply a couple of very cheap sticks. Anyone who cares about it will have their own.

I think what you have done is a very good idea. If the visitors know how they are expected to treat your equipment, you should not have any issues. I think some people could get offensive if you asked them to treat your equipment with respect, this way they know what is expected of them. I feel the same way as you do about my stuff, I spent a lot of money on it, its nice, and I expect you to respect it if I invite you to use it. I fully understand felt, cushions, etc. wear out, rails and lights should not.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
thumbs up

I had schmelke make me a few 1 piece FS house cues a few years ago. I got a custom length and they used bacote wood. A good bit cheaper than what you are looking to spend but cant recall exact price.

Give them a call, they were very helpful.

Ian

great advise You can still buy a cue from them for under a 100 bucks./
MMike

sdello

Registered
Thanks for all the input. My brother likes to play but isn't avid like most of us. He lives in a nice neighborhood and a lot of his friends and acquaintances have more money than I'll ever have. I was looking to get him some quality cues, beyond the typical 1-piece house cues, so the equipment matches the house and his lifestyle without spending crazy money. Thanks for all the advice.