No good deed goes unpunished...and I feel a little stupid.

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So before I get started, I realize this is predominately my fault. Sticking your neck out for a total stranger is bound to lead to having it cut off.

Couple of weeks ago I was contacted by a newly registered user who saw that 6 months ago I had a Ricco Cervantes cue listed for sale here in the forum.

This person claimed to be Ricco's grandson.

Rico3rdviaPM said:
Is there anyway you can provide me with some information.....im looking to buy it back....the cue was stolen from me some years back.....my Name is Rigoberto Rico Cervantes the 3rd"...and "Ricco" was my grandfather....please help me bro.....he just passed about a month ago...and i have no other way to get a cue that he made just for me....any kind of info would be helpful...im almost willing to bet you got it in Corpus Christi Texas,,,,or the surrounding area

Rico3rdviaPM said:
"Ricco" was my grandfather...the reason "Rico" is on it...is because he made it especially for me... give me a call....we'll talk....312-273-XXXX

The cue was in fact unique in that it was the only one I've seen with "Rico" one "c" rather than "Ricco" two "c's".

After some discussion, emailed ID and checking with the source where I bought the cue his story checked out to be relatively legit. With the exception that the cue was stolen from him. The truth being that his father (Ricco Jr.) had many cues in his possession and pawned them without Rico the 3rd knowing about it. As he later admitted.

I sold the cue on ebay in June. He begged me to help him track it down. Offered me money, offered me cues...anything to get this one cue back. I genuinely felt sorry for him and offered to help. No compensation needed.

I was able to track down the person who bought the cue from me. Which was purchased for well under 200 dollars.

The cue of course was not for sale, as he was holding this cue for his friend.

I forwarded the info to Rico the 3rd, who asked if I would continue to work with the cue owner on his behalf since I had built a rapport with this guy spanning a few days. I agreed, felt it was the right thing to do and genuinely wanted to help.

Over the next few days I talked to the cue owner a few times and convinced him to do the right thing and help me get this cue back to the grandson of the cue maker where it belonged. However it would cost him...big shocker...500.00 dollars.

Rico would not agree to send money until the cue was in his possession and cue owner would not accept paypal because he only knew how to send money not receive it. Red flags all over the place.

Stupid me wanting to really help Rico get this cue back I convinced the cue owner to ship me the cue on my word. Rico was thrilled and told me without question that as soon as the cue was in his possession he would mail payment...

Rico of course wasted no time in having a family member pick the cue up from me and promised to mail a check to the cue owner the very next day.

I took him for his word. We had talked for hours in the prior weeks and I made the mistake of considering him a friend.

Well of course no money order was ever sent and the cue owner is turning to me for his payment. After 7 days of texts, phone calls and emails to Rico without a single response I'm going to pay the 500.00 dollars.

Lesson learned.

...I don't believe I was scammed, I just think this Rico kid is a deadbeat.

Last edited:

Tokyo-dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sucks..........I just can't believe the guy would go through so much trouble to scam his way into a $500 cue....

Dave

mmedford

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel bad for you; but treat every transaction as business... it's always C.O.D.

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel bad for you; but treat every transaction as business... it's always C.O.D.
That's really where I went wrong. If I had just told Rico that I would hold the cue until payment was complete, ala escrow, it would have saved me. At that point if this kid couldn't have raised the money I could have returned the cue and walked away.

I was a sucker for a happy ending and it worked out for everyone but me.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's really where I went wrong. If I had just told Rico that I would hold the cue until payment was complete, ala escrow, it would have saved me. At that point if this kid couldn't have raised the money I could have returned the cue and walked away.

I was a sucker for a happy ending and it worked out for everyone but me.

Whether he responds or not, tell him you are going to the authorities about it very soon and he needs to get ahold of you about it.

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is he a member on this site? I can find him when I do a search
user name is Wreckage.

I changed it in my post so there wouldn't be any confusion.

He registered specifically because of the cue though. He wasn't already a member.

I do believe he is the grandson of Ricco Cervantes. I think he just got what he wanted and saw an opportunity to skip payment and took it.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Yer a Good Man Bishop, thats all I can say.

I think we have all been in similar situations where we try and do a good deed and it can back fire sometimes.

There is such a thing as Karma. You know true to your heart that you had good intentions.

Something good will eventually come your way and Ricco Suavee will also reap his rewards, hopefully sooner than later.

But, what a Rotten thing to do to someone.

Sent you a Green. I know that doesn't make up for anything.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Man, that's a lot of work for someone to pull a scam like that.

That's harsh.....man, I feel for you. That sucks. :(

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Bishop. Is this a Cell or land line?

Cell and I will be sending him a text.

Land line and I will give him a call.

With your permission of course as I don't want to mess up the remote possibility of you actually getting paid.

I can get nasty with the best of them if that is what it takes.

Last edited:

jeromyh13

Registered
You are a very good man. Better than most. With all the help you put into getting the cue back AND paying the seller just so he doesn't get screwed either!

Hope karma comes back to you in a good way!

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

With your permission of course as I don't want to mess up the remote possibility of you actually getting paid.

Lets not do that. I appreciate the gesture but I think it'll just make things worse. I'm actually going to edit the number out...can you do me a favor and do the same on your post too.

...There may be a point in time where we can revisit this idea but not now.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Bishop... if you were holding the cue, then they could have easily just picked it up with cash in hand, and you sent the check to the "seller"... cause you know, you can trust yourself to mail it.... but to trust anyone else... not a chance.....

Personally, I would have just advised the seller if you want $500 for the cue, here is the guy who will pay you, gave him ricco's number, and you are OUT.

PS: His phone number is a Chicago area code... not an IL area code, but the city of Chicago.... big RED FLAG there :)

You should have PM'd me when this was going down, I would have found out who this bum was before you made any deals !!

mmedford

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You have the capabilities to make it look like an accident; right?

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I will edit the number out. Sorry about that. As I mentioned, I don't want to mess up the remote chance that you might get paid at some point.

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bishop... if you were holding the cue, then they could have easily just picked it up with cash in hand, and you sent the check to the "seller"... cause you know, you can trust yourself to mail it.... but to trust anyone else... not a chance.....

Personally, I would have just advised the seller if you want $500 for the cue, here is the guy who will pay you, gave him ricco's number, and you are OUT.

PS: His phone number is a Chicago area code... not an IL area code, but the city of Chicago.... big RED FLAG there :)

You should have PM'd me when this was going down, I would have found out who this bum was before you made any deals !!
You're 100% right. You know me I'm a cynic half the time. This was very out of character for me...just felt like the right thing to do.

I won't be sticking my nose in anyone else's business again, that's for sure.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
call the local police in his area and register a complaint. maybe tell him you are pressing charges first and see what he says.
it went beyond a civil matter with his antics and he turned it into a felony.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Lets not do that. I appreciate the gesture but I think it'll just make things worse. I'm actually going to edit the number out...can you do me a favor and do the same on your post too.

...There may be a point in time where we can revisit this idea but not now.

Worse? you're already out $500, unless of course you're already pursuing him by a different method

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
So before I get started, I realize this is predominately my fault. Sticking your neck out for a total stranger is bound to lead to having it cut off.

Couple of weeks ago I was contacted by a newly registered user who saw that 6 months ago I had a Ricco Cervantes cue listed for sale here in the forum.

This person claimed to be Ricco's grandson.

The cue was in fact unique in that it was the only one I've seen with "Rico" one "c" rather than "Ricco" two "c's".

After some discussion, emailed ID and checking with the source where I bought the cue his story checked out to be relatively legit. With the exception that the cue was stolen from him. The truth being that his father (Ricco Jr.) had many cues in his possession and pawned them without Rico the 3rd knowing about it. As he later admitted.

I sold the cue on ebay in June. He begged me to help him track it down. Offered me money, offered me cues...anything to get this one cue back. I genuinely felt sorry for him and offered to help. No compensation needed.

I was able to track down the person who bought the cue from me. Which was purchased for well under 200 dollars.

The cue of course was not for sale, as he was holding this cue for his friend.

I forwarded the info to Rico the 3rd, who asked if I would continue to work with the cue owner on his behalf since I had built a rapport with this guy spanning a few days. I agreed, felt it was the right thing to do and genuinely wanted to help.

Over the next few days I talked to the cue owner a few times and convinced him to do the right thing and help me get this cue back to the grandson of the cue maker where it belonged. However it would cost him...big shocker...500.00 dollars.

Rico would not agree to send money until the cue was in his possession and cue owner would not accept paypal because he only knew how to send money not receive it. Red flags all over the place.

Stupid me wanting to really help Rico get this cue back I convinced the cue owner to ship me the cue on my word. Rico was thrilled and told me without question that as soon as the cue was in his possession he would mail payment...

Rico of course wasted no time in having a family member pick the cue up from me and promised to mail a check to the cue owner the very next day.

I took him for his word. We had talked for hours in the prior weeks and I made the mistake of considering him a friend.

Well of course no money order was ever sent and the cue owner is turning to me for his payment. After 7 days of texts, phone calls and emails to Rico without a single response I'm going to pay the 500.00 dollars.

Lesson learned.

...I don't believe I was scammed, I just think this Rico kid is a deadbeat.

Bishop you went above and beyond the call of duty. You should be proud of yourself for the noble actions you've done. Most people are exceedingly honest. Don't let one flake ruin your perception of people. Rico didn't win. He probably just sealed his doom. I've found that Mother Fate is not in the least bit tolerant.

For 10 years I supported a charity (Los Angeles Child Abuse Prevention) by donating every year to help their "awareness" campaigns. I got to know the caller pretty well over this time and was delivered a packet with their promotional materials etc. The amounts were small, no donation over $50.

I also supported a police charity organization, supposedly for the families of injured policemen - same kind of idea.

When the internet came along, I looked up both. The child abuse had lost their charitable status some years before and the guy was scamming. The police society was a political group.

My bleeding heart healed - rapidly. Yes I do charitable things, but I investigate them very well before I do. People like Rico prey on the goodness in others. We just need to be aware of that.