No more cocobolo in Longoni cues

Santin23

Registered
Few days ago, Longoni posted on its Facebook page an announcement about they will stop using Cocobolo in their production cues. Does anyone know the reasons? Is there any prohibition with this wood? A Quality or economic issue?

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Many Rosewoods are getting harder to find and getting onto the list. I guess its not going to get better. The cues I build use very little and the pieces I have had for 30 years will last me a long time.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I wonder if we will see the production cue companies shifting to more domestic woods given the supply chain and importation issues impacting everything right now.

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cocobolo is also one of those woods that your body can become allergic to over time. Scratchy hands, sinus irritation.

It’s probably the other reasons listed above but just saying.

Santin23

Registered
Thank you guys, I’ve been reading several articles about this issue, so I’m amazed about how the price has increased recently. In fact, one post is entitled “Cocobolo: A fine wood more valuable than coke” 😝

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Palmer cue from the early 70’s that is all Cocobolo wood. It was my very first pool cue.
The wood was strikingly different than the other popular woods used for cue making back then.

JC

Coos Cues
Toxicity is easily taken care of by using proper masks etc. Main issue is its getting harder to get. Its been on the CITES list since '17.
I'm not convinced the juice is worth the squeeze any more with it. Seems like no matter how hard I try it finds it's way into my system.

I love cocobolo and have about 200 nice pieces in stock. They may sit there for the rest of time. Well I did buy so much because I saw the supply writing on the wall. My allergies were not anticipated.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you guys, I’ve been reading several articles about this issue, so I’m amazed about how the price has increased recently. In fact, one post is entitled “Cocobolo: A fine wood more valuable than coke” 😝
So does this make my all Cocobolo Lucasi cue worth more?
It's 10 years old.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not convinced the juice is worth the squeeze any more with it. Seems like no matter how hard I try it finds it's way into my system.

I love cocobolo and have about 200 nice pieces in stock. They may sit there for the rest of time. Well I did buy so much because I saw the supply writing on the wall. My allergies were not anticipated.
I have one of your cocobolo cues. :)

Damn fine cue!

11D43E75-7645-4DDE-A3F9-16474BEAA97B.jpeg

E6C681A8-2F9A-4863-BDC1-772C058A07A9.jpeg