No more Mosconi Cup points - Teams to be chosen entirely as wildcards

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
The new press release is out (not yet up on AZ), and Matchroom has decided to no longer choose the teams based on BCA points. All teams will be chosen by Matchroom themselves.

Many of us knew this was coming eventually, but now that it's official, how does everyone feel about it?

EDIT: I hate to say it, but I feel this will likely result in the strongest European team of all time. Players like Ralf, Mika, and Darren will no longer need to earn spots based on points, but will be able to qualify based on experience. That will also ensure Archer makes the US team, but unfortunately the US team has a small talent pool to draw from.

Last edited:

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
they ought to choose two for each side then let the captains choose the rest !

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This is pure speculation, but I wonder if the Bonus Ball players campaigned for this. Surely, they don't want Bonus Ball participation to hurt their chances of landing a spot on the Mosconi Cup team. Now they probably don't have to worry about missing major events that occur during the Bonus Ball season, which might not be a good thing for American pool.

Then again, maybe the Matchroom guys want Strickland back! Or, perhaps, the Mosconi Cup absence of Souquet, Europe's second best player in my reckoning, bothered them.

Strange time to change things. I thought we just witnessed the greatest Mosconi Cup ever. Why fiddle with a winning formula? Something feels a little wrong here.

... and, as an afterthought, would hate to think that this is the first step on the road to using ABP rankings to choose Team America.

Last edited:

CB Jones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you should have to play your way in with the top 5 on the points list being awarded spots on the team. That being said Matchroom is paying for the party so they can invite whoever they want.

Was there a reason given for the change?

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I think in the grand scheme of things, it just may work out for the USA being able to put one heck of a team together.
You could put Corey Duel or Earl in at any time. How would that be a bad thing.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Question: Is the Mosconi cup more of a nation/pride type of thing or is it more about getting an audience and a rating?

It would seem logical that the top 5 best players play if it was more of the nation/pride type of thing. However, we all know that the top 5 players for each country may not be the best names or be the best seller. Hence maybe why it's now matchroom will pick the players?

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Question: Is the Mosconi cup more of a nation/pride type of thing or is it more about getting an audience and a rating?

It would seem logical that the top 5 best players play if it was more of the nation/pride type of thing. However, we all know that the top 5 players for each country may not be the best names or be the best seller. Hence maybe why it's now matchroom will pick the players?

It all depends how we define our "best players" also. If SVB wins a lot of tournaments throughout the year, but has a very poor record against the Europeans, is he the best for the team? That was just an example, of course. We all know that SVB beats the world in any format. But if Earl has a better record in the MC format than someone else, I'd like to see him considered the "best player" for the spot.

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
I don't like it. Sounds like people with a hook up at matchroom will be chosen instead of people that play their way in. IMO they should've gone the other way and made the top five on each side play. No resting on your reputation.

best,

Justin

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I think it's a great idea since it means that I have a theoretical chance of being chosen :)

Seriously, I think it's a mistake that will cause many hard feelings in the professional pool world among players and fans. What happens to the player who scores in the top 5 BCA rankings but is overlooked for another player who ranks #19?

What's going to happen to fan-support when #19 dogs a shot and loses the Cup?

Fans are going to accuse MatchRoom of sabotaging the losing team by choosing less-than-the-best players.

The further you get from Objective, the more dangerous your situations become.

And, it makes no sense from a marketing standpoint. Every one of the spectators are pool fans; they're going to watch no matter who's on the team. Stop ten people on the street and tell them that Earl Strickland is going to be in next year's Mosconi Cup. Are they going to be excited? Or, are they going to walk away from you, the crazy person?

Last edited:

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
I hate to say it, but I feel this will likely result in the strongest European team of all time. Players like Ralf, Mika, and Darren will no longer need to earn spots based on points, but will be able to qualify based on experience. That will also ensure Archer makes the US team, but unfortunately the US team has a small talent pool to draw from.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think it's a great idea since it means that I have a theoretical chance of being chosen :)

Seriously, I think it's a mistake that will cause many hard feelings in the professional pool world among players and fans. What happens to the player who scores in the top 5 BCA rankings but is overlooked for another player who ranks #19?

What's going to happen to fan-support when #19 dogs a shot and loses the Cup?

Fans are going to accuse MatchRoom of sabotaging the losing team by choosing less-than-the-best players.

The further you get from Objective, the more dangerous your situations become.

I see what you're saying, but does the #5 guy have a right to complain? Matchroom puts up the money don't they? No one has a right to complain about who makes the team. However, if us fans don't like the selections, we have the right to NOT support it. I just hope they put together some teams that will win it for us.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I'm with SJM. It's baffling they'd change the formula when it's already successful, kind of a rarity in pool. Were lots of people not watching, both live and on the stream? Did the UK not like seeing europe win again? Why did they think they need to 'fix' this?

Some squabble with the BCA maybe?

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
i think it sucks royally. (pun intended)

the course of action i suggest, is a course of action i cant suggest

RShellhouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isn't Matchroom a European company?

So now they will get to pick who plays their handpicked European Team?

Ummmmmm ...yeah...that seems fair...

Meezer Girl

not now, I'm eating !!!
Silver Member
As already stated, it's MR's party so, unless they ask for a vote, we have no input :frown:

I thnk we will need to hold our judgement until we see who they do pick.

What I REALLY would like to see is a switch to 10 ball

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
I think... Oh wait. Matchroom could care less what I think.

OTOH they may dilute the Euro team to give the US a chance to win :p

Last edited:

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whether USA likes to admit it or not as a nation it is miles behind the current standard of Pool that is being set by Europe albeit a very close 2012 Mosconi Cup deafeat.

I suspect that Matchroom want to make it more competetive as a 'one off' specticle, which could mean the mouth watering prospect of squaring up the likes of Strickland vs Souquet which is BOX OFFICE viewing! :grin:

Matchroom also have the responsibility to provide world class 'POOL' entertainment if it is to gain further TV coverage worldwide...

Europe:
It could be said that a 2nd string team could beat the USA at the moment - this isn't a dig just an observation - for example in no particular order:

Niels Feijen
Mark Gray
Daryl Peach
mika Immonen
Tony Dargo
Karl Boyes

This is just mentioning a few at random. There is still about 5 other guys that could be thrown in whom all have experience on the big stage.

Can't wait for this years event :thumbup: - However I do feel for Pool Players in Europe as the standard is so high many players will never see an invite. There are 2-3 Polish players who are seriously beginning to KICK-TAIL but their play is rather boring to watch - I doubt if any of these guys will get a call to represent Europe..?

American Pool is beginning to look elitist. :sorry:

RShellhouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about anybody living and playing in the US is not eligible for the European team?

If the pool scene is so ahead of America....why are they here?

R

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I've posted this before in some form... I think each team should have a committee of 3 or so accomplished, devoted people choose a captain. Then let them choose the 5 players, and give the captain extra voting weight. Let the US live or die on their own decisions and vice versa.

That said, I have the utmost respect for Matchroom - they have the knowledge, expertise, passion and apparent desire to field the most competitive, entertaining spectacle in pool. Barry, Luke and co seem to be really into this and take much pride in it.

I'll judge it as it plays out. It's their ballgame and last thing they want is for it to be an epic fail. I'm sure they've put a lot of thought into it.