Official 14.1 High Runs

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Get_A_Grip said:
Who is George Mikula...I've never heard of him. 315 balls is a lot of balls for not being his high run. Do you have any more background about this player (tournament player, roadplayer, etc.)

Just curious, thanks.

I remember George from Julians, on 14th Street in Manahttan, during the mid to late sixtys and before Chelsea. He was a pool legend throughout Manhattan, could always be found in Julians. Recall him being a real nice guy, would always say hello and always acted the gentleman. At that time in NYC one had to be sixteen to get inside a poolroom but I played ok for a kid and would play there quite often. Whenever George played it would be like watching a zen master at work, especially at straight pool. Don't remember any particuliar matches or opponents but there were always big names dropping by to play him and 100 plus ball runs were routine for George. As soon as he started to play crowds would form around the table area. He was also amazing at 3 rail billiards and was known to also run out at snooker. Became friendly with this real nice guy named Monty several years back, some called him "Trick Shot Monty", used to perform exhibitions, well, he went way back with and knew George pretty well, his opinion of George was "one of the greatest pool talents, ever". Think that his drinking problems prohibited him from fullfilling his potential. Too bad. If anyone has a few interesting pool stories about George, I think the board, and myself, would love to hear them. I think I recall Dick Leonard mentioning him at one time.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bobby said:
Bruin, Mika ran 267, then Ginky came in and ran 252. I was on the table next to Ginky and saw most of it. Johnny Ervolino also ran exactly 252 around that same time, then 333 about a year later. For the record Ervolino's highest ever run was 361 which he ran in 1967.
George Mikula ran 336 at Chelsea Billiards, at least that's what the sign behind the counter used to say.
I agree that Mizerak and Murphy should have had higher high runs then those listed. I'm guessing they did have higher runs in practice.

Bobby

Ervolino may have been the best Straight Pool shooter for the money since Greenleaf. He played Teddy Elias on his table in Toledo in the early 70's. Teddy ran 100's on that table every day and Ervolino bet all he had ($7,000) on a race to 1,000. I heard it was close until Johnny hit him with a 200+ run, and Elias never recovered.

I can only think of one guy Ervolino might not have played 14.1 with for the cash. Lassiter. Luther ran 90's and 100's all day and night, inning after inning. If they had kept a Balls Per Inning average for the Johnson City and Stardust 14.1 tourneys, Lassiter would have broken every record. And I know Steve M. averaged 48+ at one of his World Championships, which is phenomenol.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay, I've had this question in mind for a long time. Do you know if Lassiter came up playing 14.1, then switched to 9ball because that's what everyone was playing or vice versa?

I always hear the stoies about his 9ball game, but when 14.1 is mentioned it seems he's as strong or better at that!

Thanx, Gerry

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
I can only think of one guy Ervolino might not have played 14.1 with for the cash. Lassiter. Luther ran 90's and 100's all day and night, inning after inning. If they had kept a Balls Per Inning average for the Johnson City and Stardust 14.1 tourneys, Lassiter would have broken every record. And I know Steve M. averaged 48+ at one of his World Championships, which is phenomenol.

Actually, Johnny Ervolino once told me that, in the late 1960's, when Johnny was at his very best, the player he feared the most at 14.1 for money was BCA Hall of Famer Joe Balsis.

huckster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gerry said:
Jay, I've had this question in mind for a long time. Do you know if Lassiter came up playing 14.1, then switched to 9ball because that's what everyone was playing or vice versa?

I always hear the stoies about his 9ball game, but when 14.1 is mentioned it seems he's as strong or better at that!

Thanx, Gerry

Lassister was a ball runner it didn't matter if it was 9ball, straight pool, one pocket, etc. My grandfather used to say his,wimpy, and Harold worst's shot selection was critized but they never missed. Playing any game my grandfather said no lead was safe with Wimpy he could run 10 racks of push out nineball, or 150 and out playing straight pool. He was feared by other players even in the 60's or 70's when he was past his prime. His game of choice was always nineball though. He played 14.1 at tourny's

Leil gay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't understand which was he your grandfathers cousin as you stated in a post 12-23-05 about cards, and I KNOW that was adifferent JR THAT YOU named in a post 5-25-06 who Jeanette Lee beat, why don't you share YOUR NAME(like you called out poolshark52 and he answered honestly) with this forum. I READ YOUR THREAD HISTORY BE WAITING FOR A REPLY. Using my name in your Peter and Wolf bullpoop fantasy tates and Mr. Willis is so wronggg!!!!!

Last edited:

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
Steve Lipsky said:
WOW, I didn't know that about Mosconi's 365. Jesus, I'm speechless... what can one say about that?

Hopefully I will run 200 when I am practicing for the 14.1 event :).

Bob, what do you think about Ervolino and the 300+? You were around the club in those days, right? You think he could've done it?

- Steve
From one Steve to another...I feel Johnny still had the juice to pull that off. Several yrs prior to that run he was staying with me here in Miami, he was hanging out in my home room and giving a few lessons. Now I saw him run 147 screwing' around...ran a rack lefty, ran a rack one handed the whole time whistlin' and singin some 50's song. I can have a half dozen noterized statements from people that watched it :D

Last edited:

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
jimmyg said:
I remember George from Julians, on 14th Street in Manahttan, during the mid to late sixtys and before Chelsea. He was a pool legend throughout Manhattan, could always be found in Julians. Recall him being a real nice guy, would always say hello and always acted the gentleman. At that time in NYC one had to be sixteen to get inside a poolroom but I played ok for a kid and would play there quite often. Whenever George played it would be like watching a zen master at work, especially at straight pool. Don't remember any particuliar matches or opponents but there were always big names dropping by to play him and 100 plus ball runs were routine for George. As soon as he started to play crowds would form around the table area. He was also amazing at 3 rail billiards and was known to also run out at snooker. Became friendly with this real nice guy named Monty several years back, some called him "Trick Shot Monty", used to perform exhibitions, well, he went way back with and knew George pretty well, his opinion of George was "one of the greatest pool talents, ever". Think that his drinking problems prohibited him from fullfilling his potential. Too bad. If anyone has a few interesting pool stories about George, I think the board, and myself, would love to hear them. I think I recall Dick Leonard mentioning him at one time.

Was he known as George the Machine?

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
George from Julians

Don't really remember his being called George the Machine, Voodoo. But I'm going back quite a ways to the mid-late sixtys. Just remember him as George from Julians and an amazing player. I understand from others that knew him beyond that time frame, as well as various posters here, that after Julians, he spent most of his time at Chelsea and that he mentored Ginky and some other notables. Also read that there used to be a sign at Chelsea stating that George had a 320+ run there- not difficult to imagine. Maybe some of the New York posters can add more to this. Am curious myself about any big money matches between George and other well known, class players. True, due to alcohol, he passed away much too soon.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BigCat said:
bruin70,

Your earlier quote of:

""C" players - 30's,,,"B" players - 40-50's,,,,,"A" players start at around 90-100. open level starts at about 170-180. 250-260 seems to identify those "pro" players. and it seems the REALLY top players have popped WELL ABOVE 300. and then you have those 14.1 ONLY players who's high runs don't mirror their 9ball speed. of course you have to add consistancyto the mix,,,,,,,, but i think high runs are a pretty good indicator."

I believe is a little skewed. A true "C" player can't even run a rack in 9 ball, so how are they supposed to run 30 balls? Same with "B" players. Are you referring to a different ABC system than I am thinking of? If you are talking in terms of 14.1 only, and not any other game (10, 9, 8, or one pocket), is there another way that you are measuring this.

In my experience, a "C" player would miss after 4-6 balls in the first rack. Did I misunderstand what you meant?

Also, I consider Max Eberle a real pro (as evidenced by his recent performance in the world 14.1), and his website claims his high run is 158.

In NY a good C player is supposed to run a table or 2 in each set of 9Ball. A 'D' never runs a rack. It is a regional thing.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
poolshark52 said:
my name is pat howey...used to live in rochester ny. i grew up playing mike siegil, hubbard, danny d. crane helped me a lot and babe cranfield was my idle and mentor. i knew him over 40 years. never saw a day he played he didnt run a 200! the great thing about him is he would answer a question after a shot! i retired to fla. and dont play much 14.1 now....getting to old to concentrate ...play a little 1 hole now that is about it...

Oh man, that is straight pool heaven. You got any good stories about those legends? You saw Sigel, Crane, Cranfield, DiLiberto and Hubbard all play--you have any opinion on who was the best?

Last edited:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Bobby said:
Steve, I've heard it was 276 that Greenleaf ran, but very impressive. I also think that Mosconi has the all-time high run on a 5 x 10 with 365.

I would think that Mizerak had to have a 350+ at least in practice at some point in his life.

BTW, when are you going to run 200 Steve? :)

Bobby

Irving Crane's 309 apparently was on a 5x10 table in an exhibition in 1939.

poolshark52

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pool bum

in pratice...babe crandfield was by far the best 14.1 player i ever saw! i used to go from corning to syracuse with my buddys when we were 15 - 16 just to watch him pratice. never saw a day that he didnt have a 200 run...and i personally racked when he had two 490's !!!
ofcorse crane was the best tournment player in rochester. i watched him run 376 one night also...i was racking again!
larry hubbert was a great player also and the best road player i knew at the time. we played a lot when he wasnt on the road. he was not a big ball runner but very consistant 70 - 80s but could hit you with a 150 at any time...also a nice guy and friend.
then comes mike seigle!!!! he and i played 14.1 almost every day. now this was in the early 70s.mike was 18 or so and he had just started to play the best pool i ever encountered. he just never missed !! and he also had no fear at all...i mean he never doged a shot...he was just incredible! a little story...we used to play for $10 and time...one afternoon we played and he broke first and i ran 100 out...i broke and he ran out...he broke i ran out..i broke he ran another 100..he broke i ran 93 and the little shit ran another 100 and out!! 6 games and i missed once and lost! larry saw his game and ended up takeing him on the road and he just became the best player i ever knew! i know him well, taught him to trout and salmon fish, i have had his whole family charter my boat ...he was even cocky back then.....so ...mike was the best player i ever knew and he has sure proved that to everyone over the last 35 years...

ajrack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Over 300?

1> I was talking to Jimmy Moore about 20 years ago. He stated that "most of us burn out" at about 300 balls. He said you get in the zone for awhile and you just sort of Wake Up! He said he ran a few 300's and ran 302 in an exhibition / Balsis and Crane both ran over 300. Lassiter just ran lotsa balls, never kept count, he just got the money.
Boston Shorty told me that he saw Lassiter take a 3 foul penalty, 3 times, then ran out the 150 plus the 54 to win a game for $200
2> I watched Ed Kelly run 489 without missing...he was playing Dick Lane for $100 a game to 100 pts. Eddie ran 89 out/ 100 out/100 out/100 out/100 out without missing or playing a safe. It might not be the same as 400plus but it ain't bad, and he ran 100 plus many times in Vegas at the old Cue Club, in the 70's. He could really turn it on for the money!
Earl Shriver told me that Kelly was running over 200 every day warming up for the old Johnson City tourney.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I know it's a dead thread, but maybe the original poster wants to modify his list to confirm dallas west's run of 468. Unless the guy in his instructional video is mistaken, that's the correct number for a high run.

If someone runs 700 on a 7-foot table, would it be considered legit?
What about runs where nobody else was around? If a new record is caught on video would that be considered good enough? Eufemia's run sounds amazing and from what I understand there's no reason to think he'd try to fool anyone, but it seems strange to just accept a player's word about something they might claim in practice. Would a run be accepted as a new record if the player took a sleep break in between?

mark8950

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14.1 high runs

i think u are forgetting one of the best straight pool players, Dick Lane. i saw him run over 300 back to back against tommy kennedy in the 70's. tourney in new york. playing blocks of 500. sparky

Reactions: sjm