***OFFICIAL*** Review: Play Better Pool: Mastering The Basics with S. Lee and Randy G

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really don't want to give a grade on this video, just express what it has to offer, and why you might be interested.

First off, I did attend Scott Lee's Pool School, and most of the material he and Randy G cover in this DVD is redundant with the class. This, IMO, is a good thing. That said, if you did attend their Pool school, this DVD is an absolute MUST own. It serves as a refresher, and may reinforce what you learned. One compliments the other.

For people who don't know Randy G and Scott Lee, this DVD is a great introduction. It does not, however, replace what can be learned by attending their class. Nothing IMO replaces hands on work.

If you are not able to attend their classes, the DVD is certainly the next best thing. Both the class and DVD offer a lot.

It covers the rock bottom nuts and bolts of the classic pendulum stroke. Stance, grip, bridge are all broken down and covered extensively. The explain why, with sensible easy to understand explanations that make sense.

You may be a beginner player, or an expert player, both will benefit. Scott Lee and Randy G have worked with all levels hands on.

IMO, if you are a new shooter, it will give you the tools to diagnose gross problem areas of your stroke. If you are an expert shooter, and you take away just ONE aspect of the DVD and implement it into your own game, you are still coming away with a lot. Remember, this is the nuts and bolts, and if you can make just one improvement to your basic stroke that you will use on just about every shot you attempt, this DVD is at the least worth taking a look at. At all levels, it give a player the tools necessary to understand and diagnose common basic errors with your game. I am not insuinuating that you can't overcome what most would commonly call a flaw in a shooters stroke, for example Allen Hopkins' "Poke Stroke". He is a champion hall of famer, and his stroke works for him, no doubt. For the rest of us, this DVD will increase our level of play, or help us achive greater levels of play quicker, IMO.

Overall, the presentation is just like class, very high quality four camera angle video, good quality audio, and wonderful enthusiasm and love of the game comes across vividly. They even for the purpose of teaching play off each other well to convey a message, idea or thought as a student/teacher may interact.

51UmZ8rDA2L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Last edited:

Flettir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I checked and it is not in the AZBilliards Market place. I guess amazon is the best place to get it.

dgem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gregg said:
I really don't want to give a grade on this video, just express what it has to offer, and why you might be interested.

First off, I did attend Scott Lee's Pool School, and most of the material he and Randy G cover in this DVD is redundant with the class. This, IMO, is a good thing. That said, if you did attend their Pool school, this DVD is an absolute MUST own. It serves as a refresher, and may reinforce what you learned. One compliments the other.

For people who don't know Randy G and Scott Lee, this DVD is a great introduction. It does not, however, replace what can be learned by attending their class. Nothing IMO replaces hands on work.

If you are not able to attend their classes, the DVD is certainly the next best thing. Both the class and DVD offer a lot.

It covers the rock bottom nuts and bolts of the classic pendulum stroke. Stance, grip, bridge are all broken down and covered extensively. The explain why, with sensible easy to understand explanations that make sense.

You may be a beginner player, or an expert player, both will benefit. Scott Lee and Randy G have worked with all levels hands on.

IMO, if you are a new shooter, it will give you the tools to diagnose gross problem areas of your stroke. If you are an expert shooter, and you take away just ONE aspect of the DVD and implement it into your own game, you are still coming away with a lot. Remember, this is the nuts and bolts, and if you can make just one improvement to your basic stroke that you will use on just about every shot you attempt, this DVD is at the least worth taking a look at. At all levels, it give a player the tools necessary to understand and diagnose common basic errors with your game. I am not insuinuating that you can't overcome what most would commonly call a flaw in a shooters stroke, for example Allen Hopkins' "Poke Stroke". He is a champion hall of famer, and his stroke works for him, no doubt. For the rest of us, this DVD will increase our level of play, or help us achive greater levels of play quicker, IMO.

Overall, the presentation is just like class, very high quality four camera angle video, good quality audio, and wonderful enthusiasm and love of the game comes across vividly. They even for the purpose of teaching play off each other well to convey a message, idea or thought as a student/teacher may interact.

51UmZ8rDA2L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Does the video cover their aiming method?

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dgem said:
Does the video cover their aiming method?

Unfortunately, not on the DVD.

They introduce their aiming method, SAM, toward the end of their three day class.

Steve Ellis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Flettir said:
I checked and it is not in the AZBilliards Market place. I guess amazon is the best place to get it.

Unfortunately Amazon is out of stock as well. I don't like to back order things since they have my money right away.
Scott or Randy,
Any other outlets?

PKM

OB-1 Kenobi
Silver Member
Apparently there is a volume 2 as well

"Product Description
Take your game to the advanced level with the help of two of the top pool instructors in America. In this DVD, Randy Goettlicher and Scott Lee demonstrate and explain everything it takes to become a top level player. Among the topics covered are: 8-ball rules; 9-ball rules; cue ball quantification; three rail kicking system; two rail kicking system; one rail kicking system; aiming; 8-ball and 9-ball practice games; and frequently asked pool questions. In the Special Features section, you will also learn numerous impressive trick shots from Scott Lee. This DVD is an excellent training resource for any serious pool player!"

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
They're " ACTORS" now?
I'll wait for Scott to be in the area so I can get an autographed version.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
DVDs

Scott mentioned these in a post about a month ago. I pm'd him and he had me mail him a money order for both volumes. He sent me volume one and told me volume two would be sent in three weeks. Fairly soon, I'm thinking. I think he may have some SAM material in volume 2, but I suggest you verify with Scott first.

I received volume one and agree that it is very good. I have had three individual lessons with Scott and a 3 day Pool School with Randy and Scott and have also played a bit of pool with Scott.

I thought the video was very well produced and went over the basics very well. Since getting it, my practice has regressed in that I am going back to the basics and working on my stroke. I set up a video camera and I try to execute a stroke and some drills the same way Scott and Randy taught me years ago.

More than one person has mentioned to me lately that I seem to be stroking the ball better. I don't want to say too much because I do not want to jinx it, but I guess I have come full circle back to where Scott wanted to put me in the beginning. Creating a repeatable stroke that I can depend upon. That I know will produce x results and x cue ball movement when I input the proper pendulum motion.

I was waiting to get the second dvd to post but what the heck. The first is a must-buy.

Dennis Walsh

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play Better Pool dvds

The "Play Better Pool" dvd series can be purchased directly from either Randyg or myself. The dvds are each almost two hours long. I have been in contact with the producers and Vol. 2 has been shipped to us, and I'll be shipping out copies to everyone I owe Vol. 2 to, within the next couple of days. Vol. 1 & Vol. 2 are $40 each, or $65 for the set (prices include shipping). They can be purchased via cash, credit card, check, money order, or Paypal. Anyone interested can PM me here, or email me at poolology@aol.com.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com