One pocket shot what do you do?

Deadon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
daphish........As others have posted, the 2-railer on the 4, and cutting the 13 in at pocket speed are both excellent shots.....The one reason to possibly favor the 2-railer here, is because of the possible scratch if you accidentally hit the 13 too full when cutting it - which, needless to say, would be a disaster.

- Ghost

Anyone that scratches on that shot, is either drunk or should not be playing 1p. 30% rule, you'd have to miss by a mile. If he did scratch the 13 would be near the pocket (assumed) and I'm guessing with the placement of the 9 and 13, the other player would not have an easy decision, perhaps its not a disaster since the OP would now need 3 and they would be down table and in play for him.

Mike

Last edited:

Deadon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually if you didn't hang the 13 or the 4, the other player would just start pocketing the uptable balls.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

CueTable Help

I am a terrible One hole player and this is what I would try.

There's no way in hell you could bank the 13 like that and have the cb end up where you show it in the cuetable. i'm actually not 100% sure that bank can be made. you have to hit the 13 way too hard and too thin to have so little cb movement

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
daphish........As others have posted, the 2-railer on the 4, and cutting the 13 in at pocket speed are both excellent shots.....The one reason to possibly favor the 2-railer here, is because of the possible scratch if you accidentally hit the 13 too full when cutting it - which, needless to say, would be a disaster.

- Ghost

Ghost, there's a third option on the table:

CueTable Help

The argument for this shot (which I'm not disputing; just asking about) is that when you need only two (and maybe when scratching is a danger if you try to cut the 13) it's better to take a ball out of play than to put another into play (2-railing the 4). Do you agree it's time to play this tight?

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Anyone that scratches on that shot, is either drunk or should not be playing 1p. 30% rule, you'd have to miss by a mile.

It's 30 degrees, not 30 percent, and it only applies with 30 degree cuts. This cut is more than 45 degrees and the scratch is definitely on with a very slight error.

CueTable Help

Maybe this is one of those situations where it's best to overcut the shot to avoid leaving the bank and avoid the scratch.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

GMAC

Flip it.
Silver Member
Correct

I think the 4 is already in play (as a long bank) and might complicate safety play by giving your opponent two directions in which to shoot. Moving it to near your pocket might be an offensive/defensive move. So I (a one pocket nobody) would probably try it, especially since it leaves me fairly safe with an improved followup shot on the 13.

pj
chgo

Just because the four is up table doesn't mean it is not in play. If your opponent can play postion on it after making the two balls down table. I am sure you would feel like the 4 is in play.

Puttin the four in front of your hole or maybe even making it while freezing whitey to the top rail is the correct shot IMO.

Remember if you play one pocket a lot and you are comfortable on the table the four is extremely makable or hangable. I actually think the four is a dream shot in one pocket. Sometimes I think we out think ourselves. Shot with confidence and try to make the four. All you one holers should love this shot.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had this shot earlier, I was at 6 (pocket B).

If you're at 6, then normally you stay away from sending balls down table (even though you're backwards on your drawing LOL!!). Cut the 13-ball, and play the cueball all the way to make sure you don't sell a bank on the 4-ball.

That being said, 2-railing the 4-ball looks like a good lag and pretty free. Play the cueball hanging in the corner pocket area.

Fred <~~~ that's what the commentators might say

daphish1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
even though you're backwards on your drawing LOL!!

I never even noticed until someone else pointed that out earlier. I think i saw the spot on the head string and just started putting balls on the table. My first attempt at using a wei table and it showed up, so next one should have balls in the right direction :D

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

CueTable Help

YIKES!!...

I still think there is NO REASON to push another ball down table - it gives your opponent too many options.

-td

I hear ya, but I'm shooting the 4 two rails all day. With just a little bit of cue ball control you put him in a very defensive position. If you make the fairly easy bank (as far as 2 railers go), you probably win the game.

That's why I love this game, there are lots of ways to get it done.

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on good you are at the 2-cushion bank as compared to the 13-B cut shot. Would also be nice to know how tough the pockets. Some would be quite good at one shot and not very good at at the other.

Reminds me of the time Nick Fochiano pushed his way through the crowd to begin pulling a very drunk Eddie Taylor away from one of the tougher 5x10s at the 711 room. Nicky was scolding Eddie for he had heard that Taylor was betting even-money with all the rail-birds on two-cushion banks while he was in such an inebriated condition. I can recall that it was even raining at the time. Taylor, while managing to resist, holding on with one hand gripped around a cushion, started pleading in a drunken whining cry, "aw Nicky, can't ya just let me stay 'til I miss one?

Yes, this is a true story and there's a little more to it; however ya got most of it here. Can't recall if it is in one of my published books or one yet to get done.

For a better game of one-pocket,

Eddie Robin

Good point about the pockets. A lot comes down to how you're feeling at the moment too.

Loved your books by the way.

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...Remember if you play one pocket a lot and you are comfortable on the table the four is extremely makable or hangable. I actually think the four is a dream shot in one pocket. Sometimes I think we out think ourselves. Shot with confidence and try to make the four. All you one holers should love this shot.

Agree 100%

Deadon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you 2-rail the 4, but don't hang it:

CueTable Help

How does your opponent "just start pocketing the uptable balls" from here?

CueTable Help

pj
chgo

Patrick;

Perhaps, just do a little rail first on the 1 or play the 3-2 combo. Its hard to see the exact angles on diagrams, but being careful not to leave a shot on the 3. Even hanging the 2 at or near the pocket is fine. Those balls are definitely going in before he gets any shot on the 4. Now all the balls are down by the pockets, unless he starts pushing them back up.

Mike

Last edited:

Robertduke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on good you are at the 2-cushion bank as compared to the 13-B cut shot. Would also be nice to know how tough the pockets. Some would be quite good at one shot and not very good at at the other.

Reminds me of the time Nick Fochiano pushed his way through the crowd to begin pulling a very drunk Eddie Taylor away from one of the tougher 5x10s at the 711 room. Nicky was scolding Eddie for he had heard that Taylor was betting even-money with all the rail-birds on two-cushion banks while he was in such an inebriated condition. I can recall that it was even raining at the time. Taylor, while managing to resist, holding on with one hand gripped around a cushion, started pleading in a drunken whining cry, "aw Nicky, can't ya just let me stay 'til I miss one?

Yes, this is a true story and there's a little more to it; however ya got most of it here. Can't recall if it is in one of my published books or one yet to get done.

For a better game of one-pocket,

Eddie Robin

Rep to you.. for a great story.. =)

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
I don't think

I would shoot anything because the corner pockets you chose for 1 pocket have to be below the foot spot. You made your diagram backwards.

1 Pocket Ghost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ghost, there's a third option on the table:

CueTable Help

The argument for this shot (which I'm not disputing; just asking about) is that when you need only two (and maybe when scratching is a danger if you try to cut the 13) it's better to take a ball out of play than to put another into play (2-railing the 4). Do you agree it's time to play this tight?

pj
chgo

Nope, I would not shoot a safety here - the offensive shots are too high percentage to pass up, and you have the other balls tied up out of play....I stick with the shot choices in my original post.

- Ghost

Eddie Robin

Eddie Robin
Silver Member
Kelly knew Taylor was definitely not of this planet

Just because the four is up table doesn't mean it is not in play. If your opponent can play postion on it after making the two balls down table. I am sure you would feel like the 4 is in play.

Puttin the four in front of your hole or maybe even making it while freezing whitey to the top rail is the correct shot IMO.

Remember if you play one pocket a lot and you are comfortable on the table the four is extremely makable or hangable. I actually think the four is a dream shot in one pocket. Sometimes I think we out think ourselves. Shot with confidence and try to make the four. All you one holers should love this shot.

As previously explained, this shot choice depends mostly on the players strengths and weakness. Only lower level players would have shot something different. A "NewYork Blackie" of the 60s would have almost certainly succeeded at pocketing or hanging up the 13-ball because he really did shoot that straight back then, and an Eddie Taylor would have almost certainly ... you gotta know the rest by now. As Eddie Kelly once explained after Taylor had accomplished the improbable for the umpteenth time, "you're just not of this planet." (There's a bit more to that story as well)

My books really do help,

Eddie Robin

Really love your quote re character more important than reputation![/COLOR]