One pocket WWYD - After Break

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is usually a NO NO but I am shooting the 2 in to the 8 and locking the cue ball to the 7/10....everything else so far has to much liability. Sometimes it's best to live for another day.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I like this idea as I’m always looking for a way to get at least one to my side after the break but I’m pretty sure the 4 would go right into that 13.

Half the pictures say it will, the other half it looks like it clears the 13 np.
Jeff if you look closely at the combo...the 4 is coming off/swiping the 3 ball causing a downward push on that obj. ball....

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is usually a NO NO but I am shooting the 2 in to the 8 and locking the cue ball to the 7/10....everything else so far has to much liability. Sometimes it's best to live for another day.
2 into the 3 might work better if it’s there's room

Last edited:

cue fix

Will "MONSOON" & SEARING!
Silver Member
I shoot the 8 so that it skims off the top of the 3, which sends the 3 up table, the 8 continues on to bank the 12 and the 8 goes up table as well. Maybe you hit it good and make the 12 or at least put it on your side. But I do not play for much and live dangerously and like to have a little fun while playing.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Like bank the 14 into the 12 and drag the cue ball to the end rail to maybe leave the 9-13 doubled up?\

That would be a good chance to get some on your side and give the opponent a cueing test.
This was the shot I jumped to, assuming there is a reasonable zone to land the cue ball and deny a shot.

If not I probably park the cue ball on top of the rack, even if it means I can't control the speed of the 14 as well as I'd like.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this is what I saw.
park the cue ball in the stack and see what your opponent will do.
then you may have a better defensive shot.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Hit 7 with a stun draw, banking the 4 too your side (3 ball combo) and park whitey Behind the 2 snug on the 7. Having a ball (4) close to your pocket can switch game around with proper speed.
I like sticking the CB there, and it looks like the 7 might stay to help block it - but it drives the 15 toward the 8 creating interfering traffic for the 4-ball's rebound, maybe even disturbing the cluster you're hiding behind.

pj
chgo

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Yes. Wait for better opportunity. Kicking 3 or 4 rails if you leave a ball is probably going to cost you 4~6 balls.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Gold Member
I shoot the 8 so that it skims off the top of the 3, which sends the 3 up table, the 8 continues on to bank the 12 and the 8 goes up table as well. Maybe you hit it good and make the 12 or at least put it on your side. But I do not play for much and live dangerously and like to have a little fun while playing.
I’m going with this too and actually posted my response before seeing yours. That 8 is wired. So unlike you I’m sinking it. This was my original now deleted post.

I’m pocketing the 8 for him off the 3 and the 12 with bottom right drag draw to clear out his balls and leaving him as close as can to the bottom rail so he can’t get that wired combo. It’s going to take care of 3 things in one shot.

Last edited:

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Gold Member
And I don’t know. I keep coming back to your post jazzy. This is fun. That break seems on the aggressive side. so I might try to slow him down for a little while……

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's what I do every blue moon I get to play a one holer. In that perfect break situation, I carom off that ball by the side pocket. Usually a bisect/draw shot at opponents hole or wedged on one of the balls there. Almost no one does this yet it repeatedly presents itself. Works well enough for the caliber I run into.

scarygary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I totally agree with the previously mentioned 14-ball bank. Risky, but you're in deep trouble. Looks like your opponent pulled of the perfect break. How did he manage that? Tilt the rack? There's also the ultra aggressive 14 into the 13 and drag the cb up table to the corner on your opponents side. If the 9 doesn't pass the 12 it's a viable kamikaze option.

lastdimetaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like fireing the 8 into the rail knocking the 5 out and 8 out , forcing cueball up to the rail. It takes a lot of guts and better put some thought on the 8 off the 5 don't go full into 5 got to keep it moving away from bottom of table. Cue ball has to get close to rail but shoot the shot with authority I would stun run no rolling Cue ball .
That's what I would do not saying it's the right thing to do or suggest it would even work if you do it. I know I could do it because I do some stupid things all the time and get away with it. I'm lucky ☺

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Scary G, there was only me in this game playing both sides. No shenanigans on the break unless by accident. The table doesn’t have a line coming down from the spot to make sure the back middle ball lines up (I wish ever table had this, it makes things so much easier) but I’m pretty careful to make sure everything’s straight as possible.

I thought that was my best break ever that didn’t make a ball. I’ve got a real good 1P break and table tennis serve - but my follow up play on both is not up to par 😂

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ronnie Allen was the past master of kicking his way out of breaks like this. I saw him do it a hundred times. It's actually a very big target to aim at between the 12 and 13 ball. Then there is the speed control required to leave the cue ball somewhere between the first diamond on the long rail and the first diamond on the short rail. You have a lot of room here to make a successful counter shot to this break.

This shot is merely a matter of spending a little time practicing your three rail kick shots. Every good One Pocket player has this shot in their arsenal! If you can't do it succcessfully 80-90% of the time then you need to practice kicking three rails from all along the side rail until you can see the proper angle point to aim at. It's really not that hard a shot once you have confidence in your ability to do it. It just looks hard and maybe a little scary to shoot a shot like this. It's a very cool shot when you can do it successfully, and can win the game for you from a bad starting position.

I'd like to bet I can get up there cold and hit it good on the first or second try, with no practice whatsoever.

P.S. I just set this up and made a good return shot two out of three times, and I haven't hit a ball in weeks. I hit the 13 ball the first time and then hit it good twice. Once I see the angle I think I can hit the sweet spot nine out of ten times. You have to go deep into the far corner to execute this shot. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would call this about four or five in difficulty.

Last edited:

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ronnie Allen was the past master of kicking his way out of breaks like this. I saw him do it a hundred times. It's actually a very big target to aim at between the 12 and 13 ball. Then there is the speed control required to leave the cue ball somewhere between the first diamond on the long rail and the first diamond on the short rail. You have a lot of room here to make a successful counter shot to this break.

This shot is merely a matter of spending a little time practicing your three rail kick shots. Every good One Pocket player has this shot in their arsenal! If you can't do it succcessfully 80-90% of the time then you need to practice kicking three rails from all along the side rail until you can see the proper angle point to aim at. It's really not that hard a shot once you have confidence in your ability to do it. It just looks hard and maybe a little scary to shoot a shot like this. It's a very cool shot when you can do it successfully, and can win the game for you from a bad starting position.

I'd like to bet I can get up there cold and hit it good on the first or second try, with no practice whatsoever.

P.S. I just set this up and made a good return shot two out of three times, and I haven't hit a ball in weeks.
That’s the shot 💯