Pawn Shop Cues

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
crawfish said:
Everyone ask Poke and Hope about his George 1/2 hard case he bought for $25 at a yard sale. He said it felt "heavy." It had a cue inside. He asked if the price included the cue and the lady said "yes." Oh, I won't hold back.

Six point, Black Boar, two shafts, ivory ferrules, silver, mother of pearl, etc., etc.

Sick. Just sick.
i was at shooters in greensboro and met poke and hope as well as keith(crawfish) and was told this story. my mom is an antique collector and has many storys on carnival glass and other collectables but not quite as good a story as a bb and george case for 25 lol.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bchilton said:
Each and every one of these belonged to someone who is sitting at home feeling violated because some crackhead stole their cue and pawned it somewhere.

When you obtain something without working for it, it is usually at someone else's expense.

Maybe you guys should research the message boards and see if you can locate the proper owners of these cues and give them the opportunity to recover them for the low prices that they are selling for in the pawn shops.

Apparently, you've never been busted and had to sell a cue wherever or to whoever you could. Just because the cues came from a pawn shop does not mean they were stolen. That's pretty damn insulting!

tasaddicts

not a 314 fan!
Silver Member
i really enjoying reading this thread!

more awesome buy at pawn shops!!!! lets hear them.....

RFisher

FISHER CUES
Silver Member
I bought a brunswick case/fast eddie style from the hustler, and two custom cases thomas/angore style, haven't id'ed the other two yet, bought them all for less than $80.

traded a $40 case for a 1X2 original it's george with python skin.

Marilyn Monroe Mcdermott w/matching case $120. Meucce Rose w/2 shafts 1 ivory ferrule $150.

I just traded a $40-50 cue for What I believe to be one of Jeff Olneys first pointed cues, I need to have it id'd. But I'm 95% sure it's an old Olney for sure. Slight warp in the butt, but hits sweet.

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rossaroni said:
I can't believe that lady would rob him like that.
Damn sure did. Took advantage of my friend. Gotta watch out for people who are not totally honest. Damn outside the pool world people.

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I bought a new Satin Southwest at a pawn shop for 70, I talked them down from 100

bchilton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pushout said:
Apparently, you've never been busted and had to sell a cue wherever or to whoever you could. Just because the cues came from a pawn shop does not mean they were stolen. That's pretty damn insulting!

I've been busted several times hundreds of miles from home and had to sell my cue. I always managed to sell it to someone in the pool world who at least knew what it was and wouldn't go and sell it for nothing in a pawn shop.

You can bet that if you find a Richard Black or a other high end cue for a hundred bucks that it was probably stolen and pawned to a shop that didn't know what he was getting.

You have obviously never had someone steal a cue from you that you spent your own hard earned thousand bucks or so on or you would think that it is a little cheesy for someone to lurk around pawn shops trying to take advantage of a fellow pool player's misfortune, that is if you are a pool player.

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pred willie hoppe le-good evening

I used to look at the pawn shops for Ivory balls -billiards or Q-balls. I just , a month ago found a New Pred. Willie Hoppe with case. It was in Pawn for 9wks, I saw it first paid 300.$ I was offered 500 immediately. It was stolen, I found out where and was told,the guy was in Jail already for other charges, Mine! I have bought many tools mostly New at Pawn Shops. fishing Lures as well. Troy (koinnkid) success is valid. mark

bchilton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, whenever you guys run across my Annie-O Cues somewhere, ask for a great deal ona n HP Laptop with a leather briefcase, because it's probably in the same place and you can probably get a good deal on it.

Use them in good health.

Hopefully, If you run across my cues, you can give me the opportunity to buy them at a reasonable proffit. You won't be able to mistake them since they have my name made into them and have cerial numbers that can be cross-refferenced.

You can have the laptop and my palm pilot. They can be replaced, however I feel like someone raped me over the cues since I cannot get them replaced.

Sorry for the ranting and raving over this particular subject, but this is New years Eve, I'm about halfway through a fifth of "gentleman Jack" and some of these posts kind of struck me as a bunch of Mob Thugs who hold up local businesses for protection money and then laugh about it at their local watering hole over a couple of bottles of red wine.

I know that there are others on here who have had cues stolen from them and they can attest to the fact that the only thing that you can compare it to is rape. It is an uncontrolable feeling of being violated and there is nothing that you can do about it. It is hard to accept the fact that someone who you don't even know would do something to you that you wouldn't even do to your very worst enemy.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bchilton said:
You can bet that if you find a Richard Black or a other high end cue for a hundred bucks that it was probably stolen and pawned to a shop that didn't know what he was getting.

You have obviously never had someone steal a cue from you that you spent your own hard earned thousand bucks or so on or you would think that it is a little cheesy for someone to lurk around pawn shops trying to take advantage of a fellow pool player's misfortune, that is if you are a pool player.

I'm sorry you had your cues stolen but it's a bit overboard to accuse people here of this kind of thing. You didn't mention high end cues in your accusation. Suppose you buy a cue like this for, say, $500 or so. That's quite a bit of money for some people today. Now you find out the cue is stolen. You turn it in, you're out the $500. Do you try to get if from the pawn shop guy? Fat chance, I'm thinking. Turning it in is the right thing to do but you're still out the money, not matter how much you paid. A lot of people will say if it's in a pawn shop, it's fair game for the first one to pay the money. I'm not saying that's right but there are many who will. I hope you get your cues back, somehow.

bchilton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pushout said:
I'm sorry you had your cues stolen but it's a bit overboard to accuse people here of this kind of thing. You didn't mention high end cues in your accusation. Suppose you buy a cue like this for, say, $500 or so. That's quite a bit of money for some people today. Now you find out the cue is stolen. You turn it in, you're out the $500. Do you try to get if from the pawn shop guy? Fat chance, I'm thinking. Turning it in is the right thing to do but you're still out the money, not matter how much you paid. A lot of people will say if it's in a pawn shop, it's fair game for the first one to pay the money. I'm not saying that's right but there are many who will. I hope you get your cues back, somehow.

My point is that if someone is legitamately trying to sell a high end cue to a pawn shop, you can bet that they are going to make sure that the pawn shop owner knows what it is worth; therefore, he is not going to be unloading a "Richard Black", or other high end cue for a couple of hundred dollars.

The only reason that the pawn shop owner would have a thousand dollar cue and not know is would be if some thief brought it in to him.

Pawn shop owners are required by law to keep identification records on the people who pawn or sell items. Once you or someone else has bought that item from them for little or nothing and put it back in circulation, the chain is broken and they are much harder to trace back to the original thief.

My point is that if you are in posession of an item that is stolen, you could be held responsible for it regardless of whether you are the one who stole it or not. If there is a police report on it and you have it, then it can be taken from you in order to return it to the rightfull owner; therefore, it seems a little balsy to be on here bragging about buying cues that are "probably" or "could be" stolen in order to sell them for proffit.

Let's face it, the cheaper that you are able to buy it for and the more that you are able to sell it for, the better chance that it was stolen from someone. Simple Economics

bchilton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You didn't mention high end cues in your accusation. Suppose you buy a cue like this for, say, $500 or so.

Most of the posts on here are people bragging about buying thousand plus dollar cues for 75 and 100 dollars, and reselling them for their propper worth. Thus, my earlier quote, "If you get something that is worth something for nothing it is usually at someone else's expense".

Rick S.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you buy a stick from a pawnshop, and it turns out to be stolen and the Police take it from you, the Pawnshop is liable for replacing the cue. Since they sold you 'stolen goods'.

Like you said...the Police have records of who sold it to the Pawnshop. Don't think if someone buys a stolen cue from a pawnshop, and they want to find it, they can't. They will be knocking on you're door after checking w/pawnshop to see who the purchaser was.

If you have a receipt for it, there is NO way you will ever be held responsible for it. No receiving and concealing charges...w/receipt.

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a Old Schon R-6 with dash rings, 2 shafts, 1- 32" , and something else, can't remember 2ed cue, in a nice leather case, like Justis, but no top on case, for $200. I sold the Schon to a guy, for 600, don't remember what happened to the other cue, or case, 8 yrs later got the Schon back, in a trade with a old rifle I had given to me, Then the Schon and 3 of my customs got stolen out of car and Insurance paid $2900. bucks. Still have the extra dash ring shaft. Loved that Schon tho. ...Jim

bchilton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rick S. said:
If you buy a stick from a pawnshop, and it turns out to be stolen and the Police take it from you, the Pawnshop is liable for replacing the cue. Since they sold you 'stolen goods'.

Like you said...the Police have records of who sold it to the Pawnshop. Don't think if someone buys a stolen cue from a pawnshop, and they want to find it, they can't. They will be knocking on you're door after checking w/pawnshop to see who the purchaser was.

If you have a receipt for it, there is NO way you will ever be held responsible for it. No receiving and concealing charges...w/receipt.

I wouldn't be so much worried about being held responsible for it legally as I would having to pay back the 2 grand that someone got on E-Bay for a cue that they bought for peanuts in a pawn shop. That's why I can't understand why people would be openly bragging about it.

I am constantly looking through here for someone trying to sell one of mine.

Rick S.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bchilton said:
I wouldn't be so much worried about being held responsible for it legally as I would having to pay back the 2 grand that someone got on E-Bay for a cue that they bought for peanuts in a pawn shop. That's why I can't understand why people would be openly bragging about it.

I am constantly looking through here for someone trying to sell one of mine.

I'd much rather pay the 2 K, than be arrested.

An arrest with bond, atty fees, and court appearances will make that 2K look real good.

The chances of finding your stick here at AZB are awfully slim. Odds are whoever stole your stick, sold it, and smoked it up.

I imagine it would go thru several hands before ever showing up anywhere. And if it did, I don't think the police would be willing to spend the effort, or manpower to trace a cuestick down. Even with your help....

Wish you the best of luck....

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
bchilton said:
Well, whenever you guys run across my Annie-O Cues somewhere, ask for a great deal ona n HP Laptop with a leather briefcase, because it's probably in the same place and you can probably get a good deal on it.

Use them in good health.

Hopefully, If you run across my cues, you can give me the opportunity to buy them at a reasonable proffit. You won't be able to mistake them since they have my name made into them and have cerial numbers that can be cross-refferenced.

You can have the laptop and my palm pilot. They can be replaced, however I feel like someone raped me over the cues since I cannot get them replaced.

Sorry for the ranting and raving over this particular subject, but this is New years Eve, I'm about halfway through a fifth of "gentleman Jack" and some of these posts kind of struck me as a bunch of Mob Thugs who hold up local businesses for protection money and then laugh about it at their local watering hole over a couple of bottles of red wine.

I know that there are others on here who have had cues stolen from them and they can attest to the fact that the only thing that you can compare it to is rape. It is an uncontrolable feeling of being violated and there is nothing that you can do about it. It is hard to accept the fact that someone who you don't even know would do something to you that you wouldn't even do to your very worst enemy.

I am sorry for you having your cues stolen, However, I do not think it is appropriate to compare losing a material item to rape. Unless you have been raped, it is probably not a good idea to use the term for an analogy. If I stumble across your cues, I will gladly sell them to you at zero profit.

-don

folkar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
KOINNKID said:
Wow! This is how I got started 7 years ago. I walked into a Pawn shop near home and found a Schon for $150.00. At the same time I had just strated selling junk around the house that I did not need on Ebay. So I decided to put the Schon up on auction. I was amazed at that it brought in $500.00 in the shape it was in. A week later I stopped back at the same Pawn shop and picked up a Mcdermott and a Viking for a total of $65.00 and sold them both on Ebay 7 days later. Mcdermott went for $62 and the Viking went for $68.00. Ever since then I have been stopping at Pawn shops around my local area picking up cues. A year or so later I picked up a Bob Frey cue and an It's George case for $150.00. Sold the case for $148.00 and the cue went for $1100.00. I have more but those were the good ones.

No wonder I don't find many good deals in pawn shops around here. Troy (Koinnkid) must be finding all of my great buys!

So far i've found a McDermott NavigatorII for $125 and a Predator 99-2 for $65. So far i'm not reselling anything, but I may try using them on trades one day. Havent found any customs though.