Pete Tonkin Screwed Me

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not one that complains but i cant let this go. Pete Tonkin absolutely screwed me.

Pete was needing money to pay for some treatment for his wofe and offered a cue to me that was near completion. Even hadbthe inlays cut. I paid him for the cue as well as adding on his silver lattice in the handle. I was told it was near completion. July it wasmt ready. “It will be ready in a few weeks.” 6 weeks later still not done. October, still not done. Was told i would get it at the first of the year. That didnt happen. After a couple more stints of waiting, i tell him to return my money if he cant get it to me soon.He tells me he will give the money back. On June 14 i ask about the cue again. Finally on July 6 he refunds me money. I wasnt happy but i needed the cash. Then low and behold, as i am still waitingnon the refund to clear, which as of now it atill hasnt, i see he sold, shipped, and the cue was received by another person. In other words, the cue I paid for 21 months ago was READY and COMPLETED when he refunded me the money, but he finished the cue so he could make another $2500 off of it. Look at the last message. The cue he is gonna sell to refund my my moneynis the cue i had paid for. To think I actually shared intimate info with the man about my stepmother dying from pancreatic cancer and my wife passing away. Even messaged him just to ask how his wife was doing before i ever bought the cue. I thought he was a friend. Boy was i wrong.

Had a similar thing happen when I ordered and, yes payed in full, for a Mike Lambros cue.
Was supposed to be in my hands six months later, after he jerked me around for nearly two years - one excuse after another - I finally got my money back.
So at least there's that lol.... but what a jerk...

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
in general when you pay money in advance for service not yet done, usually it isnt done very well. yet expected to get paid in full.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
this happened over almost a two year period. so no excuse for it. lies about when it would be done and then selling the cue right out from under him.

your take on him from ten years back is not applicable here.

a person is judged by their actions. he did return the money not like some other cue makers. but no mention of thanks or interest on his money

pookster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a similar thing happen when I ordered and, yes payed in full, for a Mike Lambros cue.
Was supposed to be in my hands six months later, after he jerked me around for nearly two years - one excuse after another - I finally got my money back.
So at least there's that lol.... but what a jerk...
he definitely is and he put fake ivory in my cue years ago ago after I paid in full

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You were all about making a quick and big buck. But life is larger than that, get over it. You come here asking for confirmation that the other one did you wrong, yah, so what, it's not like you don't have faults, too. Happens when you're too focused on making a deal that would serve you better than him. Maybe you learned something from it. Don't be greedy, let others live, work with a trustee/escrow next time (doesn't paypal offer that?)
There's a British TV show called Hustle with a very good cast (Adrian Lester, Robert Vaughn, Marc Warren) about a team of con artists. One of their principles is that you can't con an honest man. We look for people who want something for nothing and we give them nothing for something.

I leave it as an exercise for the reader to determine if it applies here.

pookster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I normally don’t post but have to this time

I believe everything subdued say cause Similar bad experiences happen to me with tonkin also after I paid in full…. excuse after excuse till I finally got my cue after I sent pete buddy a message that I would blast him cause pete ignore my message

I also paid $500 extra for inlays work but only got upgraded ring work which I didn’t even order or want but I just wanted my cue so I say F it

He never reach out to me once when dateline is up I’m the one who have to keep asking him and he keep giving excuse after one another and even ignore my message sometime also

I offer to take other cue that’s ready and pay more but he say no and kept selling cues on facebook and ignore my request

Pete is bad business period and He used to be one of my favorite cue maker but I loss all respect for him and don’t want anything to do with tonkins cues ever again no matter what

Btw it doesn’t matter how much subdued buy the cue for cause when deal is done then it’s done period

Of course I have proof and all messages between me and him and my buddy also got screwed by him with joint protector

Paid $650 for fancy JP and told 1 month wait but end up being over a year and got normal JP instead…This guy is horrible

PAID PETE IN FULL AMOUNT AND SEE WHAT HAPPEN 🤦🏻‍♂️

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
We all deal with a crisis in different ways. No one can compare their crisis with someone else's crisis. I met Pete some 10 years ago and found him to be a great guy and a stand up person. Obviously his crisis threw him off the rails, and although his intent may have been 100% honorable, the extreme stress of his situation probably had a huge effect on his frame of mind. I would forgive him if I were the OP. Watching your spouse die is not a normal
When people go sour financially don’t pass that on. Sorry about his circumstances but money is money. Business is business. Beg borrow start a GoFundMe.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
We all deal with a crisis in different ways. No one can compare their crisis with someone else's crisis. I met Pete some 10 years ago and found him to be a great guy and a stand up person. Obviously his crisis threw him off the rails, and although his intent may have been 100% honorable, the extreme stress of his situation probably had a huge effect on his frame of mind. I would forgive him if I were the OP. Watching your spouse die is not a normal situation.
Heaven help those who are self-employed and have to deal with cancer. LONG TERM. Which was the case on this one.
Pete lives in the boonies in tax-heavy commiefornia. Getting treatment is a long drive .
One chemo session costs some $5k and up.
Surgery? Tens of thousands.
My mother died from cancer.Three of my co-workers. Lucky all had insurance but it still cost thousands .
My late mentor had went in a coma and had to be in the hospital for 6 months. His total bill was nearly half a million dollars.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
When people go sour financially don’t pass that on. Sorry about his circumstances but money is money. Business is business. Beg borrow start a GoFundMe.
Or declare bankruptcy protection like a lot of people do.
Oh, wait...

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
He made a public post of facebook which i responded to. I did get ot to make money. I would be stupid to pass up that kind of deal. I stated i thought we were friends as we had spoken many times between him doing work on a cue for me before and this. We shared stories about our wives as well as other things. I didn't foresee this going the way it did. Like I said, i felt as though we had become friends. And the way you described it is exactly the way it went down. He wouldnt work on my cue and as soon as i asked for a refund, low and behold, he finished the cue quick and sold it. June 14 was the last time i asked him about the cue and he the cue was finished and shipped forst week of July. And yes, i am done with him. Money just cleared today but i wasnt letting it slide without saying something.
I don't fault you for jumping on an offer that PT apparently made on FB that on the face of it looked like it could be a win-win for both of you guys.

Glad you at least got your initial investment back. I never heard anything bad about this particular cuemaker, in fact, I have heard a lot of good things about him and how he conducts his business. The fact that he reportedly did lose his wife underscores the seriousness and perhaps the desperation of the situation he was in. Doesn't excuse not coming through on this deal btw but since you say you've also been in that lousy situation yourself, maybe you can relate to a degree - and maybe it truly is an anomoly for Pete.

Losing one's spouse has to be one of life's worst experiences.

Here's hoping for better times and dealings for all.

Last edited:

klikr

Heaven help those who are self-employed and have to deal with cancer. LONG TERM. Which was the case on this one.
Pete lives in the boonies in tax-heavy commiefornia. Getting treatment is a long drive .
One chemo session costs some $5k and up.
Surgery? Tens of thousands.
My mother died from cancer.Three of my co-workers. Lucky all had insurance but it still cost thousands .
My late mentor had went in a coma and had to be in the hospital for 6 months. His total bill was nearly half a million dollars.
American health system is such a piece of shit, man...

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Times have changed. In the early 80s a regular in the pool hall asked which cue to buy as an investment. I told him Szamboti. He called Gus and ordered a cue. Gus told him he would call when the cue was ready. Eight months later Gus called him to say the was done. He told Hugh he would ship him the cue, and when he received it please send a check for $275.00. This was for a 4 point ebony cue with veneers and 2 shafts. Will never forget this. Roger Pettit

This is pretty much exactly how my custom order from Bob Runde went. Might have been 9 months, but otherwise exactly the same. I had the cue in my hands before any money changed hands and he delivered exactly what I wanted, couldn't have been a better experience and still love that cue.

This situation definitely sucks OP, sorry to hear. Especially because it sure looks like a beautiful cue.

TrxR

American health system is such a piece of shit, man...
Canadian Healthcare isn't any better. It might cost less but you also can wait 6 months to a year or more for any sort of procedure. Nothing unusual for 3 -6 month wait or more for cat scan or MRI . I know people who have waited over 2 years for joint replacement. I've heard of people waiting 6 months to see a cancer doctor.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Canadian Healthcare isn't any better. It might cost less but you also can wait 6 months to a year or more for any sort of procedure. Nothing unusual for 3 -6 month wait or more for cat scan or MRI . I know people who have waited over 2 years for joint replacement. I've heard of people waiting 6 months to see a cancer doctor.

People dying of appendicitis in Canada or coming to the US to pay cash for having theirs yanked, all kinds of horror stories from Canada's wonderful health care! I'll take the US care. If all else fails and you can't pay charity hospitals are an option. Also, any hospital that accepts funding from the government which includes almost any hospital, has to do a certain amount of free services. Ask for the form and you are good to go. Most hospitals have the signs posted as required but they are inconspicuous and posted in out of the way places like hallways people are passing through. Nicely framed in subdued colors too!

England's public health service may be even worse than Canada's. Doctors aren't crazy to work for a government dictated salary.

Our medical system sucks but I can show up at the door of any hospital I have ever seen in the US and get treated, generally with top notch care. A longer wait for nonemergency diagnostic care these days at my favorite provider but three days or less was the norm before covid backed everything up. I could often get the diagnostic work, MRI's and CT's, same day. Pressing surgery is still done very rapidly. My doctor was sending me straight to surgery one day. I had to tell him to hold on a few days. I owned several businesses that I had to organize for my absence. I had survived months before seeing the doctor, I figured a few more days wouldn't hurt.

People come from other countries and are astonished at the people that think they are poor in the US. They eat what and when they want, they wear what they want, and most have hundreds of dollars worth of cell phone in their pocket by the time they are eight or ten. All get a decent education if they want it.

We do have true poverty in the US, mostly in rural areas. Reminds me of a friend who was born to a family that lived on a big lake in South Louisiana. By most standards he was poor growing up. He talked about how wonderful it was to live on the lake full of fish and all kinds of food, woods to hunt in steps away, a kitchen garden to grow and can food year around, he never knew a hungry day in his life. He talks about how wonderful it was to grow up where he had everything, and I don't know that he isn't right!

Hu

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
it doesn't or shouldn't make you want to move. it should make you realize that you dont need to smoke, drink heavily, eat fast food, and live in an unhealthy environment. thats why people are dying of cancer and other things that they shouldn't.

the health care system isn't set up for those that punish their bodies and want others to pay to keep them alive.