Philippine Adventure a.k.a Pool Heaven!

beav99_4life

BPT Champion
Silver Member
Sarah is going to be in HEAVEN!!!! She'll finally be right around the average height of everyone around her, lol. Just kidding girl, you know I love ya. Good luck in your ventures and thanks, because I can't think of anyone else I'd rather have represent us overseas.

tigerseye

Kenny Wilson
Silver Member
First, thank you everyone who is helping me get to Taiwan! When the TV matches from the San Diego Classic air there will be about a three minute segment thanking everyone...and I must say, those were some of the most awesome TV matches ever!! Be sure to tune in.

Second, in addition to the Amway Cup I was also just invited to the Philippine Open and the Womens World 10-ball. If you are interested in helping or have words of advice for traveling to the Philippines I would love to hear from you! I'm really excited for the whole experience! I believe the other player from the US that will be going to the Amway Cup and The Womens 10-ball is Monica Webb.

I will be sure to give updates on the Amway ie. internet and bracket info. Hopefully there will be some live streaming!

Thanks again for everything,
Sarah

Don't forget to get some immunization shots...

jaycast16

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i would say bring some money over there and gamble with third tiers since most of the pros plays even with them.doesn't matter if you win or you loose but everytime you play worth a lesson.Goodluck to your trip!

Hope to see you today at Shooters for the 404 stop

-jp

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Don't forget to get some immunization shots...

Best advice is drink ONLY bottled water or bottled soft drinks. Do not drink tap water in restaurants, hotels, bars etc. NOT!

The water is what gets 'em every time. And be careful about eating in roadside stands. Take a good look at what you are eating and how it is prepared. Give it the sniff and taste test first before consuming it. From what I gather, horse meat is popular fare and cheap. I like everything well cooked! Nothing raw!

Last edited:

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
Remember Sarah, wear your red shoes for power! LOL And isn't it about time to crack one of these eggs???

IamMark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best advice is drink ONLY bottled water or bottled soft drinks. Do not drink tap water in restaurants, hotels, bars etc. NOT!

The water is what gets 'em every time. And be careful about eating in roadside stands. Take a good look at what you are eating and how it is prepared. Give it the sniff and taste test first before consuming it. From what I gather, horse meat is popular fare and cheap. I like everything well cooked! Nothing raw!

Yes, this is the best advice you can get. I was just there and got a stomach virus from drinking/eating dirty. Watch out for anything that contains tap water. This usually includes iced tea. Bottomless iced tea is tempting, but if it sends you to the toilet during a match, you'll regret it.

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member

Uhhhh.. I don't know about horse meat being popular Jay. I wouldn't even know where to find it if I tried. But that's pretty good advice on the bottled water though. Most decent restaurants and bars serve filtered water, but do stick to the bottled stuff. :smile:

Formula7

The Guerilla
Silver Member
Amen!

It's been said here many many times before that Philippines is a great place to improve your game. And the competition is tough. Play with the local ladies or even the 3rd tier guys for a small amount.
Philippines is the Harvard University of Pool. Pay your dues, learn the game and you will go home a better player.
Goodluck on your adventure.

My dad grew up in the Philippines. He played in Manila where, he grew up most of his life. He doesn't play much anymore, but when he does he still gives better players a run for the money. He tells me all the time if I wanna be good to go there and live with my uncle. My uncle doesn't shoot, but it's just housing for dirt cheap and I could shoot all day.

Tempting...

PistolPat

Flip Strokin' since 91
Silver Member
First, thank you everyone who is helping me get to Taiwan! When the TV matches from the San Diego Classic air there will be about a three minute segment thanking everyone...and I must say, those were some of the most awesome TV matches ever!! Be sure to tune in.

Second, in addition to the Amway Cup I was also just invited to the Philippine Open and the Womens World 10-ball. If you are interested in helping or have words of advice for traveling to the Philippines I would love to hear from you! I'm really excited for the whole experience! I believe the other player from the US that will be going to the Amway Cup and The Womens 10-ball is Monica Webb.

I will be sure to give updates on the Amway ie. internet and bracket info. Hopefully there will be some live streaming!

Thanks again for everything,
Sarah

If you and the ladies want to go party I recommend club Embassy at a plaza called The Fort. Just like the states. Damn I miss the PI

PistolPat

Flip Strokin' since 91
Silver Member
Lol..................

Jay not even the locals Drink the tap water! As far as the horse meat goes, I'ma pass and head straight to Jollibees : )

BlaineBarcus

Silver Member
I've come to the conclusion that I'm just gonna move to the PI for 1-2 years and come back to the states and go on the road as a world beater lol....If any of you fillipino posters would like to help a fellow AZer out when I get there let me know lol...I'm not kidding

sarahrousey

pro player
Silver Member
Thanks so much for the advice. I will remember the no tap water rule. I'm not too big on funky food so I might be safe. I have been practicing though for the strange food. My pal Caroline has taken me to so many different places to try Asian cuisine...I think I am almost prepared! I'm lucky, I will get to spend almost three weeks there. I'm planning on visiting the pool rooms and if not playing, definitely watching the action!

As for Jollibee's, I saw one in San Diego but didn't try it out...I will definitely hit one in Manila.

Jun, it was nice to meet you too here in Toronto. Sorry I didn't make it to the 404 tournament. Jason and I went to Ottawa instead. I hope to run into you again soon.

Thanks again everyone!
Sarah

baji314

14.1 trainee
Silver Member
Have fun there..there are a lot of pool players that can give you a good practice.. the water advice is right on, try to bring mosquito repellants too.

Im sure alot of the AZ members here are from the PI and they are more than welcome to show you around

JAY - you have been to the PI and enjoyed Jollibee? WOW!!! :)

sigh! I miss the PI

gwjackal

Paradigm Cue Sports
Silver Member
I don't know how it works if you are invited there but if you plan on being there for longer than 21 days you may want to apply for a tourist visa. You can vist here for all the particular info. http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_999.html If you have any questions find me out at Vegas and I might just spill the beans, even though my trips usally take me to Angeles City :D. You might want to make sure you take your wallet thou since I have yet to meet anyone there who will not bet on everything you can think of. I know Alex will bet you anything you want on anything you want. Try counting how many banana's are hanging in a bundle from a tree then cling that tree to find out just make sure you can eat fast so you make sure you win. While you there you should see about taking a trip to Subic Bay and do some scuba diving. Oh the memories I ahve from there. I can't wait to go back....

teedotaj

teedot oohhhhhh
Silver Member
I don't think American citizens require any form of visa to go there. but I might be wrong.

gwjackal

Paradigm Cue Sports
Silver Member
I don't think American citizens require any form of visa to go there. but I might be wrong.

Or I just read this wrong.

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS: U.S. citizens may enter the Philippines without a visa upon presentation of their U.S. passport, valid for at least six months after the date of entry into the Philippines, and a return ticket to the United States or an onward ticket to another country. Upon arrival, immigration authorities will annotate the traveler’s passport with an entry visa valid for 21 days. If the traveler plans to stay longer than 21 days, he/she must apply for an extension at the Philippine Bureau of Immigration and Deportation's main office at Magallanes Drive; Intramuros, Manila, Philippines or at any of its provincial offices.

I am considered a resident due to my asawa being there still.....!!!! So I got one of them cool new cards they got there.

gsm1sw

Banger by birth
Gold Member
Silver Member
While you there you should see about taking a trip to Subic Bay and do some scuba diving. Oh the memories I ahve from there. I can't wait to go back....

For scuba diving I prefer Sabang or Puerto Galera. Much nicer diving.

PoolGrapevine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the event going to happen now that the event is not sanctioned and the promoter is no longer chariman of the filipino association?
Also heard no top filipino players playing again (efren,busta,pagulayan,alcano etc) and so no sponsors?