"Pivot to Center Ball"

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's say I'm using a particular pivot aiming system that gives me a pre-pivot cue alignment (red line) based on the CB, OB, and pocket locations. The last step in the system is to "pivot to center ball".

So what will be the final aim line of the cue? A, B, C, D, E, F, G, none of the above? (Note: All of the black lines go through the exact center of the CB.)

2eghag1.png

Last edited:

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I haven't seen any pre pivot line up like the one you illustrated.

Those that I have seen would be where the tip of the red arrow would be aimed at the intersection of DE and the pivot or red line would then end up replacing G line

Get Stan's DVD

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Undetermined based on your diagram. You have to know the pivot point first. Not to confuse the issue, but you really don't need to figure the pivot point; rather, be able to identify the correct shot circle and pivot along that arc (and let the pivot point work itself out) or have such a small tip offset where it mitigates any pivot errors based on that arc (such as a 1/2 tip).

P.S. Perspective also affect this. Where your eyes are help determine where center is as well.

Last edited:

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
If I am understanding the diagram correctly your cue is not aligned with the center of the CB. My interpretation is I can hit the CB with the stick at any point, but I can also hit that same point with a directional force carried by by Qstick.

Questions
What type of stroke do you plan on using when striking the CB?

Are you going to stroke through the CB? Or are you going to stroke with a directional force?

This topic is getting heavy on the language.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't seen any pre pivot line up like the one you illustrated.
Sure the angle is a bit exaggerated, but does it matter?

Alright, what about the following picture?
1pc5dj.png

Last edited:

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree with some others that's it tough to say without more details, but I think I know what you are getting at.

Assuming I was lined up with my visual center along that red arrow, more than likely I'd be stepping into the shot along that line with my stance aligned as well, my back foot would probably be on or close to the direction of the red line as well. Given that, I would think a pivot would produce something close to line G, possibly somewhere toward F, certainly not to the other lines as to pivot that much would require completely resetting your stance while pivoting, something I have never done so far at least.

I hope I don't misspeak since I am the newbie with this stuff, but again just trying to offer help where possible...
Scott

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Hmmm...only Spidey seems to be aware of this?

That's only 1/2 of it. Perspective of the "correct" 180 degrees of the CB matter as well--- so, it's your eye position along with the pivot point.

Undetermined.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
Let's say I'm using a particular pivot aiming system that gives me a pre-pivot cue alignment (red line) based on the CB, OB, and pocket locations. The last step in the system is to "pivot to center ball".

So what will be the final aim line of the cue? A, B, C, D, E, F, G, none of the above? (Note: All of the black lines go through the exact center of the CB.)

2eghag1.png

The longer the pivot point...the more toward "G" ....The shorter the pivot point...The more toward "A"

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
be able to identify the correct shot circle and pivot along that arc (and let the pivot point work itself out)

I have seen you throw this terminoligy out there a few times....You seem to be the only one that uses it.

Could you please explain the meaning of "shot circle" and "arc"? and how does that let the pivot point work itself out?

Thanx

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's only 1/2 of it. Perspective of the "correct" 180 degrees of the CB matter as well--- so, it's your eye position along with the pivot point.
No, you just need the pivot point. You only need two points to determine a unique line. The center of the CB and the pivot point. Without determining the pivot point, then you have an infinite number of lines that go through center CB.

Is this now 100% clear to everyone? Is it now obvious that pivot systems are completely ambiguous unless it tells you EXACTLY WHERE TO PIVOT THE CUE?

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's unrealistic. Think about the lines compaired to the size of the cueball. I think it's obvious you wouldn't pivot on your tip or farrel.
The point is that you get different post-pivot aim lines depending on where you pivot the cue. Do you not agree that given the same pre-pivot cue line, you'll have a different post-pivot aim line if you pivot at 8" compared to pivoting at 10" or 12"?