Players not being paid at US Open

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wasn't there some discussion earlier about how the money had to be handled at the U.S. Open for it to be a WPA sanctioned event?

This from June 10, 2014 ---> More Good News from Barry Behrman

I’m very pleased to report that, again, this year’s event will be sanctioned by the World Pool Association and will be a Tier II rankings points event with $72,000 added making the total prize fund $200,000. All added money and players’ entry fees will be secured with Suntrust Bank months in advance.

bondsman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't like Barry. I always feel insulted by his staff when I am there. BUT, has this been verified. I haven't heard a word from anyone who played in this event.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I would bet if Barry gave away the US Open name to CSI, Diamond, Mike Zuglan or Allen Hopkins (The four promoters left in the US) none of them would do anything remotely close to what the past Opens have been.

Why? Because they don't hate money and they have no emotional attachment to the Open. You might see a $25K added 128 man field tops and that would be a long shot.

As screwed up as the Open has become you cant take it away from Barry that no one else in the game could do what he has done with the event. Mainly because no one else would do what Barry has had to in order to keep it going. But as much as it saddens me to see the crown jewel event in the US decline I respect the fact that long after anyone else would of called it a wrap Barry keeps fighting.

I think it will be better for pool when Barry either stops his antics with pay or the Open changes hands but I have a sneaking suspicion that we will not see anymore of the 200+ fields with big money added anymore.

It's almost as if this is the yearly drama we all look forward to loving to hate. We just gear up for what's going to be the issues this time.

we respect the accomplishment to win it and perhaps we should respect it even more due to the extra mental stress the players are subjected to.

bondsman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's almost as if this is the yearly drama we all look forward to loving to hate. We just gear up for what's going to be the issues this time.

we respect the accomplishment to win it and perhaps we should respect it even more due to the extra mental stress the players are subjected to.

Barry is 70. He stated that his dream was to leave this to his son. Didn't his son do a jam up job one year at the Masters? So that is some good news down the road.

Last edited:

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and sometimes we wonder about what is wrong with our sport......nothing short of emabarrassing and creating a sad state of aaffairs...:sorry:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Where are all the Barry and Jay nut huggers this morning? Oh, they must all be late sleepers. Maybe this will wake some up. Johnnyt

Poolshootindon

Registered Pool Offender
Silver Member
Help in understanding

This from June 10, 2014 ---> More Good News from Barry Behrman

I’m very pleased to report that, again, this year’s event will be sanctioned by the World Pool Association and will be a Tier II rankings points event with $72,000 added making the total prize fund $200,000. All added money and players’ entry fees will be secured with Suntrust Bank months in advance.

Was the money secured in advance as the statement suggests? If so then it appears that the secured money is not enough to pay the players and additional revenue is needed to fulfill his obligation to the players.

Last edited:

kevpull

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool Hustle

Barry has perfected the art of the pool hustle. He is hustling the best players in the world without picking up a cue. I learned years ago that no one can hustle me unless I allow it.

phillyviper1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The sad thing about this is that even without players being paid and some atill owed from uears past. They still show up. That is the major problem with our sport. (PLAYERS EXCEPT IT). why else would they keep coming back if they didn't. Also you guys need to understand that barry has a drinking problem and leaving all that money in the hands of an alcoholic, would be like giving a crack head a bag of coke and expect him not to cook it up. ( sorry bad example). The bottom line is that as long as barry is running this even it will never change, we will have to deal with his long drawn out speeches , that make now sense, and the players will always have problems getting paid.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This is all very disheartening and, though I think there has been a rush to judgement here, there's ample cause for concern.

I care very deeply about the players and hope they will be paid in full very soon.

... but I also care deeply about the American pool scene, so my concern extends beyond the players. If the payments are not made promptly, will the US Open lose the world sanctioning that gave us the best internationally diverse field we've ever seen on American soil? If it does, will we ever see another field of this quality on the American pool scene?

The stakes may be higher than many realize here so my fingers are crossed and a quick resolution of this matter is very important to pool in America.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty sure Barry never planned on paying for the US Open from pool room profits. He plans on making profit from the gate and merchandise sales and vendor booth sales.

AFAIK Barry only ever had two locations.

Barry had 3 locations when i first went to the USO in the mid/late 90's. At least 3 were shown in the official program-then 2-then one. The ones that closed generally did so during a going economy. Looking around, I took that as a sign of someone dipping into the till a bit too often for VARIOUS reasons.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barry is 70. He stated that his dream was to leave this to his son. Didn't his son do a jam up job one year at the Masters? So that is some good news down the road.

Actually, in 2002, there was the Spring Open held at Q-Masters, which was run by Barry.

Brady promoted the Mid-Atlantic Open in January 2003, but due to it coming on the heels of Derby City Classic, then Music City Open, then Super Bowl occurring at the exact same time as the Mid-Atlantic Open, and a brutal snowstorm preventing folks from showing up, there was a very low turnout of spectators. The players, however, were in full force. The vendors got pissed off because they weren't selling anything due to lack of attendance, and many of them stiffed Brady.

I think Efren won it. Some players did not get paid from this event. It was held at the then-Holiday Inn, the same place that is today the Marriott. It actually was a great tournament, but the money issues and payouts plagued this great event -- and still do today if anybody reads the posts written by Danny Harriman. He hasn't been paid in full.

Here's an article about it ---> HERE

OMG, hard to believe this was 11 years ago. Keith and I both had no gray hair. :embarrassed2:

We did have fun at this tournament. Photo courtesy of Diana Hoppe. If you are an AzBilliards Gold Member, there are some really cool pool photos that Diana took for this tournament.

Attachments

• Mid-Atlantic.jpg
    Mid-Atlantic.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 952

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is all very disheartening and, though I think there has been a rush to judgement here, there's ample cause for concern.

I care very deeply about the players and hope they will be paid in full very soon.

... but I also care deeply about the American pool scene, so my concern extends beyond the players. If the payments are not made promptly, will the US Open lose the world sanctioning that gave us the best internationally diverse field we've ever seen on American soil? If it does, will we ever see another field of this quality on the American pool scene?

The stakes may be higher than many realize here so my fingers are crossed and a quick resolution of this matter is very important to pool in America.

I am waiting anxiously Jay Helfert's take on the player stiffing controversy!! I really value Jay's opinion, because I know he will be straight up, and won't sugarcoat anything.....

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Very true and well said. :smile:

Somebody wrote that during Barry's speech before the final match began that he made a statement about payment not being forthcoming at the end of the match, and that the look on Orcollo's face was one of shock. :eek:

Keith said if he had heard that remark, he might have just unscrewed his stick and left. I'm not sure if he means that. The title is something that every pro pool player desires. But Keith is more about the money and not tin cups and titles. :grin-square:

But the U.S. Open, he said he probably would have played because of the prestigue, but after that remark by Barry, Keith said all the air would have been out of his tires, and his game would have gone down to the 7-ball.

I will note that Keith has *never* had a problem getting paid by Barry Behrman. Never.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Is it possible that Barry's incapacity for payment is a result of having spent it all on champagne for the victory ceremony.

At $100/glass x 170 people x 10 glasses per person (everyone did seem smashed) = $170,000.

... and it was $170,000 added.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Very true and well said. :smile:

Somebody wrote that during Barry's speech before the final match began that he made a statement about payment not being forthcoming at the end of the match, and that the look on Orcollo's face was one of shock.

This is the first open finals I ever watched via the stream. I could not believe the sounds that came out of Barry's mouth parts! And then he started on about stiffing players blah blah blah. Wow. I could not bilieve my eyes or ears. A travesty, but I was powerless to turn away from the morbid spectacle!