Pool Keno Board

Brian in VA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody ever seen one? A friend of mine asked me last night if I could make one as woodworking is one of my other hobbies. Described it as a board that lays across the rails of a pool table, covering the playing surface at rail height from about the spot to the foot rail, with a ramp up from the playing cloth. The object of the game, from what I could glean, was to break a rack of balls and then shoot them up the ramp into holes that are cut into the board. A ball in a hole scores you that balls value of points, first one to 81 wins. I've just done a google search looking for a picture and come up dry. Does anyone here own one, have a pic they could send me, some directions for the game, a diagram on how to make one, anything?

Thanks in advance!

Brian in VA

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brian in VA said:
Anybody ever seen one? A friend of mine asked me last night if I could make one as woodworking is one of my other hobbies. Described it as a board that lays across the rails of a pool table, covering the playing surface at rail height from about the spot to the foot rail, with a ramp up from the playing cloth. The object of the game, from what I could glean, was to break a rack of balls and then shoot them up the ramp into holes that are cut into the board. A ball in a hole scores you that balls value of points, first one to 81 wins. I've just done a google search looking for a picture and come up dry. Does anyone here own one, have a pic they could send me, some directions for the game, a diagram on how to make one, anything?

Thanks in advance!

Brian in VA

Yes, it looks like this. Front slopes up.

Last edited:

bbhistorian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago there was one at Jack and Jills in Glen Burnie, MD. I don't know if it's still there, but it was rarely used. If they still have it I bet you could buy it off them.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brian in VA said:

Thanks in advance!

Brian, you're very handy with woodworking, I know. I love the placques you make each year for the U.S. Open and the Virginia State 9-Ball Championship. First class all the way!

Word of advice on the Keno board, if you decide to make one up. The way it fits on the end rail is very important.

Years ago, there was a gambler by the name of Mickey who used to bet it up big time. One day, he got into a Keno game with a local high-roller named "Hadji." They were betting $500 a roll. Another fellow came up and began to bet Mickey on the side. End result, Mickey lost over $10,000 that one day playing Keno. Keno is a great game for gamblers.

Be aware that there there are some "Keno mechanics" that exist who know how to gerry-rig a Keno board so that their ball rolls in the money hole quite often. The key to their cheating, though, is how the Keno board fits on the table.

JAM

Mike_Mason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well here's another opportunity to quote from WONDERBOYS...

Spaces added for readability...The narrator talking about what a great houseman the Whale was...pp. 99-100...

"The Whale brought out the Keno board every once in a while. He had to put it away again once the excitement got so heated that the other tables went unused. When that Keno board came out, you had to play or watch, it was that exciting.

The board was antique wood and fit perfectly under the rails at the head of the table. There were holes in the board where balls could rest. The slots were numbered, and the board had a little ramp to allow balls to roll up on the board and skitter around until they found a home or couldn't stick and rolled back down.

The perfect ring game. Play begins with the opening player smashing the rack and hoping balls come up table onto the board. Players then take turns, one shot at a time whether any balls stick to the board or not. When a ball lands on a circle, you add the number on the ball to the number of the hole and those points are yours. Sixty-two points wins the game. Those points you own are always precarious, because if a player knocks your ball out of its hole, that ball then belongs to him, if it sticks in another hole, that is.

Another winner is to put a ball in the same numbered hole, like if the four ball lands on the four hole. Some holes are wild, the double Keno hole has two stars on it and pays double stakes. There are two doubles, one left, one right, and one triple Keno in the center of the board, with three stars.

Nobody talked while you were stroking the cue ball, but once contact was made, the opposition loudly coaxed your ball to “swim”, to wobble from hole to hole and skid off the board. If you didn't play defense on the following player, you were roundly booed and harassed. Those Keno games were more fun than Las Vegas."

acedotcom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That brings back memories. I walked into a poolroom in Boonton, NJ, 40 some years ago and saw one of those boards on one of the tables. I was there to play pool so I didn't ask what the board was for. There was also a 3 cushion billiards table. I told the guy who was running the poolroom that I had never played before but he insisted on playing me a game and set the balls up. I shot first, ran 6 and he quit. I've never played the game since. The guy running the poolroom was the brother of Wimpy Piontek, a local player of note. :)

Brian in VA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Guys!

As is always the case, the members of AZ come through! Hemicudas, you are the nuts!

I'll let you know when I get something put together. Bear in mind, I'm just the building talent!

JAM thanks for the kudos! It warms my woodworker's heart to know that Keith is the proud owner of a couple of those trophies! It also makes a great story to tell my friends, pool players or not. :D

All the best rolls to you!

Brian in VA

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
Mike_Mason said:
Spaces added for readability...The narrator talking about what a great houseman the Whale was...pp. 99-100...

"The Whale brought out the Keno board every once in a while. He had to put it away again once the excitement got so heated that the other tables went unused. When that Keno board came out, you had to play or watch, it was that exciting.

The board was antique wood and fit perfectly under the rails at the head of the table. There were holes in the board where balls could rest. The slots were numbered, and the board had a little ramp to allow balls to roll up on the board and skitter around until they found a home or couldn't stick and rolled back down.

The perfect ring game. Play begins with the opening player smashing the rack and hoping balls come up table onto the board. Players then take turns, one shot at a time whether any balls stick to the board or not. When a ball lands on a circle, you add the number on the ball to the number of the hole and those points are yours. Sixty-two points wins the game. Those points you own are always precarious, because if a player knocks your ball out of its hole, that ball then belongs to him, if it sticks in another hole, that is.

Another winner is to put a ball in the same numbered hole, like if the four ball lands on the four hole. Some holes are wild, the double Keno hole has two stars on it and pays double stakes. There are two doubles, one left, one right, and one triple Keno in the center of the board, with three stars.

Nobody talked while you were stroking the cue ball, but once contact was made, the opposition loudly coaxed your ball to “swim”, to wobble from hole to hole and skid off the board. If you didn't play defense on the following player, you were roundly booed and harassed. Those Keno games were more fun than Las Vegas."
I miss those games. We used to play for 5 a game all night.

fade

Registered
keno

Last time I saw one was in a pool room in Killeen, TX. I forgot all about that game,that was 1978.

bigg7

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
keno

Side Pockets in Sandusky had one we played keno on the center hole and half keno on the side holes and after your ball stoped and you counted your points the ball went down.Won and lost many Johnny Angels paychecks playing that game!

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen then here in Michigan, hard to find, I will check around and see if I can get a picture. I think they lay flat on the table at one in and you shoot the balls up the ramp into the holes. I will look and ask around, should be easy to make.

quitecoolguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wondered what that thing looked like. I was in side pocket the other night a group of guys were going on and on about how big of a money game it was and how hard it was, and how much fun it was....wouldnt mind giving it a try.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Weenie Beanie had a board, brought it with him to the LA Open, the one that Mard Tad won. I think Billy won more money off that board the last day after the tournament than those finishing in the top three. Jay I think ran the event, he would have some good inside info on the board and Beans score. Weenie could beat you on the felt more ways than one.

SixSence

Richmond Boy'
Silver Member
Hey Brian,

Go to the Triple during the day on Saturdays. Larry Kressel is there all day because his gf works there. He hardly ever can get action playing 9ball, so lately they've been playing keno, and have one of the few keno boards around in richmond.

Keno is a really easy game, but be aware if you're an unlucky person, I'd advise you to stay away from it. It can be the most frustrating game you've ever played, and has nothing to do with skill at pool. There's a little strategy to it, but it's quickly learned within the first 15 min of playing. Good luck, have fun :)

Mr.Bumps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
amos & andy put pills 5-15 in bottle, draw pill. equal your number by shooting balls up board, example: 8 pill shoot the 5 into the 3 hole, also if u were to shoot the 8 into the amos/andy hole it would pay double. any ball in amos/andy hole auto winner unless someone has that numberd ball in which it would just pay normal not double unless he shoots himself there, also for amos and andy the pockets r blocked off. im not sure if these rules r "by the book" but it is the way it was played where i grew up any other questions ill try and help

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Used to be one at Triangle Billiards on Washington Avenue in Endicott, NY down the road from Binghamton. I never played it but I saw it played a few times.