Pool mechanic etiquette - guy's coming to back to fix an uneven table a few months later since he guarantees his work - do I tip?

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The side down the long rail. GC1.

FWIW, he didn't show up today and is not returning texts. Lol. Hopefully he does at some point because I'd rather not have to hire someone new to level it who hasn't worked on it before.
Damn!! That sucks.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a lifetime guarantee from the guy who set up my table and then the poor guy had a fatal heart attack. He told me a story about fixing a poor job by a table mechanic he recommended and the table owner didn't pay him. If I posted the name publicly you would be astounded at how an extremely wealthy person can be so cheap and I do mean extremely wealthy.

NYCnoob99

Registered
I'm still having a problem understanding how the floor settling is going to make the slate bend just by one rail.
Me too. But both the mechanic and the seller said that's probably it when I sent them a video, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Me too. But both the mechanic and the seller said that's probably it when I sent them a video, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt.
I suppose if the floor only moved under one foot, it would twist the frame which in turn could twist the slate.....maybe?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I suppose if the floor only moved under one foot, it would twist the frame which in turn could twist the slate.....maybe?
But what the OP seems to be reporting is that roughly the foot of slate near the left long rail slopes down towards the rail like the crown of the road towards a gutter and the rest of the table plays level. Or maybe I misunderstood the description. I suppose that could happen if you pulled the feet of the table together and bent the frame. Or maybe something else is going on.

Since we're creating wild scenarios.... Maybe the installer used shims under the slate to get it flat and somehow one side ended up unsupported and was just hanging out in the air, and the slate was flat like that. Or maybe just lightly supported. Then over time that side relaxed down. I have no idea whether this is even possible. Where's RKC when you need him? :giggle: :poop:

NYCnoob99

Registered
But what the OP seems to be reporting is that roughly the foot of slate near the left long rail slopes down towards the rail like the crown of the road towards a gutter and the rest of the table plays level. Or maybe I misunderstood the description. I suppose that could happen if you pulled the feet of the table together and bent the frame. Or maybe something else is going on.

Since we're creating wild scenarios.... Maybe the installer used shims under the slate to get it flat and somehow one side ended up unsupported and was just hanging out in the air, and the slate was flat like that. Or maybe just lightly supported. Then over time that side relaxed down. I have no idea whether this is even possible. Where's RKC when you need him? :giggle: :poop:
He did use some shims, I recall it while watching him install. Here is the video of the issue. https://streamja.com/waXp3

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally I tip in 2 circumstances.

1) when I know that the person makes a sub-standard wage because tips are presumed to make up part of their compensation

2) when someone not covered by 1) above provides service above and beyond the normal expectation

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Paid a mechanic $500 to install my table a few months ago (no move, just install/level). He said he does a one-year guarantee on the level. A few months later there are some areas where the table is definitely not level. Probably floor settling a bit.

We are scheduling time for him to come back and take a look/level it.

Do I tip him when he comes back? Is this just part of what I paid for originally so no need to tip/pay again? Just trying to get a sense of what is considered the standard thing to do in this situation. It is my first table and first time getting it re-leveled so I have no idea what is normal.

Thanks
No........