Pool mechanic etiquette - guy's coming to back to fix an uneven table a few months later since he guarantees his work - do I tip?

TEAM SLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would definitely tip.... many good "why's" to keep your table mechanic happy within reason.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
If you appreciate the effort you show it. Always. We’re not animals.

Think it is how you feel about service you got, it is not my place to tell you what to do, I can share my thoughts on Tipping. Then we are all on own to make choice.

Should you Tip the ER Doctor for doing their job? How about the Housekeeper in Hospital who job it is to clean your room. How about people just working, for agree upon wadg?

Howe about carrying fresh Donut daily if you get ticket, you can offer Cops Donut for4 doing job catch speeders. Actually friend is Firefighter, people bring cooks, etc. By the firehouse, they alway say thank you. Then everything goes into Trash because of world we live in, people do not love first responders any more. Know Cops who alway brown bag it, they too are in fear if someone would want to hurt them say with broken glass in a Hamburger, wonderful world.

Reactions: kid

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tip but I agree, have long thought tipping is out of hand. Also, the tip rate has continued to rise, what was wrong with 10%? 10, 15, 20, 25, where does it stop?
The importance of tipping is more critical as it pertains to lower wage service jobs in which the employee depends on $ tips to make a decent wage. A pool table mechanic working for himself who is making +\- $100 / hour for his work, probably doesn’t qualify, but for an employee working for a pool table company who is getting paid $15-$20 / hour, it might be more appropriate. Believe me I realize there are $ costs to being in business, but unless this fitter’s travel time was in excess of 1 hour each way and/or he was there for considerably more then 3 hours, you can do the math.

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
The importance of tipping is more critical as it pertains to lower wage service jobs in which the employee depends on $ tips to make a decent wage. A pool table mechanic working for himself who is making +\- $100 / hour for his work, probably doesn’t qualify, but for an employee working for a pool table company who is getting paid $15-$20 / hour, it might be more appropriate. Believe me I realize there are $ costs to being in business, but unless this fitter’s travel time was in excess of 1 hour each way and/or he was there for considerably more then 3 hours, you can do the math.

Well they use to be called Waitresses, and Waiters. Today most a servers, get health and your a server. Most do not know me ue, how stuff is made, or if from scratch, little ownership. So what would you tip these non professionals, they your favorite charity?

Wages should be on supply & demand of applicant for jobs, and qualifications, and training for job. Take more then 3 or 4 days to be Nurosurgon. Maybe that is why they charge what they do.

The guy doing the pool table has tools, supplies, truck, training etc. So maybe the $100.00/help cover cost, plus profit.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
The return visit was in the original bid.
As basic hospitality I would offer cookies and milk or a cold beer. After! The adjustment.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think it is how you feel about service you got, it is not my place to tell you what to do, I can share my thoughts on Tipping. Then we are all on own to make choice.

Should you Tip the ER Doctor for doing their job? How about the Housekeeper in Hospital who job it is to clean your room. How about people just working, for agree upon wadg?

Howe about carrying fresh Donut daily if you get ticket, you can offer Cops Donut for4 doing job catch speeders. Actually friend is Firefighter, people bring cooks, etc. By the firehouse, they alway say thank you. Then everything goes into Trash because of world we live in, people do not love first responders any more. Know Cops who alway brown bag it, they too are in fear if someone would want to hurt them say with broken glass in a Hamburger, wonderful world.
I’m not sure where you were going with all this, I just make sure people who work in service industry’s know I appreciated their work. And always over tip breakfast servers. They work just as hard if not harder as the guy who gets a fifty dollar tip just for opening a bottle of wine. But to each his own.

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
Scott Rabon setup my table. I paid him extra. He was there for about 5 hours setting it up at a quoted $350 (slate level, pin, beeswax, cloth, etc) after driving to Charleston from Columbia. I just provided cloth. Rails were already done. It was worth it.

Then played some one-hole after that. Quite a good experience having a pro player at the house. Also bought pizza. A great experience, one I won't forget.

I'd tip if he does a good job. Even if it isn't much, the gesture shows appreciation.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
If you had received good service both times I would at least tip him enough to buy lunch and maybe $20 additional for fuel just to cover his costs.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
OK, lets take it from the top. The acronym is TIPS. To Insure Prompt Service. The person who is friendly and tips a bit comes out ahead of the world class jerk that treats a service person like crap.

One thing to consider, you think the issue is caused by the floor settling rather than poor initial install. Your floor you provided to set up the pool table on not a quick or careless job. The old rule was owners didn't get tipped and I refused tips through the eighties, the last time I was in a business to potentially get a tip. However, many a small business owner is doing the work too and they appreciate tips as much as anyone else doing the work. An owner sitting behind a desk smoking a big cigar, no tip. An owner in the grease with his workers, tip.

On this return trip I would toss at least a twenty to cover fuel. After that, it would depend on my impression of how the trip went.

A little story about tipping. My brother and a few of his coworkers were on a training trip. Beer and hard stuff in the rooms evenings. No ice box so my brother would fill the kitchenette sink in his room with ice and put his beer and liquor in it. He left a tip for the maid every night. The maids saw the tips, saw the ice melting in the sink, and started putting his beer and alcohol on ice so when he came in everything was cold. One of his co-workers came in and noticed the VIP treatment. "Man, they don't do that for me!" "Do you tip?" "I always leave one big tip at the end of the stay." "How do they know you are going to tip when you are leaving?"

Get bang for your buck. Offering a cold drink or coffee before they start never hurts. They usually won't take it at that time but you are establishing a relationship even if it is only for a few hours.

You spread a lot of bread on the waters, you never know when it will come back to you. I tip at pool halls, usually. Somebody taking me over the hurdles a little bit can find the tip disappearing. At Buff's, Jerry's, a handful of other places, I tip nicely. In return I get little minor perks. Always remember what TIPS stands for. Since we tip at the end of the visit we are building good will for the next time. Good owners take care of their people. They notice when you do too.

Hu

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well I see tip are a bonus for special service, like a sales bonuses, or annual bonus if company has profitable year. Many companies use to pay annual bonuses if the company had a great year. Now the old annual bonus has gone away in many places.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Paid a mechanic $500 to install my table a few months ago (no move, just install/level). He said he does a one-year guarantee on the level. A few months later there are some areas where the table is definitely not level. Probably floor settling a bit.

We are scheduling time for him to come back and take a look/level it.

Do I tip him when he comes back? Is this just part of what I paid for originally so no need to tip/pay again? Just trying to get a sense of what is considered the standard thing to do in this situation. It is my first table and first time getting it re-leveled so I have no idea what is normal.

Thanks
What "areas" of the table are not level? Also what kind of table is it please.

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
Paid a mechanic $500 to install my table a few months ago (no move, just install/level). He said he does a one-year guarantee on the level. A few months later there are some areas where the table is definitely not level. Probably floor settling a bit.

Do I tip him when he comes back? Is this just part of what I paid for originally so no need to tip/pay again? Just trying to get a sense of what is considered the standard thing to do in this situation. It is my first table and first time getting it re-leveled so I have no idea what is normal.

Thanks
The fact that you asked this question means the answer is yes....Otherwise why ask??? Your getting two different answers..Some say yes and some say no...So go with your first feeling which I think was yes in your mind...Only you and your conscience can decide, no one can do it for you...

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a lifetime guarantee from the guy who set up my table and then the poor guy had a fatal heart attack.

TurboDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks

Probably floor settling a bit...

That suggests that that the installer did a good job and you paid him properly for his services. However the return trip to relevel the table is no fault of his and out of his control. The problem was not the install, but on your shoulders for the floors settling.

If he did his job correctly and to your satisfaction, Tip, say thank you and stay in good standing.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm still having a problem understanding how the floor settling is going to make the slate bend just by one rail.