Pool on TV, claps for every shot?

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
All part of a class C production, produced by people who don't have a clue anyway. And that's how I really feel.

Class "C" production? More like a rinky dink, "no class" production.

Jim

gobrian77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm over in Thailand and we get most of the major Asian tournaments on the tube over here (Guinness 9-Ball Tourney is getting quite a bit of airtime at the moment, mostly in re-runs until the next leg starts)- at the recent leg in Shanghai, unless you were a "local boy" you had to perform miracles to get acknowledgment from the crowd, and in tight matches they would clap when guys from out-of-town made mistakes- it was brutal.:D

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
If I paid for my ticket to watch the WPBA I'd be damned if I would take orders from Steve or anyone else telling me WHEN to clap. And if the people with in arms reach were doing the clapping there might be a problem there too. As far as an WPBA player speaking up...I don't think that will happen. The WPBA runs their tour with an iron fist and you seldom hear any player complaining in public or to the board. Their affraid they'll get Balukast. Probablly why it's been around thirty years. Johnnyt

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I happened to be watching the ljj vs sigel event that mattman mentioned while reading this thread and I agree, the commentary was pure ass... and beyond that, there were a few inappropriate claps. Mostly it was a smart and quit crowd, but at one point loree missed her called ball and accidentally knocked mike's in a different pocket, and they clapped. I'm hoping it was just some (misguided) appreciation for her run of 5 or 6 or whatever it was.

thebigdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate it!

Joe Rogan said:
I was watching some pool on tv tonight, and after a while I just got annoyed by all the clapping for every single shot, especially for easy ones.
I think sinking the 9 to end a game deserves applause, but there's something really distracting and silly about someone shooting a hanger and getting a big round of applause from the tv audience. In my opinion, it just makes the whole thing look goofy. My girlfriend, who already makes fun of me for watching pool on tv was even joking about it.

Whoever is responsible for that aspect of the television production, if you read the az forums, I think I can speak for everyone when I say, PLEASE cut the shit :)

Joe, you would be a perfect commentator for pool! I can't even watch pool on TV its so bad.
I think Joe and Jay would make a great broadcast team.

Reactions: sde

thebigdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy M. said:
I'm guessing that, most likely, you were watching women's pool. I have no idea when (or why) it became the standard to clap for every shot, but the television audience at the women's events always does that. I think most people, like yourself, find it pretty ridiculous. They clap when someone sh*ts a ball in! It's a joke. Between the clapping for every stop shot and Mitch Lawrence's commentating, I usually just hit the mute button if I'm going to watch a women's match on TV. It makes it much more enjoyable. :)
I've seen this done with the men as well. Its so bad that when pool is on I don't even look to see who is playing anymore.

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
Unfortunately the commentation and TV production of these events cater to the billiard illiterate and not to the informed. We are a minority and thats not where the MONEY is. I've purchased a library of video's and DVD's over the years as I'm sure you all have. I don't see it getting any better soon. Don

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
thebigdog said:
Joe, you would be a perfect commentator for pool! I can't even watch pool on TV its so bad.
I think Joe and Jay would make a great broadcast team.

Thanks! Yeah, we'd have fun and also do some good commentary I'm sure.

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
Production value in general needs to go way up, but that's not going to happen until someone in the industry also has an addiction for the game :p

Pool events on TV are terrible when it comes to production value when compared to most shows on TV. It needs someone on the inside respecting the talent to bring "it" up to where it should be.

Think about this:
The only time a pool event on TV has rivaled that of other shows in respect to production value was with the IPT. Kind of sad.

Spread the sport, get your friends to take it up and eventually it will be given the respect we all want it to be given.

mattman

Silver Member
jay helfert said:
Thanks! Yeah, we'd have fun and also do some good commentary I'm sure.
I think the best commentary teams are the ones that can poke and rib each other during the match, tell stories and do their job being informative and predicting the shots/run outs. I think one of the worst commentaries on ESPN would have to be Kevin Cusack.