Pool Terminology

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hope you chuckle at this one

I was hoping to get a couple of these along the way, and maybe some funny stories, thanks :)

no, no no - 12-25-2009, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerman View Post
For the same reason Americans say French Fries or several Canadians call a pool ball set "Boston." Because the first person Americans associated spin shots was an Englishman.

Fred
It's never that simple.Here's the truth. The Swedish had a traditional dish of fermented fish called ," Ingglish." It was eaten as a side dish to the entree.
For right- handed diners it was placed on the right side of the main plate
and for left- handed diners it was placed on the left side. Thus it became commonly referred to as right Ingglish or left Ingglish.

Swedish pool players picked this up and, as a joke at first, started calling their side spin either right Ingglish or left Ingglish. When Swedish pool players traveled to England for tournaments the English players heard this reference and, being as arrogant as they were, thought that the Swedes were saying ,"English."

Thereafter and to this day we now refer to sidespin as English.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My next article for PoolDawg is going to be aimed at demystifying pool terminology for people who are new to the game ...
Here is a list of possible terms to include: http://www.sfbilliards.com/jargon.html

A good reference for the origins of terms is Mike Shamos's "The New Illustrated Encyclopedia of Billiards" which gives the definitions and origins of over 2000 terms related to cue sports.

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
technical terms are good to define just to be certain the reader knows about them (running, inside, outside english etc). I think the rest of the jargon is all up for grabs. Betting lingo was a serious mystery for me for quite a while until I ran across one of the links already posted here. 'give the [ball number]' vs 'give the [ball number] and out' can be confusing. Giving "weight" is another one. "[number] ahead" as well.

"just cinch it" is one i hear from the wpba/espn commentators quite a lot and that one took a while to figure out when i first started watching.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
run, run out, break and run, package, pack. These are the most common terms in pool anywhere. It also makes it easier for noobs to understand what people are talking about.

If they don't know them, you have to instead say "I was playing straight pool a made 42 balls in a row without a miss in a single turn" or "I broke and pocketed every ball after the break and did it three times in a row without my opponent ever playing."

So much easier to say "I ran 42 balls" or "I ran a three pack"

Last edited:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Inside English
Outside English

Squerve (Swerve + Squirt) all three....kind of new...

Oh yeah, "accelerate your cue tip through the cue ball". :)
JoeyA

Yeah, Joey, and a new one you yourself invented -- "elbow dropper." (I personally can't seem to operate this "elbow dropper" thingie. I'm using a turkey baster pressed up against the wall with my elbow -- what do I fill it with? Water? And where do I aim it when I'm leaning into it with my elbow? What is the purpose of this "elbow dropper" thingie? :D )

-Sean

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
don't forget the guys (like me) who make up words on the spot.

some faves i created;

duckmanship= one who plays good or bad safeties.

spinage = another word for english, evolves to spinagemanship which is one who applies english good or bad.:grin-square:

"So oldzilla, did you eat your spinage with your duckmanship soup?"

:D

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The term "scratch" means different things in pool v. 3-cushion:

In Pool = scratch means foul, where it may be the cue ball goes off the table or in a pocket - as well as not driving a ball to a rail after contact or didn't hit the legal ball.

In 3-cushion = scratch means a lucky shot. It still counts but it was lucked in and you continue the run. This could be getting kissed in or making it a completely different way than planned.

Dave

philw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last 2
Woofing
a nickle
a dollar
set
race
ahead set
foot/head string
control the rock
control whitey
dead stroke
lock artist
lock smith
the nuts
laying it down
bar box
big track
one hole
golf
catching a gear
speed

Big pocket,barrel, air barrel, straight back, straight back underneath, dogged it, spin it in, ticky, double the rail, deadshot, clock your speed, post up, the ball skidded, one hit and the pick, jacked up,

Jagr Fan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool terminology

Do any of the forum users recall when what is now referred to behind the headstring as the "Kitchen" used to be commonly referred to as "in the grass"...???? And, if so, how and when did it change...????
Or, was "in the grass" more of a colloquial term here in this area (Mid-Atlantic states)...????

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
The kitchen is one of my favorite terms -- has a great history behind it. Understanding the strings, the spot, and the box would be useful for any beginner.

That word has great meaning for me to Pol Pot. On our third anniversary my second wife asked me to take her somewhere she'd never been before. So, I took her into the kitchen. Chokes me up just thinking about it. ;)

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Lagniappe

You might be able to get some ideas from my online glossary here:

It is 30 pages long and fairly comprehensive.

Regards,
Dave

I don't see "Lagniappe" in your glossary. I mean, WHAT THE HAY, you being a New Orleanian and all.

Lagniappe as in negotiating for a better spot but you don't want to be specific (because the sky is the limit), so you ask your opponent to provide a little lagniappe to the spot.

Example: "Hey Dude! You know that game isn't fair. How about a little lagniappe?"

Pronounciation: Lan-Yap! (Lan as in AN)

JoeyA

Last edited:

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
A lot of novice players or casual players don't differentiate between "bank" and "kick" correctly, often referring to "banking" the CB off a rail before contacting the object ball.

Also, I was confused by the term "ahead" for a long time when I first started reading and hearing about gambling matches. Took me a while before I figured out from context that it was referring to how big a lead one player has to achieve in order to win.

-Andrew

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Brooklyn Rack = balls racked loosely either intentionally or unintentionally. If racked loose intentionally it is done to create a disadvantage for the breaker.