Porper shaft wood or taper?

JBPA74

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there anyone that could tell me what taper Joe Porper used in his cues or if there was anything he did differently in building his cues that made them hit SO amazing? They had the stiffest, most solid hit I ever shot with. I had one years ago which I sold when I needed the money and have been regretting it ever since. I know there aren't a whole lot out there and now they are more collectible so I wouldn't be able to afford, or wouldn't want to shoot with one on a daily basis. I just haven't had the confidence in my game with any cue I have tried since and really would like to find SOMETHING that might hit like my Porper. Hopefully someone can give me any info or at least point me in the direction of something that might have that super stiff solid hit. I have played with a Predator for several years and while they are fairly stiff, the laminated shaft just feels different than my Porper did. Sorry to ramble, and thanks for any info you might have.

:(
 
I would put up a Wanted ad in the appropriately named section. Joe Porper was a very smart man, and I think his cases are some of the best around. I still have my 1x2, and it's never let me down.

Also, a predator cue is in a whole 'nother category than the stuff Joe was making. They would likely play very different.
 
Have you ever hit with a Porper? They hit so stiff and solid! If you have, is there anything out there that you might suggest would have that stiff of a hit? Could the taper be unique and make that much of a difference?
 
Coker cues hit pretty stiff. Guerra cues as well. There are a number of makers out there
 
Re Post this in the Ask the Cue maker Forum Buddy.

Lots of the guys have Fancy Schmancy Taper machines and know what they are doing.

There are more than a couple of Makers there that will no doubt have the experience to answer your question for you.

Even if they don't know what exact taper that Joe used, they should be able to give you a hand.

When you think about it, there are only so many different combinations that can be used.

Out of the three different tapers, Joe may have used what they call a Parabolic Taper.

A tad different than a European and a Pro Taper.

As you probably know, Joe was a whiz at building jigs and doo dads.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he built his own fancy shaft machine.

Anyway, that would be where I start off. Nice guys that hang there and are usually willing to answer a question or 4.

One of my shafts that someone gave me is ugly as sin with sugar marks all over. I matched it to a cheap EBay cue that I re did.

It has more of what you would call a European taper and it does have a naturally stiffer hit. Not very pretty but does the job nicely.

All I can say before you re post is that there are a few different variables in a shaft beyond just the taper itself.

That could be the quality of the wood, weight, ferrule size and material. Even maybe the joint pin and collar material to a certain extent. If I remember, Joe even made his own special designed ferrules. Saber T or something like that, or maybe I am thinking of someone else. My body is older, my mind is that of a 30 yr old that forgets much these days.

Ferrule material can really affect the feel in a hit obviously. Anywhere from soft Titan to any number of very hard materials.

Some of the makers as Chris Hightower would have known Joe personally in his hay day. So, on second thought to this, I would bet at least a Canadian 20 that Chris would be the one to help you.
 
Last edited:
Is there anyone that could tell me what taper Joe Porper used in his cues or if there was anything he did differently in building his cues that made them hit SO amazing? They had the stiffest, most solid hit I ever shot with. I had one years ago which I sold when I needed the money and have been regretting it ever since. I know there aren't a whole lot out there and now they are more collectible so I wouldn't be able to afford, or wouldn't want to shoot with one on a daily basis. I just haven't had the confidence in my game with any cue I have tried since and really would like to find SOMETHING that might hit like my Porper. Hopefully someone can give me any info or at least point me in the direction of something that might have that super stiff solid hit. I have played with a Predator for several years and while they are fairly stiff, the laminated shaft just feels different than my Porper did. Sorry to ramble, and thanks for any info you might have.

:(

For many years, Joe bought his shaft blanks from Samsara and used their basic taper, just finish sanded them. I also always liked the way Joe's cues played too. They had that "just right" feel. Gina and Jerry Franklin (SouthWest) both influenced Joe - these both have fairly stiff shafts too, so those three are a good place to look for a similar feel.
 
Last edited:
Predator is fairly stiff ????
The taper from tip to the middle of the shaft is almost straight.
 
Predator is fairly stiff ????

The taper from tip to the middle of the shaft is almost straight.


Sorry, I guess I should have said my Predator didn't play like a wet noodle like an old Meucci. My point was that I am looking for a considerably stiffer hitting cue like my Porper was.
 
Probably get what you want from someone using a parabolic taper

Maybe you can score the Porper mentioned, but if not look for cue builders that use a parabolic taper. My lathe is in storage right now complete with a taper bar set up for a parabolic taper. It is amazing how much stiffer it makes a shaft just moving the S section down a few inches. Two shafts can look identical to the casual eye and one be a noodle and the other hit like a crowbar.

Hu
 
Sorry, I guess I should have said my Predator didn't play like a wet noodle like an old Meucci. My point was that I am looking for a considerably stiffer hitting cue like my Porper was.

:scratchhead:


A wet noodle? Not all old Meucci shafts play the same.

Love my old Meucci shafts and high deflection.


:yes:
 
Sorry, I guess I should have said my Predator didn't play like a wet noodle like an old Meucci. My point was that I am looking for a considerably stiffer hitting cue like my Porper was.

Contact Alex Brick at: alex@brickcues ... He crafts great, stiff hitting cues
at reasonable prices .... and His Word is Gold !
 
Thanks Str8PoolPlayer! I actually did contact him a few months ago. J/B cue and it's a killer! LOL
 
I have a stiff Runde player for sale, his new 3/&x10 piloted joint is ridiculous. My prior player was a flat faced 5/16x14, it is for sale
 
Back
Top