Pro players' "other" jobs

DieselPete

To preface my question: I have no idea what kind of compensation there is from endorsement deals for today's top professional players, but it seems clear that there is a real lack of money available through tournament play. Compared to the 1980s and 1990s, there seems to be less money dollar-for-dollar and there definitely is less when adjusted for inflation.

My question: Do you know some of the other jobs that notable professionals have, if any?

Just curious!

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd think a player could do just fine if he had the right type of personality. I'll provide examples:

Take a guy like Chris Robinson. Everywhere I've seen him go, he makes friends. He could easily travel the country to any tournament he wants, stay with locals for free, give lessons while in town, and find cheap action that he's NEVER going to lose at.

Now take a guy like Danny Harriman.

:D

Geosnookery

I'd think a player could do just fine if he had the right type of personality. I'll provide examples:

Take a guy like Chris Robinson. Everywhere I've seen him go, he makes friends. He could easily travel the country to any tournament he wants, stay with locals for free, give lessons while in town, and find cheap action that he's NEVER going to lose at.

Now take a guy like Danny Harriman.

:D
That might be ok for a month or so....when 18 years old. Then wears thin real quickly.

SpiderWeb

iisgone@yahoo.com
Silver Member
All good players have the freatest fear of the same thing. Offer them full time employment.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well in the old days a lot of road players, also we’re the people who hit horse track by day, gamble on pool at night. Made a enough to live, but never accumulated a much else. Living in the come that sometime lead to sleeping in their car.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
you live in the present or prepare for the future.

one of the two works out a lot better when you get a little older.

the good part is that walmart always has openings for a greeter at the entrance.

middleofnowhere

Registered
according to a celebrity net worth sites. Jeannette Lee's net worth is 7 million dollars. I guess she did things right,

middleofnowhere

Registered
Those net worth sites are worthless.
WP
Sometimes they mix people up with similar names you see somebody with a big net worth and you discovered there's a a pro football player with the same name.

But I've compared a number of them and they're pretty much on the money particularly if they're taking it from public tax records that sort of thing.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago I think I remember some magazine saying that Jeanette was making over $400K a year in endorsements. Our own Jay suggested it was closer to $1MM a year. It was said that Jeanette was the highest paid of any pro player, male or female at that time.

Again I think the Cuetec deal with Earl Strickland years ago was $60K a year which I thought would be be great if you added all the wins and other deals he had going on

Again as I understand it, in the olden days cue makers like Meucci gave the players a bunch of cues to sell along the way to fund their way.

IMO, only SVB, player today in the US that can be making a significant amount.

Ken

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
according to a celebrity net worth sites. Jeannette Lee's net worth is 7 million dollars. I guess she did things right,

sometimes that data is based on sales of the company the employee worked for
not the personal income of that employee

middleofnowhere

Registered
sometimes that data is based on sales of the company the employee worked for
not the personal income of that employee
She has a nice house (Its in her name) that in she paid like $400,000 for so she aint broke.
It also appears she has another interest that is worth over a million.

Last edited:

DieselPete

Yeah, I don't know about speculating about annual pool-related income or net worth. I was wondering if people knew, for a fact, that a player is also a realtor, and another player owns a pool hall (or is part owner), or another player is a bank teller by day. Whatever.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I don't know about speculating about annual pool-related income or net worth. I was wondering if people knew, for a fact, that a player is also a realtor, and another player owns a pool hall (or is part owner), or another player is a bank teller by day. Whatever.
Danny Harriman is a TV commercial actor. Verified.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Neptune Joe Frady didn't win a lot of tournaments in the N.Y/N.J. area but gave all the top players of his era all they could handle worked for many years at Earle Ammunition depot unloading ammo ships.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
They called Joe Balsis the “Meatman” for a good reason.
Yes, but Joe is a special case. After being an incredible junior player, Joe passed up on pro pool for close to twenty years to work in the meat business and then came back to pro pool and still managed to have a BCA Hall of Fame worthy career. Nearly all the significant titles Joe won were when he was over 40 years old, and, in this sense, his career was unlike that of any other player in history.