Pro players' "other" jobs

btal

Registered
PGA members include about 27,000 golf pros, according to the PGA website. While many of these professionals work on the business or management side of golf, many others fit the commonly used “golf pro” label. I wonder how many pool "house" pros exist in America and are able to "save" for the future.

Lynch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Assuming Sky got a nice cut from his backer and whatever he had bet, he may not have to work for the rest of 2021. Hard to say though, having a family can be expensive.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Weenie Beenie has a chain of hot dog stands I think. Donnie Mills is called "car lot" for obvious reasons. I think many people have said Donnie was the best player with a full time job hehe.
Weenie Beanie has been dead for decades. His hot dogs stands are also long gone. That said, they provided him with a constant source of gambling revenue, and he got to be a quite decent player gambling with the other greats. He was one of nicest gentlemen I ever met.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
why would anyone back someone on so close of a game. well a fool would but i wouldnt ever.
i would bet and take all the loss and all the win on a close bet if i thought my side had the best of the bet.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Weenie Beanie has been dead for decades. His hot dogs stands are also long gone. That said, they provided him with a constant source of gambling revenue, and he got to be a quite decent player gambling with the other greats. He was one of nicest gentlemen I ever met.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
There is one left. They must own the land...they are sitting on a valuable plot.
Screenshot_20210413-224035.jpg

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Pro pool players that are parents can be equally worth noting.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some professional pool players are professional poker and backgammon players. So if one job falls through they have two other steady jobs to fall back on....

Geosnookery

Did I hear Danny Basavich was driving a cab ?
Gary Wilson, a mid ranking Snooker player, drove a cab and made £100k ($145k) reaching the final four of the World Snooker Championship in 2019.

Coincidently, he’ s playing today in a qualifyting round, he’s up in a best of 17...likely win £20k...can buy a new cab. If he goes on a round in the final 16, he can start taking cabs.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
One time, Minnesota Fats was asked what type of job it would take for him to go to work.
He thought about it for a few seconds, then said, “It would have to be a job where I worked from 12 to 1, and got an hour off for lunch.

WP

Last edited: