Pro Pool in America

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
MikeJanis said:
JoeyA, if I was in a position to delegate my authority (which I am not, according to my Wife) I would put you in charge of writing this book. It's a great idea. I really think you should and can do it. You have enough knowledge and experience to get it going on the right track. I am positive you could get suggestions from many others to help with the project.

What say you ?

When you get the authority, send me my commission and give me the time frame in which it needs to be done and I will put it together with an all-volunteer team of people who will have obtain critical input from all around the globe. With the use of the Internet, I would put together a team who could utilize some of the technology at our disposal for maximum effectiveness. We have more than a few people in different areas right here on AZ who could make major contributions in this area. When the FAT CATS get off some of that cash they have been holding on to, we will get them to front us some conference money for a meeting at one of the big tournaments like the Viking Tour or some other. :) :)
JoeyA

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amen!

bfdlad said:
Here here, I have said that before. Do you know how many people would be out of work and the billions in advertising, taex on the tobacco company's, taxes on the emplyeees, the taxes to buy them etc if they go away, it will cost $1,000 per hour to play pool and your pinto would coat $100k
Well said bfdlad, Let all the clean air people move to the "Garden of Eden"
where all is pure and without any imperfections. If there were such
a place I'd go there myself so they would quit ragging on me!

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
okinawa77 said:
Jerry,

I think to assist the growth of professional pool in America. We need to grow on the youth and amateur level.

I think creating a larger pool job market for people may get them out of an office cubicle, and into pool halls and/or pool industry related jobs that promote the sport.

I would love to quit my job as a semiconductor equipment engineer, and find a job in the pool industry that will pay just as well.

I frequently travel to Japan for work, and it is really hard to find a pool hall. Most of the Japanese rarely play pool. I just went to an entertainment building, it was a bowling and gaming center: 3 floors of gaming (arcade); 3 floors of bowling; and 1 floor with darts, billiards, and karaoke. It seems to me that everyone was more interested in everything else, than the pool tables. And most of the people playing were young people.

In Japan, it is more evident that jobs come first, and it leaves little time for anything else. So, during weekdays (9-5), the pool halls are empty...other than a few people that may have the day off from work...or youths.

It is the same in the U.S. Pool Halls usually don't open until noon, and that is early. Business is very slow until people get out of work. How do we get people in the pool halls during normal business hours? <See idea #1>

So, if we can make a large, widespread job market for the pool industry, not just for pro players and large pool manufacturing products, that would definitely assist in the growth of professional pool.

So, the question is....how do we grow in the pool job market.
Here are some of my ideas:
1. Pool hall growth: Maybe with 5 star restaurant quality food-lease the kitchen to a catering company. This reduces overhead cost, and will create more jobs as more pool halls are introduced. Partnering with a catering company (or mini restaurant) may enable pool business start ups, as the initial start up investment can be too high for most prospective pool business people.
2. Higher revenue for pool instruction: At a local level, there are few instructors because the pay is low....for most this is a second job. In order to make this a primary job we need to find a way to convince players to pay more for instructions and/or get more student numbers of participation.
3. More attractions at Pro Events: How about having a super star band play music before, during intermission, and at the end of the event...to draw in more spectators? More spectators means for admissions collections and opportunities for purchases (booths that sell pool products) during the event.
4. More player interaction during Pro Events: I think the more entertaining TV events are the ones with 2 players that are friends, and talk to each other during the match. It shows that they are people with character, and creates a more friendly, relaxed atmosphere...even for the spectators. If 2 players are not talking at all, it's like watching robots. It seems dull, and non-entertaining.

These are just some ideas I had rolling around in my head.

Again, if I could replace my job with something in the pool industry, I would do it...in a heartbeat.
You have some excellent observations. Please do not give up on what
we are trying to accomplish. We need guys like you.
Frank Burgess in Denver, the propieter of the Table Steaks franchise,
has created exactly what you are espousing. Give him a call.

Last edited:

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
If smoking didn't exist.....

bfdlad said:
Here here, I have said that before. Do you know how many people would be out of work and the billions in advertising, taex on the tobacco company's, taxes on the emplyeees, the taxes to buy them etc if they go away, it will cost $1,000 per hour to play pool and your pinto would coat $100k

If smoking didn't exist, not only would all of that tax money still be put into the economy, so would all of the profits that the tobacco companies make. That is an idiotic statement. The money would be spent on other things and help the economy the same or better than it does in tobacco. I'm not saying to take away tobacco. I just don't want you blosing it in my face. I used to not mind but now that some of the states have instituted the smoking bans, it's hard on us that aren't used to it anymore and truthfully, we shouldn't have to deal with it. If you want to smoke, go outside, that doesn't stop you from being able to smoke, but you're smoking can prevent some of us from enjoying a nice night out at the pool hall.

MikeJanis

Banned
JoeyA said:
When you get the authority, send me my commission and give me the time frame in which it needs to be done and I will put it together with an all-volunteer team of people who will have obtain critical input from all around the globe. With the use of the Internet, I would put together a team who could utilize some of the technology at our disposal for maximum effectiveness. We have more than a few people in different areas right here on AZ who could make major contributions in this area. When the FAT CATS get off some of that cash they have been holding on to, we will get them to front us some conference money for a meeting at one of the big tournaments like the Viking Tour or some other. :) :)
JoeyA

Joey, if you write it well enough your commission will be immortality. I give you permission as a parent (will that work) I think its the highest most important authority I have so it should be ok.

You already seem to have an idea of what the guide book should say, now all you have to do is put in in writing. I'd bet you could hav an outline done in 1-2 days. Once you get it together start a thread here on AZ. Maybe put in in the test forum to keep it a secret then invite respected players and industry members from AZ to review and add suggestion at their convenience. After that I would say it would take about a week or two to complete. It won't need published in book for because I am sure we/you could just put it on the net somewhere or everywhere. I would help out in any way I can.

Mj

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bigkahuna said:
In the history of pool there has been a major resurgence after a hit movie about the game perhaps we need to produce the Hulster trilogy:rolleyes:
Great idea, but we need new characters. Paul Newman is in the early
stages of alzheimers and Tom Cruise is over the hill. I think it should
feature Ronnie Allen (his dementia has not progressed to pre alz yet) as Newman's character, and SVB as the young Cruise.
Sure to be a straight to DVD hit.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Originally Posted by steveharn
When you take that "First Step" then you start walking.

bfdlad said:
We got that philosopher Niechie on here. I m not smart enough to spell that stuff let alone understand it. sorry mate,

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) Good one:p

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jaden said:
If smoking didn't exist, not only would all of that tax money still be put into the economy, so would all of the profits that the tobacco companies make. That is an idiotic statement. The money would be spent on other things and help the economy the same or better than it does in tobacco. I'm not saying to take away tobacco. I just don't want you blosing it in my face. I used to not mind but now that some of the states have instituted the smoking bans, it's hard on us that aren't used to it anymore and truthfully, we shouldn't have to deal with it. If you want to smoke, go outside, that doesn't stop you from being able to smoke, but you're smoking can prevent some of us from enjoying a nice night out at the pool hall.
What are you saying ? No tax money= O $ No cigs = O $ Profit for
tobacco industry........What money?...Where?....Huh?

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the main deterent to the success of pool is how expensive the tables are. We need Scotty to build us some super plastic slate. Somebody beam him down!

I think pool,snooker succeeded in England because of their LIFESTLYE. After work, I can envision a far greater majority of them going to pubs. Besides women and beer, snooker was the perfect sport for them.

In the US, if tables were super cheap and had some quality, it would be an incentive for golf courses to build extentions to their clubhouses. Then we would be simulating somewhat the European culture with the pub atmosphere. As it stands now, most golfers finish 18 and rush home to their wives.

Other than those variables, I believe the APA and other leagues is going to be our salvation in the long term. It will just take time, and if pool tables were cheaper this would accelerate this process much faster.

JoeyA

Silver Member
MikeJanis said:
Joey, if you write it well enough your commission will be immortality. I give you permission as a parent (will that work) I think its the highest most important authority I have so it should be ok.

You already seem to have an idea of what the guide book should say, now all you have to do is put in in writing. I'd bet you could hav an outline done in 1-2 days. Once you get it together start a thread here on AZ. Maybe put in in the test forum to keep it a secret then invite respected players and industry members from AZ to review and add suggestion at their convenience. After that I would say it would take about a week or two to complete. It won't need published in book for because I am sure we/you could just put it on the net somewhere or everywhere. I would help out in any way I can.

Mj

Is the governing body, that this would be written for The Billiard Congress of America?
JoeyA

MikeJanis

Banned
JoeyA said:
Is the governing body, that this would be written for The Billiard Congress of America?
JoeyA

Joey, I don't think it would apply to any 1 specific body. If you write the book with due dilligence I am sure that every professional player and organization would adopt it or a form of it.

You would be writing this as a service to all man/woman kind that plays pool.

Mj

JoeyA

Silver Member
MikeJanis said:
Joey, I don't think it would apply to any 1 specific body. If you write the book with due dilligence I am sure that every professional player and organization would adopt it or a form of it.

You would be writing this as a service to all man/woman kind that plays pool.

Mj

It's already in the works.
JoeyA

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
That's What I'm Known For.... My THINKING

JoeyA said:
It's already in the works.
JoeyA

Well, don't forget to include some bad language and SEX....that always sells. (imo)
Doug
( and remember to Autograph it ) :)

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
What I'm saying is.....

SJDinPHX said:
What are you saying ? No tax money= O $ No cigs = O $ Profit for
tobacco industry........What money?...Where?....Huh?

What I'm saying is that the lack of money being spent on cigarettes doesn't mean the money is gone. The people who would have been spending it on cigarettes would be spending it on other things. Those other thongs (oops freudian slip, J.k. typing slip) area part of the economy, ergo, there is no economic backlash from a lack of tobacco. Sure, there might not be as high taxes on those other things, but IMO the economy is better off with the money not going directly to taxes, but instead going into businesses and people's pockets rather than the antithesis of frugality that is the government. All of the things that people spend money on are a part of the economy. The only way that it could have an affect on our economy is if the majority of the money is spent on items developed outside of the US, but that is the fault of our government not raising tariffs on imports to protect American businesses and is outside the scope of this discussion.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jaden said:
What I'm saying is that the lack of money being spent on cigarettes doesn't mean the money is gone. The people who would have been spending it on cigarettes would be spending it on other things. Those other thongs (oops freudian slip, J.k. typing slip) area part of the economy, ergo, there is no economic backlash from a lack of tobacco. Sure, there might not be as high taxes on those other things, but IMO the economy is better off with the money not going directly to taxes, but instead going into businesses and people's pockets rather than the antithesis of frugality that is the government. All of the things that people spend money on are a part of the economy. The only way that it could have an affect on our economy is if the majority of the money is spent on items developed outside of the US, but that is the fault of our government not raising tariffs on imports to protect American businesses and is outside the scope of this discussion.
I see what you're saying Jaden. My point is that cigs and liquor are so
heavily taxed that an immediate cessation of that revenue would leave
our brain (sic) trust in Washington scrambling to replace said funds.
Which means that they would have to impose heavier taxes on
things maybe like THONGS etc. ha ha

Last edited:

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I disagree.

Scottster said:
is unsalvageable in my lifetime. (I am 33).

I do think that it is difficult to savlage and that it would take several conjunctive occurrences to do, but it is possible.

I personally feel there are a couple of ways to salvage or CREATE professional pool in America. What we need is a catalyst that will drive interest in pool and learning the advanced concepts of pool. I think that the best thing for longer term driving of public interest is a night time drama or comedy centered around a pool hall. Ala, Friends or Beverly Hills 90210. I think that a drama would be better and that a drama would have elements that would draw lots of people and like friends affects on viewers interest in meeting up at coffee houses, a drama focused in a pool hall would draw viewers to want to go to pool halls.

If there were little references to advanced knowledge and the thought that goes into advanced pool, it would also drive viewers to want to learn about pool as well. This would in turn have to coincide with an attempt at a nationwide tour with guest appearances from top performers on the show, as either road players that come in and trounce on one of the stars, etc. I could come up with so many storylines as I'm sure a lot of us could to drive a show like this for years.

The other thing I see as being able to bring pool back is a reality show. The problem with it is how do they determine what the prize would be and if it's money, you're going to see huslters and pro's wanting to get in on it, but maybe that's ok. I mean, the comedians on that top comedian reality show in many cases were professional comics, in fact I think all of them were. It's just a way to determine who the best one was as determined by VOTING, not winning. It also would give the general public a chance to get to know the characters and learn to like or dislike them. If the pros are competing in it and then they are later competing on TV, the public would have that personal connection and their choices of who to root for that I think is missing from pool on tv now. Sure those of us who watch have our favorites for various reasons, but a lot of the time we already have personal connections with them from either knowing them personally or having made or lost money on them betting from the rail.

Sorry for the long dissertation here,I just have mentioned the night time drama thing before with lack luster response and thought that I would be better off explaining it out a little further this time.