Probably pool is not for me

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Lower your expectations of yourself.

I know, there is something to be said about pushing yourself to the limit.

But, if you can't handle that, realize that no one is perfect and neither are you. Have fun with whatever ability you do have.

I wanted to join the air force and fly. As fate would have it, it wasn't in the stars. Does that mean I can't learn to fly? I did the ground school and promptly broke my leg in 4 places and spent my plane rental money on living expense.

I spent some of my money on building and flying RC airplanes.

There is a way around everything Bud.

Just have to find your own little Happy Place.

PS - How much do you want for your cues? J/K.

Last edited:

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
After another very poor performance I realized pool is probably not for me.
We know that you need great focus and confidence to play at a high level but I'm not a very confident person in the everyday life. When I'm at the table I don't feel focused and confident but I'm most of the time "scared" of missing shots. This obviously leads to missing sitters. I tried for a long time to focus and to think positevely when I'm at the table but without help. I'm tired and disappointed my game has not progressed, instead is stuck to a bad/mediocre level.

You mentioned the word "Scared" but never indicated what exactly YOU are scared of and why you have so much fear???

How could you LOSE when you are doing something you enjoy??? Only you can define why you are there playing???

It just seems to me that you put yourself in competition on purpose and not for the right reasons. Do it because of enjoyment not bragging rights. One thing about pool players is we are all ego-maniacs!!!

Because I'm a competitive person I can't stand playing badly and I reached the point where pool is not fun anymore instead is source of stress and disappointment. I decided to take an indefinite hiatus from the game... I still love the game and I'll probably play from time to time, but I'm not sure if I will play the game seriously again,almost surely I will but I'm not sure when.
Someone found himself in the same situation?

Just some thoughts on the situation. Above in Blue!!!

KD

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We know that you need great focus and confidence to play at a high level but I'm not a very confident person in the everyday life. When I'm at the table I don't feel focused and confident but I'm most of the time "scared" of missing shots. This obviously leads to missing sitters. I tried for a long time to focus and to think positevely when I'm at the table but without help. I'm tired and disappointed my game has not progressed, instead is stuck to a bad/mediocre level.
Because I'm a competitive person I can't stand playing badly and I reached the point where pool is not fun anymore instead is source of stress and disappointment. I decided to take an indefinite hiatus from the game... I still love the game and I'll probably play from time to time, but I'm not sure if I will play the game seriously again,almost surely I will but I'm not sure when.

Ya as a matter of fact I have many many times , See a sports shrink is all I can tell you , then go see a teacher if your lacking in skill ,, but get that head straight and the value of the teacher will go up 10 fold

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is hard, if it was easy everyone would be a champion. some times you lose and the next time you match up you have to dig deep to win, but thats what it takes to be a winner. Heart, some got it others dont. And the word "heart" should appear more on AZB but it dont. wonder why:confused:

JuicyGirl

Scroll Lock- Juicy Style
Silver Member
Wow! Yes! This year was my hardest. are you having panic attacks. I was it got so bad, I actually broke down in tears one night. Since then worked up some energy to try harder. Keeping focus is not easy it can be exhausting. I agree brain exercises are the best for pool. Solving problems and building strategies is hard.

Take a break from it all. Get an instructor and a couple of good books and start again refreshed.

Chin up
Loren

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't even think about golf!

Think about what a good choice you made for your career and that you chose pool for "enjoyment". I remind myself of the same often.

Just enjoy your time at the table.

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No, I haven't felt sorry for myself in a long time.

You say you are competitive, but you sound like a quitter. You aren't good, so you decide you aren't going to get better, which means you have to quit.

I bet that philosophy will lead to a VERY fulfilling life.

Just think about all the great stories you'll have to tell your grandkids--they will all end with '...but I wasn't good, so I quit trying.'

dld
You ought to go to work at a suicide help,line

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Any game I play, my objective is to have fun. I like winning obviously, but losing doesn't bother me as long as the game is fun. The game can be fun by YOU controlling what kind of people are around you playing. Play on a team of fun-loving people in a fun-loving league and quit rating the experience on the winning versus losing aspect of your game.

Play for fun. Make it your goal to have fun. Surround yourself with others who do the same.

Maniac

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
Suggestions for OP......

#1-Practice as much as possible by yourself, get familiar with your strong ,and weak points...
#2-Be sure when you're at the table ,all your mechanics are in order..
#3-It's not so much who you're playing in tourney or league, as it is how you're playing. You must always remember its you vs the balls,
nothing more or less. Block everyone, and everything out, and emerge into the pool table, concentrate on the task at hand which is pocketing ,and setting, if a shot leaves you to uncomfortable play defense if possible , otherwise its all mechanics and execution...

Last but not least,,a defeated attitude will only yield defeat,, have confidence in yourself, but keep in mind confidence can only come with knowledge of the game , and yourself ..

1st you must believe you can achieve, make no mistake pool is only fun when the games going your way.. You must force the game your way, as oppose to waiting for scraps, it's alot of work, and practice, You must be willing to put forth a substantial effort to become a better player..

Remember Its you vs the table, at that point in time make everthing and everyone else non existent !!!!!!!

Good luck to ya......... :cool:

Last edited:

8onthebreak

THE WORLD IS YOURS
Silver Member
Get into a league

Get into a handicapped league and surround yourself with supportive team-mates. Choose a lower skill league that will enable you to grow your confidence as you beat these lower players.

Find a COACH, someone to help you that cares about you. You'll be surprised at how a great player will respond if you ask them to be your coach!!!

I'm guessing that you play tourneys or with people much better that enjoy crushing you, if so, stop feeding them. You need to be winning at least 50% of the time otherwise you are losing confidence instead of gaining it. Yes u can learn from them, but not worth it if at the expense of fun and confidence.

Good luck...ps, pool has helped me thru many facets of life, and I wouldn't give it up for the world. Stick with it. Many people wish they had a hobby they enjoy....

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To everybody who thinks I was too harsh on this guy,

I grew up in a household where I wasn't allowed to quit anything. I had a father who would turn red screaming at me when I would complain about not being good. When I would say I was going to quit he would almost get violent.

I had a few teachers who noticed when I didn't apply myself if things got a little bit hard. Several times they called me into one-on-one meetings to tell me, in much nicer, ways the same things my father told me. The rest of my teachers were impressed enough by my effort (or, as was more usual, my lack thereof). Of my teachers in HS and my professors in college, those few are the ones I remember.

None of them mollycoddled me and it was the best gift anyone has ever given me.

This touchy-feely world in which we now live makes me sick. People don't get ahead by being told they are good when they aren't. People want to give up when things become difficult and they want high praise when they are mediocre. Our world lets them do the former and gives them the latter.

So, yes, I will be harsh when someone comes on with his 'woe is me' story. Be a man and realize that character is not defined by doing what is easy. Character is when a guy gets kicked in the teeth multiple times and smiles a bloody toothless smile before getting kicked again.

dld

Right cause there's one right answer to everything for everyone:rolleyes: Then you find it necessary to assume his life sucks and he's a bad grandfather.

To the OP, if you aren't enjoying it then you should take a break. Ignore people who call you a quitter or whatever. What's the point of spending time doing something you're supposed to enjoy and making you miserable? I would say try going back over fundamentals, watching videos, etc to find the problem before taking a break though.

Good Luck

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"I'm most of the time "scared" of missing shots."

Here is a big opportunity to improve your game. Focus on fixing this.
It's actually pretty simple.
Don't shoot the shot until you feel like there is no way you're going to miss.
If it's taking you an uncomfortable amount of time to get that feeling, then find a shot that you do feel confident about.
Maybe playing more safeties will help you with this fear of missing shots.

What type of billiard game are you playing in Italy?

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I grew up in a household where I wasn't allowed to quit anything. I had a father who would turn red screaming at me when I would complain about not being good. When I would say I was going to quit he would almost get violent.

I had a few teachers who noticed when I didn't apply myself if things got a little bit hard. Several times they called me into one-on-one meetings to tell me, in much nicer, ways the same things my father told me. The rest of my teachers were impressed enough by my effort (or, as was more usual, my lack thereof). Of my teachers in HS and my professors in college, those few are the ones I remember.

This touchy-feely world in which we now live makes me sick. People don't get ahead by being told they are good when they aren't. People want to give up when things become difficult and they want high praise when they are mediocre. Our world lets them do the former and gives them the latter.

So, yes, I will be harsh when someone comes on with his 'woe is me' story. Be a man and realize that character is not defined by doing what is easy. Character is when a guy gets kicked in the teeth multiple times and smiles a bloody toothless smile before getting kicked again.

dld

I hear where you're coming from, but...we have no idea where this guy in Italy is coming from.

Maybe his father took a pipe to him everytime he screwed up.
Do you think you would grow up to be such a tough guy, if your dad beat you within an inch of your life every time you made a mistake?

Character is when a guy gets kicked in the teeth multiple times and smiles a bloody toothless smile before getting kicked again.

What character is this? The village idiot?

Somebody kicks me in the teeth, and I'm going to spit my blood and teeth in his eyes and make'em go blind.

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking at this differently than most ...

Pool is not for everyone, and might not be for you also. People with a competitive personality but weak skills will have difficulties playing this game, and will only make themselves miserable. Why go through with that?

I think most of us have figured out we aren't going on the tour any time soon but still find pleasure in shooting pool. I find it to be a great way to escape my thoughts of work, bills and other life pressures. If this isn't in the cards for you, might as well pull up.

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If purpose of your thread was to get some ideas of how to improve faster and be more satisfied (less misses, more wins etc.) I would suggest that you find an instructor, if you have money, if not I would recommend a SEE aiming system from Ekkes with training program, it cost less but you get almost the same amount of info and great support from the man..thats my 2c.

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Your level of play and your confidence level usually go along with how much time you devote to practice and playing in pressure situations. The choice is an individual one. The things you describe happen to most, but they are overcome, if you want to stay at it, with experience and practice. My advice is to compete with others at your skill level so the negative thoughts and feelings are minimized. Move up when you feel ready.

banged up

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing wrong with finding something else to get into as far as I'm concerned.
Pool is NOT a you get as much out of it as you put into it proposition as far as I am concerned some have a knack for it and progress quickly and other spend just as much effort/time and don't get near the results.

I spent 10 yrs religiously on the game got lessons etc put in the hours and never was more than mediocre and saw people in a year or two pass me by. It is what it is. But pool is not the only thing in the world to do so try something else and if pools pulls you back in then give it hell!!!

P.S. Double d i think should go fight MMA get his teeth kicked in every time for three or four years then come back and preach some more to us.

Last edited:

TheThaiger

Banned

dld

Damn right. I don't know if you're still in the UK or not, but you can't have avoided the Para Olympics if you are. Very humbling, and required viewing for anyone feeling sorry for themselves. Truly inspiring.

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I felt the same way as the OP when I first started playing pool.

After a certain point in most player's growth they have to focus on the mental aspect of pool. Instead of looking at and accepting the fact that you aren't confident in yourself use pool as a tool. Use pool as a way to build confidence. The difference with pool as compared to reality is the balls never lie. If you hit them incorrectly they wont go where you want them to. If you hit it correctly it will go exactly where you want it to go.

About a year after I started playing pool I realized that in order to further progress in my game I needed to conquer the mental aspect of the sport. It took me about a year of intense hard work to be able to play on a consistent level no matter the pressure and you need to train your mind to be able to handle it.

The thing with pool is that when you are down on a ball nothing else exists. You need to learn how to clear your mind of all distractions and just focus on getting that ball in the hole. There is a certain peace to a game when you are surrounded by people watching your every move or there is huge pressure on the line. If you can find that peace within yourself you will have a much easier time of it.

Pool is not an easy sport. There is a ton to learn about and there is no way to focus and do it all as a beginner. Even if I do one thing differently in my pre-shot routine I will probably miss a shot. If my bridge hand is one inch farther or closer to a shot than it should be I will not get the exact leave I intended.

High-level pool is a sport based in body mechanics, muscle memory, and mental focus. In order to grow all three aspects of your game you need to focus on each one independently. Each one takes a long time to master and many never put in the time to do it fully.

If you go down the path of becoming a master of billiards just know that you will never know everything about the game. There is always something else to learn and as long as you keep your mind open, you will always get better every time you pick up that stick.