Public figures and professional pool

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Being on-call 24/7/365 kind of makes it hard to play for hours at a time regularly.
And then there is that continuous learning thing about remaining "up to date" in the field of medicine.
And finally, they have better things to do with their hands than hang out in bars, drinking all night and playing pool.
Yeah I was being facetious.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just remember an interview I saw with Jerry Orbach where you talked about playing pool in New York. He mentioned all of the crazy characters that he knew and out of nowhere he says yeah one of them this guy Poncho was really something.

I'm assuming it was probably the Poncho we all know or knew. I remember Poncho talking about a lot of the actors he used to play pool with in New York.
I always wondered about a 'Poncho' i knew in 94 or so. He was a fat swarthy looking guy who played 'A' speed or above back then. Hanging out w actors does not sound like him though.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great story about Jackie in Willie Masconi s book "Willies game" about Jackie playing Willie. Toots introduced Willie to Jackie as a travelling coat salesman. They played a set to 100 for $50, Willie won, played a 2nd set to 100 for $100, Willie ran 70 right handd and the last 30 left handed. Willie recommended Jackie cor the part of Minnesota Fats. Great read, I recommend it.
Willie kept the $$?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just remember an interview I saw with Jerry Orbach where you talked about playing pool in New York. He mentioned all of the crazy characters that he knew and out of nowhere he says yeah one of them this guy Poncho was really something.

I'm assuming it was probably the Poncho we all know or knew. I remember Poncho talking about a lot of the actors he used to play pool with in New York.
EVERYONE knew Poncho! Probably one of Pool's most notorious hustlers of all time. He was a low A speed player who could talk A++ speed. If you listened to him long enough he could make you believe that dogs can fly!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
EVERYONE knew Poncho! Probably one of Pool's most notorious hustlers of all time. He was a low A speed player who could talk A++ speed. If you listened to him long enough he could make you believe that dogs can fly!
To my recollection, Poncho had a 125 ball run to his credit. Pretty capable.

OverTheNut

Peter Falk “Columbo” could play as well
There's a few episodes of Columbo where he hits some pool balls. Thought at the time that he wasn't *that* bad actually.

A pro-am pool tournament would be great. Eight 2 person teams. 1 pro and 1 celeb. 9 ball. Alternate shots. Randomly drawn bracket. Race to 3. Whole tournament could be done in an evening.

I'm sure there's plenty of current & former sports people out there who can play 'a bit'. That's all you'd need. Surely Peyton & Eli Manning can pot a few balls for starters.

I'd watch it anyway.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's a few episodes of Columbo where he hits some pool balls. Thought at the time that he wasn't *that* bad actually.

A pro-am pool tournament would be great. Eight 2 person teams. 1 pro and 1 celeb. 9 ball. Alternate shots. Randomly drawn bracket. Race to 3. Whole tournament could be done in an evening.

I'm sure there's plenty of current & former sports people out there who can play 'a bit'. That's all you'd need. Surely Peyton & Eli Manning can pot a few balls for starters.

I'd watch it anyway.
He had a GC in his house. I saw pics of it. Red cloth iirc. I know where the house is, I’ve never been in it. It’s on Roxbury Dr in Beverly Hills on the 1000 Block. It’s my favorite part of BH. 😍😍 His house is worth 22-25M now I’d guess.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
He had a GC in his house. I saw pics of it. Red cloth iirc. I know where the house is, I’ve never been in it. It’s on Roxbury Dr in Beverly Hills on the 1000 Block. It’s my favorite part of BH. 😍😍 His house is worth 22-25M now I’d guess.
His home is readily available public record and linked below if anyone is curious to take a look. Value estimates range widely between roughly 4 and 16 million depending on the site.

Earlier in the thread Jay talked about Phil Spector. His last home, purchased in 1998, also had a pool table in it that can be seen at the link below. But my understanding is that is it exceptionally common for houses of these type to have a pool table whether the owners play or not because it is a quintessential decor and statement piece and to a lesser extent in the off chance a guest you are entertaining or guests at your party want to play. Most of these tables probably don't even see an hour of play a year, and Peter's probably didn't even see more than 10 a year although you never know.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s worth 20M on the low, I’ve lived in Beverly Hills since 93. The land value is 18, the structure is the least expensive part. 1000 n Roxbury next door was Lucy Balls house.

I sold my house 704 N Arden 90210 for 12.7 last year. I turned down 15 for it in 2016🤯🤯 boy was I a idiot.

I know BH property real well,

Thinking about it. Maybe Spector had the red GC.

The pissed off guy Don Rickels had a Centennal or anniversary in his house, I saw a pic of that in a Beverly Hills magazine cover in 94.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
1000 n Roxbury next door was Lucy Balls house.
Lucille's old home is one over from next door, corner house, and Falk's is third house. The old Ball house and grounds have been replaced or extensively redone. Whoever lives in between those two houses, at 1002 N. Roxbury, has chosen to have their home blurred on google maps street view. Used to be Jack Benny's house, but I'm curious who owns it now and had it blurred.

For anyone curious, here are some of the other famous people who have lived on this same street.

Thinking about it. Maybe Spector had the red GC.
The table in Phil's house at the time of the home listing can be seen in the link I posted before, just scroll down the page just past half way to see what it looked like. Definitely not a gold crown, but that doesn't mean he couldn't have had one in another room, or he could have had a gold crown as a previous table. For that matter, while it isn't super likely, the one in the listing could just be a staging piece not even owned by Phil that the agent had put in there to replace his "ugly" table to make the home better staged for appealing sale.

Last edited:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I heard some story sometime about Michael Jordan getting mad at someone for beating him on the table. Apparently he’s got skills and doesn’t like to lose.

I’ve also heard Jazzyjeff is an extreme pool fan and player of the great game. If we could get that guy to play in front of the plebs we would turn pool around in a heartbeat.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I don't think having some person known for their acting, singing or dancing show up in a Pro tournament elevates the sport any more than having Charles Barkley sing at the Grammy Awards would elevate the music industry.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lucille's old home is one over from next door, corner house, and Falk's is third house. The old Ball house and grounds have been replaced or extensively redone. Whoever lives in between those two houses, at 1002 N. Roxbury, has chosen to have their home blurred on google maps street view. Used to be Jack Benny's house, but I'm curious who owns it now and had it blurred.

For anyone curious, here are some of the other famous people who have lived on this same street.

The table in Phil's house at the time of the home listing can be seen in the link I posted before, just scroll down the page just past half way to see what it looked like. Definitely not a gold crown, but that doesn't mean he couldn't have had one in another room, or he could have had a gold crown as a previous table. For that matter, while it isn't super likely, the one in the listing could just be a staging piece not even owned by Phil that the agent had put in there to replace his "ugly" table to make the home better staged for appealing sale.
The is no house between Faulk & Lucy. The numbers on the east side of the streets in the “Flats” are even, west is odd. They skip numbers idk why. Also each block goes up 100. The 500 block is the least expensive to the 1000 block the most expensive

In recent years that’s changed some, when BH was built out the block thing was a big status symbol and the prices on each higher block got bigger-significantly. Now in the last 10 years there are a few $30M houses on the 500 block.

When you drive up and down the ~26 streets in the Flats it’s clear the the lot sizes get bigger each block and houses(not so much now with rebuilt houses).

Also not all streets are created equal Maple, Elm, Sierra, Arden are among the more desirable streets to live on(less traffic, type of trees-each street has its own type of tree which are City property). Rodeo, Beverly, Canon, Crescent are notably famous as they were the first 4 residential streets in the South Flats which I think were built out in 1915-I’m guessing.

So Faulk’s house on the 1000 block is a monster. Like a 8 pt Gus with not many inlays. He had the best block and Roxbury north of Sunset is amazing, south of Sunset Roxbury is average. But he didn’t have a huge lot.

Originally north of Sunset BL was built for the 20 acre estate mansions. All that’s over with at $20M/acre on average. A few of those old mansions are left but they have since sold off the land to build 1-3 acre mansions that are worth 40-80M give or take. The land value isn’t linear and drops slightly from 20/acre as you get bigger.

I’ll end here, I could keep going for a long time on this. I’m a expert on Beverly Hills, I lived there from 93-19. Yes the whole time I was in Vegas old Fatboy had him a spot in Beverly Hills.

Sadly since the riot and the useless BHPD that’s there, BH is toast. It’s a crime scene everyday, don’t wear your $100,000 watch and leave the Rolls at home. It’s a mess, shame.

My last house in Beverly Hills I sold a year or so ago, I can’t remember was

704 N Arden Dr
Beverly Hills Ca 90210

Celebrity Lifestyles Group was the LLC that I owned which the house was titled to, search that if you don’t believe me. Then my name will appear. I sold for 12.7, turned down 15M. Market is soft in BH now, don’t know if it will ever come back.

Peter, Lucy, Hef(Playboy) all lived there when it was its golden era. Hef lived a mile away in Holmby Hills(the best area-period).

Best,
Fatboy a displaced refugee now 😞😞

DeeDeeCues

I don't think having some person known for their acting, singing or dancing show up in a Pro tournament elevates the sport any more than having Charles Barkley sing at the Grammy Awards would elevate the music industry.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Really? You don't think celebrity endorsements sell products?

You don't think having TMZ follow Kim Kardashian's ugly ass into a pool tourney would increase viewership?