Queens Gambit - Netflix

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm on episode 3. I would not have given it a second thought except for this thread and that Tevis wrote it. Thanks all!

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Another Look takes on Walter Tevis’s “Queen’s Gambit.” And the author’s son remembers playing chess with dad.​

read at link:

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Binged the entire series today. Was a great and fast watch.

monsterdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly had low expectations at the start but OH MY... Best show on Netflix atm. Finished the whole series in 2 days. So good. You don't need to be a chess player to enjoy this movie. Anya Taylor-Joy killed it man. Will definitely watch again.

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been watching it with my GF on nights when we're both home. We both really like it.
It's kinda fun stretching it out over a a few nights. Believe it or not, it was her suggestion, and when she mentioned that it's one we should start watching, I remembered seeing positive comments about it here.
Great show!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spoiler alert:
Do you guys think she defected to Russia on the last episode? Does the book give more information on that?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spoiler alert:
Do you guys think she defected to Russia on the last episode? Does the book give more information on that?
I know nothing about chess, but I don’t understand the concept that in a world championship chess match apparently either player is allowed, in the middle of the game, to adjourn and suspend the game until the following day. And then, based on how the board is laid out at that moment, they can consult with their fellow colleagues/experts to determine various game strategies going forward from that point in the game, starting the next day. It was quite obvious both sides were doing exactly that and it just doesn’t sit right with me.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know nothing about chess, but I don’t understand the concept that in a world championship chess match apparently either player is allowed, in the middle of the game, to adjourn and suspend the game until the following day. And then, based on how the board is laid out at that moment, they can consult with their fellow colleagues/experts to determine various game strategies going forward from that point in the game, starting the next day. It was quite obvious both sides were doing exactly that and it just doesn’t seem right to me.
Yeah. I was surprised at that also. I’ve only played chess at the banger level.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know nothing about chess, but I don’t understand the concept that in a world championship chess match apparently either player is allowed, in the middle of the game, to adjourn and suspend the game until the following day. And then, based on how the board is laid out at that moment, they can consult with their fellow colleagues/experts to determine various game strategies going forward from that point in the game, starting the next day. It was quite obvious both sides were doing exactly that and it just doesn’t seem right to me.
Under "classical time control" the players have a fixed length of time to play 40 moves each. The 40th move for the player with the black pieces is sealed in an envelope until the game is resumed the next day. There is a lot of calculation overnight.

Many games now are played with much shorter times, often under five minutes per player for the entire game. Typically there is a few minutes of time plus an increment for each move of a few seconds. There are lots of on-line tournaments with very rapid games.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As Earl would say, it is good not great. Imdb almost 9 and RT 100% rating is overrating this series (But not as overrated as Breaking Bad). Basically a predictable linear storyline. Maybe lot of folks rave about it cos they are tired of unpredictable countless twists and turns in most series these days (which is I like). I tot her eyes were photoshopped in poster like Alita but turned out they were real :D
alitcps.jpg

Spoiler alert:
Was expecting some kind of twist at end - Beth infiltrating Russia as asset for CIA (since she had that CIA handler following /protecting her) or Borgov defecting to US. Would have love a genre switch to extend the series from drama in season 1 to spy thriller in season 2 but unfortunately this is a family friendly drama so only 1 season . After all they did keep saying that there is more to life than chess so she could be superstar spy post-chess

Under "classical time control" the players have a fixed length of time to play 40 moves each. The 40th move for the player with the black pieces is sealed in an envelope until the game is resumed the next day. There is a lot of calculation overnight.

Many games now are played with much shorter times, often under five minutes per player for the entire game. Typically there is a few minutes of time plus an increment for each move of a few seconds. There are lots of on-line tournaments with very rapid games.
I think you mean short format like rapid , blitz chess. But classical format is still true test of skill and used in major tournaments like World Championship :)
I know nothing about chess, but I don’t understand the concept that in a world championship chess match apparently either player is allowed, in the middle of the game, to adjourn and suspend the game until the following day. And then, based on how the board is laid out at that moment, they can consult with their fellow colleagues/experts to determine various game strategies going forward from that point in the game, starting the next day. It was quite obvious both sides were doing exactly that and it just doesn’t sit right with me.

That match was not world championship match, it was invitational in Moscow. Yes, adjournment allow help/assistance from teams of chess experts/ chess software which is why World Chess Championship has stopped practice of adjournment for past few decades

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm watching season 4 of The Crown on Netflix. It's the life of Queen Elizabeth.

Anybody else?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm watching season 4 of The Crown on Netflix. It's the life of Queen Elizabeth.

Anybody else?
Yup, I've already watched all 10 episodes of Season 4. Excellent stuff. The lady who plays Margaret Thatcher gives a magnificent performance. Season 4 covers 1979-90. I was surprised by the omission of a couple of very important historical events of the period, but I won't spoil it for you.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I enjoyed seeing the level of etiquette and respect exhibited between the players playing at that level. The only exception was when she was getting beaten by that much younger Eastern European child prodigy at a big tournament, at which time she desperately pulled out every sharking tactic in the book to try to throw him off. As likable as a character as she was throughout, that was only incident she ever showed disrespect for her opponent and for the game, as she was so obsessively driven by her desire to win.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those of you who are also chess players, here are two games that appear in the series analyzed by my favorite chess commentator. He also tells which real games these games were based on and gives some other chess-nerd details about the games.

Agadmator is my favorite also ! I don't know what level Tevis played pool at, but I read somewhere he was about 1450 at chess.
That meant he played well enough to beat most jail house players, but very few people who really studied the game.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Harmon was an E4 player normally but played D 4 Queens pawn against the world champion. Another player in that time period always opened with E4 but when playing another world champion , played the queen pawn ,
1. Anybody have a guess who that was?
2. I think they played the d4 opening for different reasons, anybody care to speculate why each of them played the opening?
I'm not positive , just a guess and curious what others think.

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haven’t seen it mentioned here yet, but the music is great, really brings back some memories. And that Corvair in the last episode, gorgeous, never really thought much of those cars but that one is one good looking ride.