Ralf Forfeits!???

ipoppa33

Shakedown Custom Rods
Silver Member
IF this is the way it spun out, the tournament director should have never thrown it to Corey to make the call in the first place, because A; it shouldn't be Corey's call it's the TD's call and; B exactly because it puts Corey in a bad spot.

The TD should have the cojones to make this call without consulting the opponent. The rules is the rules and we need more solid enforcement, not player coddling.

Lou Figueroa

Tap Tap Tap

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't know why Corey would have been made or asked to decide. The TD should have made the call and stuck to it. End of story.

Ray

Ps. Wrote post at same time as one above. :shocked:

Captain K.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know why Corey would have been made or asked to decide. The TD should have made the call and stuck to it. End of story.

Ray

Correct, ruling is up to the TD not the player.

Glad Mr. Souquet is ok, he is a great player and a top ambassador to the sport.

Last edited:

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What if you waited and found out after there was no car accident? Ralf wouldnt do it but u can bet your butt others would lie their ass off trying to stay in the tournament!

You answered your own question. You said Ralf wouldn't lie, so why would you have a reason to question it? You can't go through life painting broad strokes. Every situation is different, just as every person is. In this situation, I wait.

jersey jer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IF this is the way it spun out, the tournament director should have never thrown it to Corey to make the call in the first place, because A; it shouldn't be Corey's call it's the TD's call and; B exactly because it puts Corey in a bad spot.

The TD should have the cojones to make this call without consulting the opponent. The rules is the rules and we need more solid enforcement, not player coddling.

Lou Figueroa

damn straight

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

That makes a lot of sense, and I agree.

But since the decision was given to Corey, I think he did what any sensible pool player would have done. (assuming that pool players want to win tournaments)

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I agree it is unfair that Corey should have been brought in on the decision to begin with. I also don't think the TD should use discretion based on the reason for being late since this just opens a can of worms and can only lead to problems. Ralf brought this on himself by cutting it so close that a fender bender or traffic even, could make him late for his match. He should have been in the practice room 90 minutes before his start time.

Kudos to Mark Griffin and crew for adhering to the rules and exhibiting professional standards. Only don't ask for a waiver from the opponent, just make the ruling.

UrackmIcrackm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You answered your own question. You said Ralf wouldn't lie, so why would you have a reason to question it? You can't go through life painting broad strokes. Every situation is different, just as every person is. In this situation, I wait.

Easy to say from where you're sitting. Put yourself in the players shoes and I think you might have a different answer. Being a pro pool player is feast or famine. People have been known to do under-handed things to get ahead so when the occasion arises to get one more step ahead within the rules, you can bet they're going to take it and there is nothing wrong with that. It is a competition that is not for a bleeding heart type of person. Only the strong survive, the bleeding hearts will starve in the pro pool environment.

Sadly, we shouldn't even be discussing this because as it has already been stated, the TD should have made the decision. The decision should not have been put on Corey's shoulders.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He came in a hurry into the tournament room but he was 19 minutes late.:cool:

I vaguely remember about the a thing that happened in the olympics more than 20 years ago.USA`s 200 meter sprinter could not be at the starting blocks on time because the public transportaion Bus he was travelling in was caught in a traffic jam.The 200 meter race did not wait for this dude and the others ran without this dude.:cool:

8&snap

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

Lou, it may have crossed the tourn. directors mind that he had to make the call in coreys favor & was giving corey the option so he didnt have to call a forfet on R.S.If i got to make a hard line call & know its not the opposing players fault i"ll look for a option to try & save face & corey may have been the td way to save face but to no avail(just a thought, tring to give the TD the benefit of the doubt)

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
Pool and its players are such an unusual sport. About the only thing that doesn't change over time is the inconsistancy of the rules, playres, promoters and fans.

Pool matches start when the players show up, if they are not ready to lag within the alloted time, they forfiet the match. OR, .....

IMO a TD would only be acting on a promoter's orders to reschedule a match because of a player's faultless reason for being late. Promoters want the fans to see a good match as promised. If the match can be rescheduled for a certain time it should be decided by the promoter and no one else.

The reason Corey showed up at the appointed time was he was told to, If the time changes, he will be told of the next match time. Simple as that.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The question is, "Did Ralf call to notify anyone of his situation?" If not, the forfeit should probably stand. Something so small as a phone call might have changed everything. Ralf could have called someone (a player) who could then notify the TD of the situation and the match could have been halted, allowing him time to get there. Without that information the TD's hands are tied. If it were me, and I know that a player was delayed because of an accident, I would tell his opponent that I'm delaying the match. If I heard nothing from anybody and the player (anyone) was fifteen to twenty minutes late, then the forfeit would stand.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think it's more about principle with Corey...wasn't that long ago that Charlie forfeited him in a tourney that he felt he shouldn't have been forfeited cuz he checked bracket before he left for night & time was changed for next day match...I think that was what happened...So I imagine it's his way of saying rules are rules.

I think this post is the bottom line.
Corey was forfeited under much worse circumstances...
..his match was changed after he checked...
..that was the time he threw a punch at CW.
He had showed well before the time posted.

Why should he take the worst of it both ways?

gumby

Registered
I was across the room from the match. I did see both the TD and Corey on the phone. I'm not sure who it was with nor what for.

When the matches started, Corey was told to wait a little longer and was given one game on the wire. As Corey continued to wait for Ralf, Corey got more games on the wire. Eventually it was considered a forfeit. Literally 10 seconds later I see Ralf running by everyone to get to the table. TD informed him of the result and now it is what it is.

mymosconi

Registered
Ralf Forfeits....

Corey was ready to play his scheduled match on time. Any "professional" player in any sport will take the win anyway they can. This is their job and it's not easy to move out to the end of the bracket, I don't care who you are. Maybe Ralf should have asked the police dept. if he could come back after his match to finish the paperwork huh? Corey was doing the right thing and I am sure he feels bad for Ralf but that's pool! Better luck next time Ralf and I hope you are ok.