Rank by High Run

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
If you knew nothing about a player, other than his high run in Straight Pool, how would you rank him (Pro, Shortstop, A, B, C, D)?

Let's say his high run is:
50 - ?
100 - ?
150 - ?
200 - ?

[EDIT: Let's assume the run was on a 9-foot table with medium-tight pockets.]

Last edited:

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Ok I will just take a blind guess here and then see how those who have played alot more straight pool than me will rate these milestones.

14.1 High runs:

50 -- Serious Amateur (B)
100 -- Advanced Student of the Game (A)
150 -- Aspiring Pro (A+)
200 -- Pro with potential to be top pro or World beater.

Ok now you can tell me how far off I am with my assessment. :)

I am looking forward to how others rate these milestones.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Levels

Here is my opinion on skill levels in 14.1

14.1 High runs:

50 -- Serious Amateur (A)
100 -- Advanced Student of the Game (A+)
150 -- Aspiring Pro (A++)

sausage

Banned
well, i have run 84 balls but still feel like a 14.1 clutz. what isn't taken into consideration in the post above however is the most important aspect of the game; consistency. i think that a player who runs 40 balls almost every chance at bat is more 'dangerous' than a player who runs 150 balls every year. as we all know, the player with the highest run doesn't always win the match.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Agree

well, i have run 84 balls but still feel like a 14.1 clutz. what isn't taken into consideration in the post above however is the most important aspect of the game; consistency. i think that a player who runs 40 balls almost every chance at bat is more 'dangerous' than a player who runs 150 balls every year. as we all know, the player with the highest run doesn't always win the match.

Yes I agree and I made that point about the player with the high run in a tournament most of the time does not win it a week or so ago along with consistency.
When I stated my skill level ranking above. I had in mind a player with a
high run of 50 But runs 35-45 balls on a consistency and not just once a year and so on with the other levels.
I have to remember when I write something not to take anything for granted and must cover every aspect of the sentence.

sausage

Banned
I have to remember when I write something not to take anything for granted and must cover every aspect of the sentence.

straightman; it was not my intention to 'challenge' your post. you are certainly enough accomplished to understand the 14.1 consistency factor.

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play a fair amount of straight pool. I am ranked C+ and my high run is 29. I see very few runs in the 30s. Maybe we just don't have many good players around here.

Dave Nelson

john schmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

Ok I will just take a blind guess here and then see how those who have played alot more straight pool than me will rate these milestones.

14.1 High runs:

150 -- Aspiring Pro (A+)

Ok now you can tell me how far off I am with my assessment. :)

to me off the top of my head that looks about right.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
14.1 High runs:

150 -- Aspiring Pro (A+)

OK, based on these calculations i didnt think i was ranked so high.... i am teetering between an A & A+ !!!!!

maybe i should start thinking the part, to keep my mind and game in check.

I Do believe there are other factors, such as Averages and BPI, and safety skill.

although i do like the calculations that were posted.

Steve

Last edited:

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Levels

Here is my opinion on skill levels in 14.1

14.1 High runs:

I based my levels on the BCA League that I play in.
I play in the A-Master Div. in Dallas. That is the only way I can apply a ranking.
Samiel:
John, is a top Pro & around tournaments. I can see his view when looking at other players. So, it is most likely what your looking for when it comes to a correct answer.

PS: John it really helps when you & Steve L. leave comments on some of these kind of topics when they come up. Thanks.

Last edited:

Skess

Another sidearmer...
Silver Member
I don't have the background to rank other players in this game, but the first list would put me about where I belong. Having said that, I think consistency is a more telling factor than just high run. In my case, I have run 98 once. Other than that, my high run is 62 and I usually hang around the 20's and 30's most of the time.

According to the original rankings by Dr9ball, I would fall into the b to b+ range. And that sounds about right.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You left out what is probably the largest class of players-B.S.
You all know the guy who says "I only played once or twice,
ran like 180 and got bored.Don't care for the game much."
Samiel knows to whom I refer!:D

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a little discouraging to find that after 70 years, off and on, lessons from 2 nationally known instructors, 2 well known local instructors, hours of practice, local competitor, and a love of the game, I still come up 21 balls short of even being considered a pool player.

One of the pros, might have been Nick Varner, stated that the average pool player can't run 6 balls. On that basis at least I am above average.

Dave Nelson

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
I am getting through two full racks everytime I play now. Within the last month I have had two runs in the 40's. I am hoping that I break through real soon. I am definitely developing some good rhythm. I will post a new video some time this week.

Hey Dave, its all good because I feel I am a between a strong B & weak A player and I still havent ran 50 balls.

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
I consider myself a C+ player and my high run is 43. In a normal game to 100, I'll usually hit a 20+ or two. I don't see very many 30+ runs though. Of course, this is on a 9-foot table with dirty balls, worn cloth and tight pockets. I'm pretty sure I'd hit a 50+ on an 8-foot table if I played on one regularly. I just need to work on my patterns! :p

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
League

I consider myself a C+ player and my high run is 43. In a normal game to 100, I'll usually hit a 20+ or two. I don't see very many 30+ runs though. Of course, this is on a 9-foot table with dirty balls, worn cloth and tight pockets. I'm pretty sure I'd hit a 50+ on an 8-foot table if I played on one regularly. I just need to work on my patterns! :p

Sounds like that you can hold your own. That is good shooting.
Just received an e-mail from Herman. The new season starts up in June 1st.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this was my questions too

14.1 High runs:

150 -- Aspiring Pro (A+)

I had this question too and found this thread, but I was looking for a chart that went all the way down to zero, for those of us with a high run under 50...:rolleyes:

Here is my guess? How does this look?

0-3 - true beginner
4-15 - D player
16-20 - Low C
21-29 - C player
30-49 - High C
50+ - B and above (see other chart)

(Of course this assumes your high run is about right for your level of play and not a fluke)

Bohemian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
526+ on a Diamond?

Useful Info On Documented High Runs...
http://hermund.ardalen.com/straightpoolhighruns.htm

It should be noted that Johnny Archer apparently has yet to run better than 200...

Or how about Jennette Lee? hers is 152...

Both individuals are de facto world class straight pool players...

Then we have former World Straight Pool Champion Bobby Hunter whose is listed as 225...

How about Darren Appleton? apparently his high run is 183 and he is one of 3 individuals to ever win the US Open back to back, with Mika and Varner being the other two...
Not withstanding Darren has won the Derby City Straight Pool Challenge previously against the best in the world...

I have to dig up the citation but I seem to recall hearing Danny Di Liberto say on one of my accustats dvd's that there were a number of world champions and top pros & money players that never broke 100... but were consistent 70-90 ball runners that did real well...

Notwithstanding, I believe that former Straight Pool World Champion Thorsten Hohmann has the high-run record for a world class competition event with a high run of 175...

Which IMHO would leave the following scale lacking...

I would think at minimum it would need to be qualified with Women/Men and whether or not their high run occurred in pro competition, exhibition or in their living room or elsewhere and they happened to have the camera rolling at the time, or a large crowd etc...

I have a 3 ft high stack of DVD's of 14.1 Competition that can clearly demonstrate high runs in straight pool in competition average below 100, regardless of whether race was to 100/150/200 etc... from what I have seen on DVD/VHS over the years...

IMHO, from what I have seen, if you can consistently run 50-100 balls under pressure or not, you can run with anybody on the planet...

I am still hoping to see Mr. 400 John Schmidt run 526+ on DVD one of these days...
Better still if on a 9ft Diamond!

:)

Peace.

Joshua70

german oak
Silver Member
In Germany we usually count BPI to see the average skill of a player. High Runs are also documented, but usually not that important.

After all, i don´t like both of the ways to rate a player. They mostly show, what a player could do, but not always, what he is able to do under pressure.

We now have two types of players: The ones, who a hunting for a high BPI (very aggressive, trying each combination on the table but not always successful) and the more defensive (if a ball hasn´t a really high chance of +70% they play a safe- boring but more successful mostly).

How´s about the skills in rotation- games, which are more useful in modern times (tournaments). I know guys, who can´t shoot more than 50 balls, but run out 3 or 4 consecutive racks with a high consistency.

Damn- with every post here, I get remembered, that English is not my used language- sorry for that...

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
I thought Archer ran 150 and out in a match, and then continued his run to over 200 balls within a few months of even trying the game. Varner had coached him for a bit before the tourney.