Rasson vs Diamond Tables

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find the pocket cut on the Rasson "gaffy". Easy when cloth is slick and new but goofy down the rail at pace when worn in. The Diamonds play more "linear". Yes all tables get tougher with age but the Rassons start to play strange and bank SUPER SHORT when warn in. Overall I prefer Diamonds but prefer a Gold Crown for banking.

Also as mentioned the Rassons come with a million pieces of hardware. Think Ikea on steroids.

Really my only complaint with the Diamonds is access to ball return gulley. Once you drop something in there you are in trouble. Plus they are tough to keep clean in there.
Drop pockets fix that problem🤣

MurrayNevada

Drop pockets fix that problem🤣
I'm still selling Pro-Am Drop Pocket Conversion Kits. The kit is only $299.99 with free shipping. USPS Money Orders only.

Car Wash Sponges.jpg

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I disagree with your statement, "The Diamonds will reject certain shots when hit at speed - even if hit correctly." I've never had a correctly hit ball, nor seen a correctly hit ball not pocketed on a Diamond. Perhaps you mistake it with Olhausen. It's fine if you prefer Rasson for as the saying goes, you are entitled to your own opinion. The saying goes on to say that you are NOT entitled to your own facts.
I'm apparently in the minority but I'm kind of of the opinion that once more than half the ball and especially almost all of the ball is past the pocket points, that ball should fall almost every time. To go past the pocket points and rattle out is janky and bad pocket design--period.

I can't see any logical reason for intentionally wanting janky pockets like that that spit out balls that should fall. When you want pockets to play tougher, then make them tougher by making them smaller, but where almost all balls that make it past the narrow jaws will still fall. Don't make them to where they spit out balls that were pocketed and try to call those good pockets because that just makes no sense when there is a much better way to do it by just making the pocket smaller and play right instead.

Diamonds spit out a LOT of balls that should go and their pocket designs need improving.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm apparently in the minority but I'm kind of of the opinion that once more than half the ball and especially almost all of the ball is past the pocket points, that ball should fall almost every time. To go past the pocket points and rattle out is janky and bad pocket design--period.

I can't see any logical reason for intentionally wanting janky pockets like that that spit out balls that should fall. When you want pockets to play tougher, then make them tougher by making them smaller, but where almost all balls that make it past the narrow jaws will still fall. Don't make them to where they spit out balls that were pocketed and try to call those good pockets because that just makes no sense when there is a much better way to do it by just making the pocket smaller and play right instead.

Diamonds spit out a LOT of balls that should go and their pocket designs need improving.
Diamonds do not spit balls out. However, if you hit a ball with pace and you catch a point it will go off two points and who knows where it will end up. I’ve had plenty of balls hang very deep in the pocket that seem unfair for sure but by the same token the ball wasn’t struck well. If the ball hits the facing, it will not spit out.

Maybe you need to shoot a slow motion video and show us how a Diamond spits balls out. I’ll bet if it spits out, it was never in to begin with, It was catching the points.

Last edited:

dfaulkner

I disagree with your statement, "The Diamonds will reject certain shots when hit at speed - even if hit correctly." I've never had a correctly hit ball, nor seen a correctly hit ball not pocketed on a Diamond. Perhaps you mistake it with Olhausen. It's fine if you prefer Rasson for as the saying goes, you are entitled to your own opinion. The saying goes on to say that you are NOT entitled to your own facts.
No - I did not mean an Olhausen - I have noticed this on all Diamond tables. I thought it was just me but I heard a couple of our top ranked players say the same thing. I did not mean to make it sound like it was a big issue with the table. As I said in my original post I think Diamond are great tables and there is very little difference in playability with the Rasson. The reason I think Rasson is better is the way they are made - the aluminum bed with built in levels instead of shims, the Rasson's have almost 1/4 inch thicker slate and they use Klematch cushions. And while looks is not one of the most important things for a pool table I still say Diamonds look cheap and ugly - no contest against the Rasson.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
The very first table I played on was a 6-footer with a Masonite bed, nappy-ass felt, and pockets I could park a car in.

If I remember correctly, both me and my opponent were playing on the same table.

I'm really surprised the Real Snaky Guy hasn't chimed in on this thread.

Maniac

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diamonds are best table of World when cloth is new(ish). They play perfect.
Pockets play really tight after it get worn out though. Then they might reject some balls that should go in. Also rails kill side spin after rebound when rail cloth is old and give sometimes weird bounces. Rasson have exactly same problems. They can be even worse due deeper shelf.
Brunswick play good old and new cloth. Rails kills speed little too much but sidespin works great always.
Worst tables ive ever played in tourneys were Rassons that were installed poorly.

TrxR

No - I did not mean an Olhausen - I have noticed this on all Diamond tables. I thought it was just me but I heard a couple of our top ranked players say the same thing. I did not mean to make it sound like it was a big issue with the table. As I said in my original post I think Diamond are great tables and there is very little difference in playability with the Rasson. The reason I think Rasson is better is the way they are made - the aluminum bed with built in levels instead of shims, the Rasson's have almost 1/4 inch thicker slate and they use Klematch cushions. And while looks is not one of the most important things for a pool table I still say Diamonds look cheap and ugly - no contest against the Rasson.
Rassons 3pc slate is 30mm which is the same as Diamonds 3pc.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots of bad information in your post. Let’s start with 1/4” thicker, completely wrong.
Diamond Professional uses Timbestrand beams. This technology can replace steel in some applications. Rasson uses 6000 series aluminum, good stuff but definitely not superior. Levelers vs. shims, either way you need a socket and it accomplishes the same thing. Not sure this matters in this application but aluminum will flex way more than those timberstrand beams.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots of bad information in your post. Let’s start with 1/4” thicker, completely wrong.
Diamond Professional uses Timberland beams. This technology can replace steel in some applications. Rasson uses 6000 series aluminum, good stuff but definitely not superior. Levelers vs. shims, either way you need a socket and it accomplishes the same thing. Not sure this matters in this application but aluminum will flex way more than those timberline beams.
Actually its 'Timberstrand LSL'. Basically they take wood pieces and bond them in an industrial-strength epoxy matrix. Commonly used as both trusses and main beams in modern home building. Stuff is unbelievably strong. The main beams/joists can have 4-5" holes bored through them with no loss of strength. Also, Diamond's leveling system is every bit as good/effective as those use on Rasson and SAM/Predator. Also, i still don't see why people are so hung up on slate that is 4.6mm(.18") thicker. There is ZERO difference in how they play. More of a sales gimmick than anything else. Those alum. box beams that Rasson use are very stout and aren't going to flex but neither are Diamond's frames. One thing about metal frame tables: they have a LOT of fasteners/bolts that have to snugged/torqued correctly to maintain a square frame. Better hope your installer know his shit. I know SAM tables could be a real pia if installer got this wrong.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Actually its 'Timberstrand LSL'. Basically they take wood pieces and bond them in an industrial-strength epoxy matrix. Commonly used as both trusses and main beams in modern home building. Stuff is unbelievably strong. The main beams/joists can have 4-5" holes bored through them with no loss of strength. Also, Diamond's leveling system is every bit as good/effective as those use on Rasson and SAM/Predator. Also, i still don't see why people are so hung up on slate that is 4.6mm(.18") thicker. There is ZERO difference in how they play. More of a sales gimmick than anything else. Those alum. box beams that Rasson use are very stout and aren't going to flex but neither are Diamond's frames. One thing about metal frame tables: they have a LOT of fasteners/bolts that have to snugged/torqued correctly to maintain a square frame. Better hope your installer know his shit. I know SAM tables could be a real pia if installer got this wrong.
Is that what they were using back in the red label days too? I put one together one time and those beams were incredibly soft. Didn't take much torque on the bolts at all and those huge washers were counter sinking right down into the beam practically like it was balsa wood. I couldn't believe how soft those beams were, probably at least five times softer than pine. The beams were large enough that I'm sure they were structurally fine for the table (they were pretty substantial), but boy were they soft. Based on what I saw I wouldn't trust their use in any house of mine for trusses or main beams, not a chance.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have minimal exposure to diamonds and have only seen rassons on youtube and their website. That said, for leveling purposes, aluminum extrusion and jack screws is better than wood and shims. That isn't a Diamond vs Rasson thing. Just the facts surrounding the materials and methods used.

As an interesting side note...: I was given a 9fter a couple of years ago, but was dragging my feet on assembly because I wanted to lag steel blocks with acme bolts for leveling purposes to the wooden sub frame. Just thought it would be more reliable and adjustment friendly than shims. This was before I knew of the Rasson's construction.
Don't overanalyze.

If you set any table up well on a stable floor and environment, it stays level.

As far as play, Diamonds play better than Rasson imo. Pockets are tougher and rails are more active.

TrxR

Is that what they were using back in the red label days too? I put one together one time and those beams were incredibly soft. Didn't take much torque on the bolts at all and those huge washers were counter sinking right down into the beam practically like it was balsa wood. I couldn't believe how soft those beams were, probably at least five times softer than pine. The beams were large enough that I'm sure they were structurally fine for the table (they were pretty substantial), but boy were they soft. Based on what I saw I wouldn't trust their use in any house of mine for trusses or main beams, not a chance.
I'm thinking no. The timberstrand I've dealt with is not soft and is heavy.

Imotv8u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are correct. I'll never move my table ever again...heavy as hell. During a tornado, I'll hide under my diamond for safety.
My neighbor a half mile down the road had an old gold crown. After an EF-5 tornado hit us in 2011, I’m still finding pieces of the slate scattered all over my pasture.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't think it was around then. You can tell easy because it looks like black chipboard. You can see the pieces of wood in the mix. BTW, my poolroom has two old original D'mond Pros from the Camel Tour and they are still good tables. Big pockets and Red label rails but they still get used every day. https://www.weyerhaeuser.com/woodproducts/engineered-lumber/timberstrand-lsl/timberstrand-lsl-beams/