Remind me again why?

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Learn something before you throw it out there knocking pool!!

The league signed a three-year contract with ESPN to air its events and has brought on sponsors like sausage company Johnsonville, grill manufacturer Nexgrill, cornhole equipment maker All Cornhole and financial services company Raging Bull.Aug 18, 2018
Learn something before you throw it out there knocking pool!!

The league signed a three-year contract with ESPN to air its events and has brought on sponsors like sausage company Johnsonville, grill manufacturer Nexgrill, cornhole equipment maker All Cornhole and financial services company Raging Bull.Aug 18, 2018
I only speak the obvious, of course we all know Corn Hole is sponsored, but it's more than clear unless you are a blind man it's far more attractive to the general public thats simply a fact ,

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
OK, you'll have to educate me, for I had no idea that this affected pool's relationship with ESPN in in any way, Pool was on ESPN for another twenty years after the alleged C of C dump, which I remember well.
I cannot educate you. You are far more knowledgeable concerning professional pool than I could ever be.

My mistake when I mentioned ESPN. I was trying to show an example of something that has helped cause businesses to not want to sponsor pool. It has a past history of shadiness.

Another example in two words: Kevin Trudeau.

It's an uphill battle.

Reactions: sjm

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I cannot educate you. You are far more knowledgeable concerning professional pool than I could ever be.

My mistake when I mentioned ESPN. I was trying to show an example of something that has helped cause businesses to not want to sponsor pool. It has a past history of shadiness.

Another example in two words: Kevin Trudeau.

It's an uphill battle.
Thanks for the clarification.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I only speak the obvious, of course we all know Corn Hole is sponsored, but it's more than clear unless you are a blind man it's far more attractive to the general public thats simply a fact ,

Back in the day not long ago within last 25 years Ladies 9 Ball was on Main Stream Television. Allison Fisher, Eva Laurence and 5 or 6 other ladies playing Pool was in vogue.

Why this Ladies Pool went away, I do not recall.

Sure answer could be had from Magic Eight Ball, or RKC’s head. Glenn says he know everything.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Why can't this sport find ANY source of sponsorship OUTSIDE of this industry???

Is it really like everyone assumes, because pool has such a bad reputation?

OR, because there's no leadership or organization involved in the sport?

OR MAYBE, because those who feel they already control this sport worldwide, would actually LOSE that control by way of sponsors, organization, and LEADERSHIP taking OVER from them, leaving them completely out the door?

How much do advertisers spend each year?

It was calculated that the total advertising expenditure in North America in 2019 amounted to 253.6 billion U.S. dollars. Due to the impact of the coronavirus on the industry, the spending is expected to fall to 236 billion dollars in 2020, and rebound to 254 billion dollars by the end of 2022

How much money is spent on advertising globally?

Last year, global ad spending slipped 3.5% to $628 billion. For 2021, however, revenue will grow 24% in the U.K. and Brazil, 23% in China and 17% in the U.S., including political advertising.Jun 14, 2021

Glenn started with a simple question, 24 pages later we are still where we were on Day One, Question ONE. Has anything change but more bad blood between folks?

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glenn started with a simple question, 24 pages later we are still where we were on Day One, Question ONE. Has anything change but more bad blood between folks?
You're definitely helping. I think you should keep posting so the conversation doesn't fizzle out.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was a painful read and in its own way gives a hint into why pool is marginalized. When we can't agree on the basic facts, there's no room for working together.
Pool is sadly a past time, mainly for the older generation. Why pool looks unattractive from the outside (both from a recruitment and sponsors perspective) is a complex issue. The link between gambling, alcohol and seedy locations (yes I know that's a generalisation..) does not help, nor does the attitude of many of the players, loudmouths, macho attitude and a hobby/sport that seems to attract more shady characters than any other sport or hobby I know all plays a factor. Pool should have thought of recruitment a long, long time ago, now the competition for attention among the younger generation is more intense than ever before, niche sports loose out as a result. Pool needs a global governing body that cleans up the sports appearance and make it interesting to watch. Personally I think pool should focus on women and the fact that pool could be a gender neutral sport.

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
You're definitely helping. I think you should keep posting so the conversation doesn't fizzle out.

Well when ASSHATS attach because they think they know me. I tend to get pissy.

People say they heard, and that is just gossip.

Glenn IMHO should show with actions, not beat Chevy like wild Gorella.

Great people do not need advertise how Gray they are, people recognize greatness, and notice.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well when ASSHATS attach because they think they know me. I tend to get pissy.

People say they heard, and that is just gossip.

Glenn IMHO should show with actions, not beat Chevy like wild Gorella.

Great people do not need advertise how Gray they are, people recognize greatness, and notice.
Who said they think they know you?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

Attachments

• 4546EEFF-CDFF-42C5-9179-1DC5A2FCA78C.jpeg
    4546EEFF-CDFF-42C5-9179-1DC5A2FCA78C.jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 58

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You said people say, you believe everyone?

Or just like being gossip monger?
Oh I got you, you're talking about when I said my friend knows you. Well he is a trusted friend, why wouldn't I believe him? And he paid you a COMPLIMENT! He said you aren't as you appear to be online. That's high praise, don't be upset.

You know we live in the same area and are members of the same pool community right? Is it crazy to believe we know some of the same people?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
It wasn't a question. It was a challenge to enter a strawman arguement purely for sport and another fresh platform for his own pontification.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Well I took it as wanting feed back. My only dealing with Glenn was a phone call. He was professional , gave me name of other guy he knew in the Valley.

That person was contact about multi Gold Crown rebuilds and repairs. He said he could do work, and I passed info on to party looking for repair work.

Those two calls were positive. Sadly Good Old Tables we’re replaced with new tables.🤮

Dumb.👎

Last edited:

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
silverbacks can be jerks but I can watch them all day. Bad to the bone on a banana diet. Audubon Zoo had a two by two foot square of sod that they had put down in the gorilla area. Somebody teased the silverback and he hummed it about forty feet into the crowd! Bottom line, don't piss with gorillas, particularly the silverbacks. They are Lord High Master of all they survey and don't mind proving it now and then!!

Hu
Throw this guy in that enclosure and who you backing? :)

1629312659824.png

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Throw this guy in that enclosure and who you backing? :)

View attachment 606965

I would take an intact gorilla against a photoshopped ox!(grin)

In the days of the old west a common entertainment was to pit a longhorn bull against pretty much anything; The bull killed an african lion in four minutes best I recall. Generally beat grizzlies too. That looks to have been a fighting bull before somebody PC'ed him. For lack of ambition to tackle chores I sat here and gave the match-up a little thought. Man beats bull most of the time because the bull is inherently clumsy and we get weapons, lots of weapons! The gorilla is far faster than a man I suspect so I don't really think one is going to be there at the end of a bull's charge. Gorillas often bluff charge, running right up to the other gorilla to see what happens. Mistaking a bull's charge for a bluff charge could be a major opps!

The gorilla isn't as fast over ground as the bull but in an enclosure? Even a bull doesn't want to be hemmed up with an angry gorilla!

This reminds me of a backyard boxer and a black belt. With boxing gloves on it was no contest and the boxer with zero other training wasn't foolish enough to try the blackbelt on his home court. I think that both realized in a street fight it would come down to which got in the first telling blow. Fortunately they were friends and never put it to the test. I think "first telling blow" might be the story with the gorilla and the bull too. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they both decided not to crowd each other.

I gave this far more thought than was called for. After going back and forth and acknowledging it could go either way, I think I would bet on my cousin!

Hu

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally think the very best players should be able to make a living doing it. Most of the people that have made a living from it in the US have done so with exhibitions. I believe most of the true legends did so, but even then very few made their living from only pool. Even fishing, which is done by far more people, doesn't support a huge number of professionals making a living. Almost everyone in that field has to do so by sponsorship and seminars. Both are hobbies for even the above average players (or in the case of fishing anglers).

Of course people can make a living from the industry, but almost all of them are not going to do it by being players only.

Why? There are lots of things where the very best can't make a living.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Why? There are lots of things where the very best can't make a living.
Why should they be able to make a living? Endorsements, seminars, tournaments, exhibitions, and cash games all should be able to let the top 5 guys make a living.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Endorsements, seminars, tournaments, exhibitions, and cash games all should be able to let the top 5 guys make a living.
5 guys??? What about the rest of them? Should they go out and find themselves jobs outside of pool?

The problem with this type of discussion is "Who gets to draw the line at a certain number of players?"'

It's basically the same argument as where to draw the line between what constitutes a pro pool player from an amateur. A big ol' confusing gray area.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
5 guys??? What about the rest of them? Should they go out and find themselves jobs outside of pool?

The problem with this type of discussion is "Who gets to draw the line at a certain number of players?"'

It's basically the same argument as where to draw the line between what constitutes a pro pool player from an amateur. A big ol' confusing gray area.

Not a argument to me. Pick a number you like and go with it. I don't think of being a pro pool player as a career for a large number of people. Its a industry that people can make a living at, but I don't include players in that living. Products sales and upkeep yes. I look at careers as ones that give you the ability to retire at some point, to afford healthcare, to actually own a house and buy a new car. I don't think that is going to be a very large number. Not enough money in spectators. Be honest do you like go watch tournaments you aren't playing or have a financial reason to be there?

Yes there is watching events on ppv, but the majority of pool players don't even care who the pro's are. They care about their apa rating and maybe going to vegas.