Revo Revo revo

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Start by wrapping your maple blanks with it.

Then turn down the blank.

They will look like this:

13494424541301484254025.jpeg

Good luck with that. Autoclave temps.(270-500deg) will probably be high enough for the wood to catch fire. Try finding videos of how golf shafts are made. Same methods will apply to pool shafts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvxIHZLk9XQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8c0Dd6T1jw

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty sure he was joking.
I'm sure he was but i've actually heard people say that they can make cf shafts themselves. Without a major investment or access to aerospace facilities it would be almost impossible. Probably be cheaper to have Aldila make it for you and then start the marketing blitz. Since it doesn't have to endure the loading/unloading forces like a golf shaft making one for pool should be easier and cheaper. I'm guessing that Predator is making a killing on the Revo. Good Chinese-built golf shafts can be had for less than 50bux.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never said to cure it.

I said to put it on and remove it. Did you not catch the joke?

I know how the stuff is made. I have been studying it for cue cases. ;)

Cases would be easy compared to shafts. Just build it like a boat hull. Low-modulus cf is cheap compared to the HM stuff.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure he was but i've actually heard people say that they can make cf shafts themselves. Without a major investment or access to aerospace facilities it would be almost impossible. Probably be cheaper to have Aldila make it for you and then start the marketing blitz. Since it doesn't have to endure the loading/unloading forces like a golf shaft making one for pool should be easier and cheaper. I'm guessing that Predator is making a killing on the Revo. Good Chinese-built golf shafts can be had for less than 50bux.

Think about how much some of these custom makers already sink into equipment.

Seriously.

As I said, there are already small shops producing custom CF parts for various applications. They certainly aren't Northrop Grumman. :wink:

If they can get 500-700 for a Revo, what can a custom maker get? Think about that. A made to spec CF shaft from a maker with a reputation certainly would command a price.

Someone will do it. Some custom maker will break into the market with a CF shaft. One of the bigger ones first like JOSS, Schon, etc most likely. Heck, Janes had a used shaft machine for sale for 50K, imagine what that cost him to have designed and built new.

But a smaller maker with determination could do it. I am certain of that. And it could really make him a name. Tremendous risk as in any venture, but with this market exploding for these shafts, move or get off the pot.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cases would be easy compared to shafts. Just build it like a boat hull. Low-modulus cf is cheap compared to the HM stuff.

Yup.

And in fact you could purchase the parts off the shelf or have the tubes made...like It's George has their tubes extruded...Engles did too...those guys didn't make the tubes, they had them made...all of them...including JB. No need to invest in making the tubes.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Garczar

There are people on here that told me I could not build a pool cue with a wood pin in the Butt. But I have made hundreds of them and people that use them love them.

I am not saying I am going to go into competition with predator or run them out of business. I am just a little one man shop that has made 600 custom cues in the last 20 or so years.

I am saying i am going to build a couple of carbon fiber pool cue shafts. They might play like crap, i dont know until i build them. But I will build them.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are people on here that told me I could not build a pool cue with a wood pin in the Butt. But I have made hundreds of them and people that use them love them.

I am not saying I am going to go into competition with predator or run them out of business. I am just a little one man shop that has made 600 custom cues in the last 20 or so years.

I am saying i am going to build a couple of carbon fiber pool cue shafts. They might play like crap, i dont know until i build them. But I will build them.

Build at least one with a wood pin in the butt...just because. :thumbup:

I have seen you experiment a lot with construction and materials.

Please do try it. If they don't play like crap, people might just be beating down your door for one.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
As far as I'm concerned with the arguments put forth in this thread, I don't have the knowledge or experience to challenge anyone on their claims about Revo superiority. What I do know is the giant wood pins that Chuck (Desi) makes by hand and incorporates into the butt of his cues, creates a joint that gives the closest hit to that of a one piece cue I've ever felt, and that's a good thing! :thumbup:

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes

I don’t understand where all the negatively comes from with regards to people’s individual preferences? I mean I don’t like fat chicks but I wouldn’t put someone down who does. It’s not different than any other industry such as Firearms or cars, thankfully we have choices to buy what we want but bashing someone for buying something they enjoy makes you look ignorant and foolish....

Well said . I will add it is also good for the Industry something we all should want. If someone can't afford something they should not begrudge someone who can.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well said . I will add it is also good for the Industry something we all should want. If someone can't afford something they should not begrudge someone who can.

Well, it certainly isn't about affording it for many.

And I really don't think that was implied by the OP at all.

He concluded with " Practice, practice, practice". Hard to argue with that, no matter what cue/shaft one chooses. :smile:

It's about time-honored craftsmanship. Top notch maple shafts, from top notch makers are nothing to sneeze at. Really. The performance leap with the technology leap is not nearly as great as one might wish unless you are comparing to run-of-the-mill shafts on mass produced cues.

Most players are not playing at a level where that performance difference will make any difference at all. For those that are, that's great, put your Searing/SW/Szam shaft away and use the CF shaft if that is what you prefer. But don't be too surprise if some guy with a cheap wood cue made in PI beats the living daylights out of you and all comers because he practiced, practiced, practiced.....we know that happened...and it happens on a smaller scale all the time with great players using cheap cues.

I love cues. And I am actually a "gear geek" so I understand the attraction to the CF shafts. But the OP makes some great and valid points.

More than that, he tells us he is going to try to make some CF shafts. I applaud any effort that any cue maker might make in extending his talents into that arena.

It does make one wonder what kind of animal a true custom CF shaft might be.

Cychotron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It does make one wonder what kind of animal a true custom CF shaft might be.

This is exactly what i was thinking! Carbon fiber is just another material for a custom maker to create a masterpiece!
I hope more makers try it out.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

LeonD123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If carbon fiber cues were better than wood, snooker players would play with it.

But they don't.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

But they don't.

Snooker has smaller/lighter cue ball, not requiring the power generation in the hit like one needs when playing pool (especially rotation pool). There is a resiliency/wear factor that pool cues go through whereas snooker cues kind of get a lighter work load.

Not saying it can't be done, because Mark Grey has played quality pool with his snooker cue.

That said, snooker cues are also either one piece or two piece solid wood from Ash, not spliced/solid maple like pool cues. Even the ferrule technology is different between snooker and pool cues. The tips in snooker are usually one piece leather tips, while pool players bounce between one piece and layered tips of varying leather hardness.

There is already advanced technology in pool cues, from hollow core Low deflection shafts to synthetic material ferrules (which you won't find in snooker). It was a given that eventually an entire shaft would be synthetic.

In my opinion, the cue sport with the heaviest work load is 3 cushion with the larger balls and more power/spin needed to execute top level shots.
I'm expecting the professionals in these sports to switch to carbon fiber once the diameters/lengths of the shafts become more varied in sizes.

Russian Billiards or Pyramid players require a sledge hammer hit to pocket object balls. I'm expecting to see lots of carbon fiber in the years to come by their professionals.

The ability to have a cue that will not warp, dent, or change over time and over the amount of hours played at the table is a significant and i think it is one that players will stand in line for once the manufacture modifications can be made by the maker to get the right size cue the player wants for the desired cue sport played.

In the very least, the non carbon fiber pool players are switching to carbon fiber break cues because the abuse factor and power required for the break shot wreak havoc on wood and a carbon composite cue will withstand that for years.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

But they don't.
Its just a matter of time. As soon as RonnieO,Trump,Ding wins a big event with a cf cue the floodgates will open.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

But they don't.

Snooker players don’t play with the diameter shaft that revo comes in I believe. They play with a much thinner shaft. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong about that. I love watching snooker but I am certainly no expert.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker players don’t play with the diameter shaft that revo comes in I believe. They play with a much thinner shaft. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong about that. I love watching snooker but I am certainly no expert.
It may or may not be a Revo but someone will offer a cf snooker cue. I'm guessing fairly soon based on the reception the Revo's been getting.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yup, Ronnie OSullivan plays with the tip in range of 9-9.5mm. ;) Not sure if the construction process of carbon fiber shafts allows them to go this thin..:confused: