RIP Nelson Olivera

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Sad to hear --- very fine player and Joss Tour regular whose absence was noted last week at Turning Stone. Condolences to his family and friends.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I’m a little hard to shock....but I was shocked by this.
...way to soon to leave us...talked to Nelson last summer at the Stone...
...I think he was only 50 years old then.

..I knew him since the middle 90s....a good guy...and he could play...

...in the New England Hall of Fame....won a Joss tournament not long ago.

Rest In Peace, Nelson

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great player, very competitive. Somebody you could always put money on, knowing he would never quit.

Always upbeat and part of the scene. He will be missed.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Nelson (in blue) on a Joss tour win

6D1B6FDD-31D4-40A4-B768-CF62AC93A561.jpeg

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is very sad and very surprising.
Nelson had a powerful break and I watched him closely after I saw him play at Snooker's a couple of years ago. I now wished I watched him more.
My thoughts and prayers to his family.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nelson was a great player and a good friend. I played with him almost every week for years. Many, including myself, considered him to have the best cue ball of any player in New England. He won numerous Joss your stops, and in fact was the Joss player of the year just last year! He had some illnesses with undiagnosed complications for over a year. Was in a coma for the past couple weeks.

He was a friend and pool mentor to me. I wish so bad we had more time...I had a lot more to learn from him. He leaves a big hole in New England pool. Rest In Peace buddy.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Very sad to see these... and they seemingly just don't stop. I didn't know him or of him but I can certainly see from the previous posts he was both a solid player and a solid individual. Rest in Peace, Nelson.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Nelson Olivera aka Portuguese Pit Bull was the quintessential grinder who could often find a very high gear.

Very sad to hear this news.

Condolences and prayers to his family and friends.

RIP Nelson.

best,
brian kc

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played a set with him last time I was in Rhode Island. Great player and seemed like a good guy.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Horrible-Waaaaaaaaaaay too early. He was capable of winning against anyone. Didnt know him but never heard a bad word about him.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Nelson was a great player and a good friend. I played with him almost every week for years. Many, including myself, considered him to have the best cue ball of any player in New England. He won numerous Joss your stops, and in fact was the Joss player of the year just last year! He had some illnesses with undiagnosed complications for over a year. Was in a coma for the past couple weeks.

He was a friend and pool mentor to me. I wish so bad we had more time...I had a lot more to learn from him. He leaves a big hole in New England pool. Rest In Peace buddy.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Sad for your loss, KM.

With an above average break and world class pattern play, Nelson possessed a gear that made him a threat to beat anyone. I met him on numerous occasions, saw him play many times over the past 20 years, but never got to know him well.

One of the better matches I watched Nelson play was an action match against Tommy D'Alfonso at Snookers in 2015 in which Nelson won by 25-22. The quality was really high on both ends. It was a railbird's delight.

Dana Bufalo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Obituary, Guestbook & Directions

Nelson Oliveira - September 02, 2018

New Bedford – Nelson Oliveira, age 48, of New Bedford passed away on Sunday, September 2, 2018 at St. Luke’s Hospital. He was the beloved son of Maria L. (Cabral) and Lindolfo Oliveira and the former husband of Idalina Oliveira.

Nelson was born in New Bedford and worked construction for many years. He was also a professional Pool and Billards player. Nelson was a member of the Snooker’s Pool Hall in Providence, RI and earned the title of champion in the professional Northeast Region pool competitions.

He is survived by his 2 children: Austin and Caitlin Oliveira; 2 siblings: Joe Oliveira and his wife Zelia and Carlos Oliveira and his companion Sandra Coelho; 2 grandchildren:Sariya Cruz and Alahni Oliveira; 5 nephews and nieces: Corey Oliveira, Chelsea Oliveira, Brittney Oliveira, Lindsey Oliveira and Lincoln Oliveira; 3 Great nephew and nieces: Savannah Oliveira, Callie Oliveira, and John Silvia.

Nelson’s visiting hours will be held on Thursday evening from 5:00 – 8:00 P.M. in the funeral Home. His funeral will be Friday morning, beginning in the funeral home at 8:00 A.M. followed by a Mass of Christian Burial at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church at 9:00 A.M. Burial will immediately follow in Rural Cemetery.

Arrangements placed in the care of Perry Funeral Home 111 Dartmouth St. New Bedford, MA 02740

Obituary, Guestbook & Directions @ https://www.currentobituary.com/member/obit/223971