Rubbing the cue ball on the rail

James F

Registered
So many players will spin or rub the cue ball against the rails... is it for friction?

Attachments

• 20210124_222714.jpg
    20210124_222714.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 177

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do it when there are lots of little spots on the cue ball from chalk. Using my hand to spin the cue against the rail wipes them all off and the cue looks much cleaner just before I break. That's why I do it.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
You want to get the cue ball clean fast, moisten it with hand sanitizer and rub it in your hands for a few seconds. All the spots will be gone. Just dry it off and continue playing.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
You want to get the cue ball clean fast, moisten it with hand sanitizer and rub it in your hands for a few seconds. All the spots will be gone. Just dry it off and continue playing.
Thank God for that suggestion. I hate bending over and rubbing it into the establishment carpet. (y)

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Seems like there are better ways to clean the cue ball. I keep a small cloth with my stuff and occasionally wipe down the cue ball before I break. The problem is I have to win a game to get the opportunity to do that!

I rub the cb just inside the corner pocket below the playing surface where any damage won't matter.

Jeff Livingston

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I don't think I've ever encountered a dirty spot so severe that just rubbing my thumb on it couldn't make it disappear.

If the CB needs a wipe I generally just use my shirt...lol. I also don't wear white to the pool room. ...oh and I haven't ever been in a situation that my opponent is using that really pasty chalk that coats the CB.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think I've ever encountered a dirty spot so severe that just rubbing my thumb on it couldn't make it disappear.

If the CB needs a wipe I generally just use my shirt...lol. I also don't wear white to the pool room. ...oh and I haven't ever been in a situation that my opponent is using that really pasty chalk that coats the CB.
I use my shirt too and try to avoid hand contact throughout play....but racking does present some notable difficulty with that.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
it has nothing to do with cleaning the cue ball...... it is just a nervous habit and part of the breaking procedure

Kim

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You would have to ask each player to be sure, but when I've done it, it was to clean the cue ball.

Miscues leave spots on the cue ball that are going to take considerably more effort to remove than just a light rub on the rail.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
if an opponent wants a ball cleaned he is supposed to ask the ref. and you are his ref. if playing him. and you should be the one to clean it if you have agreed to allow balls to be cleaned during a game or during the match.

pab

Center ball can do it all
Silver Member
My understanding is that it cleans the CB. I've also seen Ralph Souquet frequently drop it into his pants pocket and rub it around a bit to clean the chalk off prior to breaking.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
You would have to ask each player to be sure, but when I've done it, it was to clean the cue ball.

Miscues leave spots on the cue ball that are going to take considerably more effort to remove than just a light rub on the rail.
Kamui chalk also leaves a tremendous amount of chalk on the cue ball. If I am playing someone using Kamui that is making a mess of the cue ball I will ask him to clean it between games. I have always rubbed the cue ball on the rail to remove chalk, it seems like an opponent could take offense if I used a towel, shirt, pants pocket, etc without asking first. I would think this causes little to no additional wear on the table especially compared to the racking area where everyone loads the rack.