Sad news about Grady Matthews.

Gramps

Pool Room Owner
Silver Member
I just got the following message from Grady Matthews daughter and thought it should be passed on to all AZer's.

"Hello all. Happy Easter. It is Marie, Grady's daughter. If anyone has anything they want to say to my dad, I would do it soon. He fought really hard through chemo and radiation, but unfortunately there is nothing else that can be done. The doctor has given him about 4 weeks. His family is deeply saddened by the news. I will follow up with an address to send letters to on Monday."

I hope all of you that know and love "The Professor" as I do will send along a note on here to show Grady how much we love him and appreciate all he has ment to us and the pool community over the past years. I just wish we had all of his knowledge and great stories written down somewhere.

We love you Grady !

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Long live Grady Matthews!!

Thank you for all you have done for the pool world Sir.

You are a legend and won't be forgotton.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Grady you are one of my heros and have been for along time. We never met but we would have if I would of known you were in Colorado Springs.
I will be sending you positive energy.

Marie thanks for letting us know and hang in there yourself.

theeviltwin69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you Grady

I am saddened to hear this news!Grady you will always be remembered!Thank you for being such a great ambassador to this game,as players we all owe you a debt that could never be re-paid!

Stretch

steveinflorida

Silver Member
Grady, you are a true legend in every sense of the word.
You have done so very much for pool and we have all benefited
from your involvement in the game.
You are in my thoughts and prayers. Steve Price

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My heart goes out to Grady Mathews. He lives and breathes pool, and there is no question that he is an American pool legend.

During the autumn of his life, Grady's posts on this forum and others made me a little bit sad. Though I know he enjoys pool and wants others to enjoy it with him, it seemed as though he might not have realized how many fans he has out here in pooldom. He would sometimes become upset at some of the replies he would get on threads, not realizing there were those of us who absolutely appreciate every contribution he makes to pool, now as well as in the past. We adore Grady for his sense of humor and storytelling. What a cool guy!

Grady, if you read this, please know that I have, indeed, always known what a gentleman you are, first and foremost. I am a lot like you in many respects, fighting tooth and nail for what I believe is right. You have touched my life in so many ways. From Geese to Keith, our paths have intertwined. Please know I love you.

Your pool fan and friend, Jennie Ann.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are people who transcend the sport, people who brought so much more to it than the rest of us. Mr Matthews is one of them and one that stands out among the greats.

I am so sorry to hear this news. My heart goes out to Mr Matthews and his family.

Grady Matthews, I wish you peace.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
That's unbearably sad news... He will be greatly missed by all of us here.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The professor knows

I met you Grady a few times a long time ago when you were around Chelsea Billiards in NYC. If I remember correctly you played Johnny Ervilino
some one pocket over a couple of days. Fancy that you playing one pocket! That's the same room that George "Ginky" SanSouci and Jeanette Lee came out of, both great players just like you Sir. I never had the chance to meet Billy Incardona but have definitely enjoyed the two of you bantering back and forth on Accu-Stats, one thing that sticks in my memory for some reason is that when he was right about something you had to address him according to your deal with him as Mr. Incardona. And Sir let me tell you whenever I think about that it brings a smile to my face! That's not to forget your eloquent way of stating things. Last but not least by any means while I'm saying hello here I would like to say thanks for all I've learned from you (your videos) over the years. So thank you, Mr. Mathews just wanted to say hello my friend.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
A scene came to me while reading this thread.
The Rack...in the action years....early in the day...no action yet.

Someone asks Grady about a one-pocket situation....
..Grady conducts an impromptu clinic...he has a room full of wise-guys
and some of the toughest money players the world ever saw crowding
around the table while he explains the shot and all the variations....
...while using words like 'predicate' and 'mandatory'...
These road players behaved like children listening to their favorite teacher.

Grady, we love you.

regards
pt

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad news, indeed. I'm glad I got to see and meet Grady, it's an experience I wish everyone could have had.
A true legend of our game.

skierlawyer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I learned a shot from Grady that I still use occasionally when it comes up. He has an easy shot but his position path was blocked. He effortlessly shot the ball jacked up, made the shot, jumped the cue ball over a blocker, went 3 rails, and got shape on the next ball, and ran out. Grady is a true gentleman and very very talented and intelligent. Thanks for everything you have contributed to pool and to humanity.

TorranceChris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My sincerest wish that he find comfort in the coming days from the words of his fans, friends and family.

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very sad. Grady is a true ambassador for the game and one of the pioneers.

Thanks for the memories Grady. God Speed.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
So very sad to learn this news.

I never had the honor of meeting "The Professor" but still feel like I know him from watching and listening to his magnificent commentary over the years. I love his wit and that voice! :smile:

Grady, you have left your indelible mark on our sport.

I hope you will feel the love of all your fans, friends, and family, during the days and weeks to come.

Peace.

Best,
Brian kc

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Godspeed, Grady...It's my loss to have never met you.

Last edited:

MN Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
God bless you Grady, and all the Mathew's family. Find joy in whatever you do and peace wherever you go. You made this world a better place and we all thank you.

Randy

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The day we are born we begin a journey that will end in death. Some sooner, some longer, but all at that same destination. That simple knowledge alone is what sets us apart from all other creatures on this planet; that cruel knowledge of this inevitability. What we do with this knowledge and how we choose to live our lives is the result. We can pretend it is not true, or we can live our lives every day wasting none of it. In that respect Grady is one of the lucky ones, always at the tiller guided by his own star. As we may feel grief, it should be mixed with an envy for one who discovered his own truths early in life and acted on them.
We should all be so lucky.

Last edited: