Schön mistake?

Highmiles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered a new Schön a couple of weeks ago. While cleaning the shaft today, I noticed that it has an Ivory ferrule, instead of the usual proprietary one they usually use. It was not ordered that way.
Has anyone else had this happen, or heard of it happening?

I wondered why the hit was so firm. LOL.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Ordered mine with two ivory ferules from a distributor...they came with the (cheaper) proprietary ferules, I didn't notice for almost five years (I know, great eye, huh?):eek: Since so much time went by and it was my fault for being so dumb, I never went back to the retailer (wasn't Schon's fault). I'd consider myself lucky, if I were you. Did you order from Schon directly or through a retailer?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you absolutely sure its ivory? They use different ferrule materials sometimes. Post pics.
Chuck

Highmiles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ordered mine with two ivory ferules from a distributor...they came with the (cheaper) proprietary ferules, I didn't notice for almost five years (I know, great eye, huh?):eek: Since so much time went by and it was my fault for being so dumb, I never went back to the retailer (wasn't Schon's fault). I'd consider myself lucky, if I were you. Did you order from Schon directly or through a retailer?

Through a distributor.

Highmiles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you absolutely sure its ivory? They use different ferrule materials sometimes. Post pics.
Chuck

I'm not sure I can get a good enough picture with my garbage camera.
Do they have any ferrules that appear to show a grain, like ivory? Also, it hits like my JossWest with ivory ferrules.
To answer your question, no I am not absolutely sure, but it sure seems to be.

matcase

Blondie's #1 fan
Silver Member
I had my Scruggs refinished and a new shaft made a bout 15 years ago. I asked for the synthetic ferrule but got ivory... I just chalked it up (pun) to TS being a helluva a nice bloke.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered a new Schön a couple of weeks ago. While cleaning the shaft today, I noticed that it has an Ivory ferrule, instead of the usual proprietary one they usually use. It was not ordered that way.

Their Schon IV shaft has an ivory ferrule. I have one but prefer the 20 yr old shaft.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure I can get a good enough picture with my garbage camera.
Do they have any ferrules that appear to show a grain, like ivory? Also, it hits like my JossWest with ivory ferrules.
To answer your question, no I am not absolutely sure, but it sure seems to be.

The last new shaft I bought, looked like it had a grain to it. Schon has changed ferrule material a few times over the years. It could be a mistake...... but Im betting its not ivory. You could do the hot needle test, but if its not ivory, you will be melting your ferrule.
Chuck

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member

I would be careful talking about this on a public forum, you have now given them all the proof they need to send you a bill for the Ivory, man you just don't know when to quit while your a head!!!!!!:cool:

Oh and by the way I am just joking, I think you got a great deal!!!!:D

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
send it to me and i will send you mine that has the other ferrule or an old one with micarta
trade even,both of mine are used

I am surprised you think the ivory makes the cue play different,i didn't know it was possible to tell tell the difference

Highmiles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
send it to me and i will send you mine that has the other ferrule or an old one with micarta
trade even,both of mine are used

I am surprised you think the ivory makes the cue play different,i didn't know it was possible to tell tell the difference

I have always felt and heard a difference in ferrules. I'm surprised to hear others don't.

Highmiles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The last new shaft I bought, looked like it had a grain to it. Schon has changed ferrule material a few times over the years. It could be a mistake...... but Im betting its not ivory. You could do the hot needle test, but if its not ivory, you will be melting your ferrule.
Chuck

Thanks. That helps.

SuzieQ

Registered
I had a high dollar Schon that had the butt destroyed when I tripped and fell with it. I sent it Schon hoping to gt it repaired. It was completely my fault and NOT due to any factory defect that should have remotely been covered under warrently. Schon replied that it could not be repaired but they appreciate their customers and would replace it with a cue of my choice in the same price range for approximately 35% of the cues selling price. This was above, beyond, and far out. I now own three Schons ! You want the best, GO WITH SCHON !

juegabillar

Private Citizen
Silver Member

visit this page and based on what you paid for the shaft you may have an idea if it is ivory or not.....http://www.schoncues.com/html/misc_items.html