Shaft aiming

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most pros, when describing their aiming methods, are more than likely describing how they consciously developed their feel for aiming. Now it's automatic, which means they don't think about it, or, as I said, they "don't pay attention" to it. Of course, when the pressure or heat is on they may actually pay attention and really focus on that contact point, ghostball, or fractional aim point, or whatever, if they feel they need it.

Paying attention to an exact method of aiming on each shot is not playing subconsciously. It is not playing purely by feel or memory recall or automatic "in the zone" shooting. But consciously repeating the method enough will eventually lead to doing it automatically, subconsciously. When this level of play is reached, the system that got you there is basically nothing more than the foundation upon which you developed your aiming skills. You might reference the foundation on occasion, but it's no longer a conscious part of your normal shooting routine.

Are you saying that me, as a cte user, cannot pick up my visuals, do my sweep, and play "in the zone"? Cause i would have to disagree with that. I certainly reference and use all my visuals while playing "in the zone"

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are you saying that me, as a cte user, cannot pick up my visuals, do my sweep, and play "in the zone"? Cause i would have to disagree with that. I certainly reference and use all my visuals while playing "in the zone"

I'm not saying that at all. I believe anyone can play in the zone using any method for which they've developed a great feel or skill in doing. It's a mental cruise control where your brain is functioning in complete harmony with your body. This happens more often if you aren't consciously trying to make it happen. So yes, your brain can easily work in perfect unison getting visuals and sweeping into shots, just as simply as it can work with fractions or contact points or See or Samba or shaft edge aiming, etc....or even with what I and others call feel - just seeing the shots.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Where did the flames get started Brian? Where I discussed that I purchased the SAMBA system and what's in it to the OP and others who chimed in?

Or maybe how I'm promoting and talking positively about any and all aiming systems for usage while playing IN AN AIMING FORUM.

Or is it you who continues to post over and over that aiming systems have NO VALUE or AREN'T USED in ACTUAL PLAY either by the pros or amateurs in AN AIMING FORUM?

Yep, where is the mod?

It sure looks like the mood went sour when you posted this....

Which leads me to this question. Why do "boneheads" who think they're either great players or know everything there is to know about pool say, "aiming isn't important...I've never used an aiming system...I don't even aim...I just see the shot...I can't tell you what I do in the aligning process to pocket balls...it's all about the stroke".

Do you know any players like this who say the above and give NO information or misinformation because it certainly is erroneous and completely contradicts your study and experiments with the wife?

Or does aiming only pertain to hack beginners?

Maybe you didn't intend to be brash, but it certainly reads like it. And every post following just kept going off track.

And I am 100% in favor of aiming systems helping players both learn how to pocket balls and develop consistent shooting skills. Again, I've never said aiming systems aren't used by pros and can't benefit or be of value to amateur players. I've only stated that I believe most pros don't think about any systematic aiming process when they play. Anyway, I actually came up with an aiming system...lol. If I didn't believe they were of value why in the world would I be here talking about them and talking about my book? :rolleyes: Just like Stan Shuffett, I believe my work can help many players reach a higher level of playing pool. In your mind that makes me a "know it all". Usually the know-it-alls are the ones that accuse someone else of being a know-it-all because his or her opinions don't conform to the opinions of those that already know it all. I know I'm not a know-it-all because I am always open to learning. Know it alls are too close-minded to learn anything beyond what they already think is the bomb.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not saying that at all. I believe anyone can play in the zone using any method for which they've developed a great feel or skill in doing. It's a mental cruise control where your brain is functioning in complete harmony with your body. This happens more often if you aren't consciously trying to make it happen. So yes, your brain can easily work in perfect unison getting visuals and sweeping into shots, just as simply as it can work with fractions or contact points or See or Samba or shaft edge aiming, etc....or even with what I and others call feel - just seeing the shots.

Sure sounds different then what you said here:
"Paying attention to an exact method of aiming on each shot is not playing subconsciously. It is not playing purely by feel or memory recall or automatic "in the zone" shooting. But consciously repeating the method enough will eventually lead to doing it automatically, subconsciously. When this level of play is reached, the system that got you there is basically nothing more than the foundation upon which you developed your aiming skills. You might reference the foundation on occasion, but it's no longer a conscious part of your normal shooting routine."

That's why i questioned it.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
It sure looks like the mood went sour when you posted this....

My mood was upbeat. Did you suffer from a self-imposed guilt complex or something?

Maybe you didn't intend to be brash, but it certainly reads like it. And every post following just kept going off track.

You had nothing to do with it, correct? :angel2:

And I am 100% in favor of aiming systems helping players both learn how to pocket balls and develop consistent shooting skills. Again, I've never said aiming systems aren't used by pros and can't benefit or be of value to amateur players.

I've only stated that I believe most pros don't think about any systematic aiming process when they play.

Do you think it's possible, even remotely possible your "BELIEF" is incorrect? I think most pros are so well trained and experienced with their aiming system, whatever it might be, it can be visualized and set up before a full second goes by so they can then put their primary focus on a good stroke with appropriate speed. Although they don't force that part either. I think they are using something and that is what I believe.

Anyway, I actually came up with an aiming system...lol. If I didn't believe they were of value why in the world would I be here talking about them and talking about my book? :rolleyes:

Who is talking about your book? I now have your book and grazed through it briefly. Somebody sent it to me. I could really talk about your book and some of the claims you wrote in it now, but I really might be breaking the rules for sure. Let's just say it's not simple as stated. My eyes got crossed with the math angles and diagrams. But I do believe fractions can be of benefit. I've used them in the past.

Just like Stan Shuffett, I believe my work can help many players reach a higher level of playing pool. In your mind that makes me a "know it all". Usually the know-it-alls are the ones that accuse someone else of being a know-it-all because his or her opinions don't conform to the opinions of those that already know it all. I know I'm not a know-it-all because I am always open to learning. Know it alls are too close-minded to learn anything beyond what they already think is the bomb.

Sounds to me like you've done a good job of describing yourself above as a know-it-all but just in denial.

You never purchased either DVD 1 or DVD 2 from Stan nor seen him in person for a lesson. But you know-it-all to say shots can't work as he states based on what YOU think is correct. And you keep doing it. That qualifies.

Since you're so open to learning and NOT a know-it-all, I have to think you'll be purchasing SAMBA for pool or try to get your hands on a 90/90 DVD, correct?

How soon with that happen? If no answer or never, that qualifies also and shows you're talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Why do you keep this instigating up? I really don't want to talk to you or post back and forth. Do you think you can just go to the table and work on your own fractional aiming system so it's second nature enough to use automatically when playing and you don't have to revert back to something you can't even describe in words or remember where it came from?

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Originally Posted by BC21:

I believe anyone can play in the zone using any method for which they've developed a great feel or skill in doing. It's a mental cruise control where your brain is functioning in complete harmony with your body. This happens more often if you aren't consciously trying to make it happen. So yes, your brain can easily work in perfect unison getting visuals and sweeping into shots, just as simply as it can work with fractions or contact points or See or Samba or shaft edge aiming, etc....or even with what I and others call feel - just seeing the shots.

Sure sounds different then what you said here:

"Paying attention to an exact method of aiming on each shot is not playing subconsciously. It is not playing purely by feel or memory recall or automatic "in the zone" shooting. But consciously repeating the method enough will eventually lead to doing it automatically, subconsciously. When this level of play is reached, the system that got you there is basically nothing more than the foundation upon which you developed your aiming skills. You might reference the foundation on occasion, but it's no longer a conscious part of your normal shooting routine."

That's why i questioned it.

Ok. But both of these statements say the same thing, support the same belief. By consciously "paying attention" to an exact aiming method on each shot, a player is not allowing his brain the best opportunity of subconscious cruising. That's why beginners and lower skilled players don't have much of a chance of experiencing dead stroke, "in the zone" play. Once they've been using the method long enough to make it automatic, no longer trying or paying attention to the exact steps, they'll begin to experience what it's like to be in the zone.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Sounds to me like you've done a good job of describing yourself above as a know-it-all but just in denial.

You never purchased either DVD 1 or DVD 2 from Stan nor seen him in person for a lesson. But you know-it-all to say shots can't work as he states based on what YOU think is correct. And you keep doing it. That qualifies.

Since you're so open to learning and NOT a know-it-all, I have to think you'll be purchasing SAMBA for pool or try to get your hands on a 90/90 DVD, correct?

How soon with that happen? If no answer or never, that qualifies also and shows you're talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Why do you keep this instigating up? I really don't want to talk to you or post back and forth. Do you think you can just go to the table and work on your own fractional aiming system so it's second nature enough to use automatically when playing and you don't have to revert back to something you can't even describe in words or remember where it came from?

This is my last response to your pot stirring tactics....

I did have DVD1 years ago, and stated that here a few months back.. I didn't buy the dvd from Stan though, but I had it for about a week then sold it on eBay. I've watched every one of Stan's YouTube clips, multiple times, I've read every instruction on Mohrt's website, multiple times. I've spent several hours trying to follow the exact steps as outlined. Not until I stumbled onto someone's advice about starting with straight-in shots to learn the manual pivot did I finally understand how to do it. Then, out of curiosity, I took my learning of it beyond the simple visuals to figure out exactly how it works, mathematically. I'm finished with all that now. I will purchase Stan's book out of respect for his work. I know what goes into putting a book together, whether it's 100 pages or 300 pages, it's quite an accomplishment and he deserves recognition and support.

I will not be purchasing Samba. Based or your Samba comments it sounded interesting. But based on other comments it sounds far too time-consuming and way too involved. And that's no slam to Ekkes because from what I can tell he is fabulous. I am also not interested in studying any more pivot-based systems -- too many variables to consider. And that's no slam to those who prefer pivoting systems.

Years ago I was interested in becoming a BCA instructor, and now that I've published a book and have started helping other players improve, that interest has returned. I've already contacted Shane Tyree with the PBIA and I'll be pursuing my certification in 2018. I believe it'll be a great learning opportunity. This is the reason I ask a lot of questions and probe with comments concerning various aiming systems/techniques. I enjoy learning, but like anyone else I am somewhat selective on what I choose to learn, what I choose to spend my time on, and what I choose to believe.

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok. But both of these statements say the same thing, support the same belief. By consciously "paying attention" to an exact aiming method on each shot, a player is not allowing his brain the best opportunity of subconscious cruising. That's why beginners and lower skilled players don't have much of a chance of experiencing dead stroke, "in the zone" play. Once they've been using the method long enough to make it automatic, no longer trying or paying attention to the exact steps, they'll begin to experience what it's like to be in the zone.

Wow They are no where close to saying the same thing lol

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan White got a warning from Mike to stay out. Not only did he not listen, he PUMPED UP THE VOLUME and so did you. ALL WITHOUT LITTLE OLD ME. Finally, he slit his OWN throat by losing his marbles posting an inexcusably ill worded hostile post to someone else that got Mike so p*ssed off he had no choice but to BAN HIM. Not only didn't he stay out of CTE discussions as he was told, but he went off the deep end.

[lurk mode off]

Nice to see revisionist history is still alive and well around here. Dan White got banned because one particular "colorful" individual who tells "colorful" stories cried crocodile tears. An apology over essentially nothing wasn't enough, apparently. I guess the lure of censorship was too much to resist.

Funny enough, I turned the TV on to an episode of The Simpsons a couple of weeks ago, and Lisa said the exact same thing I said, only her comment was actually more direct and was said about Kelly Ann Conway.

Brian, FYI:

1. Spider has posted 35 times so far since coming back from his most recent ban. The vast majority, like maybe even 30 of them, contain abusive and/or aggressive language.

2. Spider was first banned in 2012 (at least that is the earliest on record). He just came off his most recent ban in 2017. I think it is a reasonable conclusion that he will never change. Consider as such in deciding to communicate with him. I ignored his posts for months at a time and it was a better environment. On the rare occasion he has to be corrected, like in this case.

3. Why he has not been permanently banned is a mystery. However, that is not my decision and it is not my website so I'm cool with how AZ mgmt decides to operate.

I was warned not to speak of people who were banned. Spider should heed that warning.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

[lurk mode on]

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow They are no where close to saying the same thing lol

Then you aren't reading each statement. Both simply say that to be "in the zone" the brain needs to be in an automatic mode where the player isn't really paying attention to aiming details -- he/she is just letting it happen without actually trying to make it happen. Eventually, regardless of whatever aiming method one uses, the brain will develop required muscle memory and visual recall to allow for moments of dead stroke. The more developed your skills become, the more often you'll find yourself in dead stroke. It doesn't matter what aiming system you use, it's not about the system or conscious steps involved in the system. It's about the awesome power of brain and body in perfect harmony without consciously trying to control everything.

Last edited:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[lurk mode off]

Nice to see revisionist history is still alive and well around here. Dan White got banned because one particular "colorful" individual who tells "colorful" stories cried crocodile tears. An apology over essentially nothing wasn't enough, apparently. I guess the lure of censorship was too much to resist.

Funny enough, I turned the TV on to an episode of The Simpsons a couple of weeks ago, and Lisa said the exact same thing I said, only her comment was actually more direct and was said about Kelly Ann Conway.

Brian, FYI:

1. Spider has posted 35 times so far since coming back from his most recent ban. The vast majority, like maybe even 30 of them, contain abusive and/or aggressive language.

2. Spider was first banned in 2012 (at least that is the earliest on record). He just came off his most recent ban in 2017. I think it is a reasonable conclusion that he will never change. Consider as such in deciding to communicate with him. I ignored his posts for months at a time and it was a better environment. On the rare occasion he has to be corrected, like in this case.

3. Why he has not been permanently banned is a mystery. However, that is not my decision and it is not my website so I'm cool with how AZ mgmt decides to operate.

I was warned not to speak of people who were banned. Spider should heed that warning.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

[lurk mode on]

Right back into the fight, lol

It funny people always talking about Justin and he is banned, one thread like a dozen people were calling the OP Justin. Seems like a pick and choose thing when its enforced

In one day this thread went from informative to clogged, argumentative and off topic.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right back into the fight, lol

It funny people always talking about Justin and he is banned, one thread like a dozen people were calling the OP Justin. Seems like a pick and choose thing when its enforced

In one day this thread went from informative to clogged, argumentative and off topic.

I miss PJ.

ballbanger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow it sure is hard on here to get info sometimes with the carrying on.
As soon as the blue man comes back to stir crap up and call people liars that's a big word really. And yes it was calmer and civil.

And then the troll comes out how sad.
QUOTE=Low500;6039345]Anybody at the tote windows got an over/under on the number of days for this one?
:wink:
:boring2:[/QUOTE]

And sure i don't post to much but some of you wow really like to try and read between the lines just for a piss war.

Keep up the good work Brian, you have been very respectful in your posts but for some reason they don't like your questions nothing wrong in my opinion. I know no one on here but i just have to say something the way they keep going on.
And i'm still using your poolology which i think is fantastic keep up the good work. cheers

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member

Well, well, well. Look who is back with a vengeance and who his first target is to START a FLAME WAR, DAN WHITE.

Good for you to finally be able to release all of your pent up hatred, hostility, and anger building up over the last month. Although, it's always been there for years.

Let's put things in proper perspective as to WHY you got banned. It was because MIKE MADE THE FOLLOWING POST:

AzHousePro
Administrator
11-11-2017, 06:28 PM

Dan, didn't I just post a warning a couple weeks ago asking you to stay out of CTE conversations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan White View Post

Pravda (or even CNN) would be proud of you. The people who have questions like this are the ones who HAVE taken it to the table. It souinds plausible, sort of, in theory, but when you get to the table it is like, WTF?

Can you answer my question about the near straight in shot in the other thread? I know probably I'll get an insult instead, but I'll take my chances.

But that wasn't your ORIGINAL post because YOU EDITED IT to say "Pravda (or even CNN) would be proud of you"

What you had originally was "JOSEPH GOEBBELS would have been proud of you"

So who was JOSEPH GOEBBELS?

Paul Joseph Goebbels - 29 October 1897 – 1 May 1945) was a German Nazi politician and Reich Minister of Propaganda of Nazi Germany from 1933 to 1945. He was one of Adolf Hitler's close associates and most devoted followers, and was known for his skills in public speaking and his deep, virulent antisemitism, which was evident in his publicly voiced views. He advocated progressively harsher discrimination, including the extermination of the Jews in the Holocaust.

I don't know what your purpose was for that which was either to link the other poster you were referring to as a NAZI himself who was in line with GOEBBEL'S views of extermination of Jews, or making a direct slur on the poster because I'm quite certain he IS JEWISH.

WHAT YOU SHOULD HAVE RECEIVED WAS A LIFETIME BAN!! I GUESS MIKE DIDN'T SEE YOUR ORIGINAL POST WITH JOSEPH GOEBBELS WRITTEN instead of PRAVDA OR CNN

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
[lurk mode off]

Brian, FYI:

Since you're counting, lets have some real fun and get the numbers straight.

I was banned on OCT. 23. I was gone and not instigating you or anyone else. Yet, you set a RECORD with number of posts in the AIMING FORUM which mostly had to do with CTE. The EXACT PLACE MIKE HOWERTON told you NOT TO POST!

You made 144 POSTS between Oct 23 and Nov.11 which was the day YOU WERE BANNED WITHOUT LITTLE OLD ME TO USE AS YOUR SCAPEGOAT FOR ANTAGONIZING YOU! YOU MADE 7 POSTS IN NPR FIGHTING WITH SOMEONE ELSE ABOUT GLOBAL WARMING.

You posted no place else in the entire forum other than to argue and fight with someone. What GALL!

Here's the breakdown on a daily basis in the aiming forum (CTE):
10-23: 5 Posts...10-24: 3 Posts and 6 in NPR...10-25: 8 Posts...10-26: 11 Posts...

10-27: 12 Posts...10-28: 8 Posts...10-29: 11 Posts...10-30: 12 Posts...10-31: 17 Post

11-1: 17 Posts...11-2: 3 Posts and 1 in NPR...11-3: 17 Posts...11-4: 0 Posts...

11-5: 5 Posts...11-6: 2 Posts...11-7: 1 Post...11-8: 0 Posts...11-9: 5 Posts...

11-10: 3 Posts...11-11: 4 Posts and WHAMMO!! BAN DATE!!144 POSTS in 20 days in the AIMING FORUM of CTE THREADS.

You should have been banned PERMANENTLY for your Joseph Goebbel's reference as well as banned numerous times previously which was a mystery to me and why I made the comment I did in an ill fated post that got me banned. And YES it is Mike Howerton's website and his decisions.

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow it sure is hard on here to get info sometimes with the carrying on.
As soon as the blue man comes back to stir crap up and call people liars that's a big word really. And yes it was calmer and civil.

And then the troll comes out how sad.
QUOTE=Low500;6039345]Anybody at the tote windows got an over/under on the number of days for this one?
:wink:
:boring2:
And sure i don't post to much but some of you wow really like to try and read between the lines just for a piss war.

Keep up the good work Brian, you have been very respectful in your posts but for some reason they don't like your questions nothing wrong in my opinion. I know no one on here but i just have to say something the way they keep going on.
And i'm still using your poolology which i think is fantastic keep up the good work. cheers

Thanks. Here's a neat thing to do...... Use the shaft edge to ob contact point on a few shots and compare your aim line with the fractional aim Poolology would recommend for the same shots. There is a certain angle range where the shaft edge to contact point is accurate. As the shot gets thicker you need to start using other portions of your tip/shaft to make it work. As the shot gets thinner you need to use a different ref than the contact point to make it work. Still, by comparing the known aim line as determined by the Poolology system, figuring out how the thin and thick adjustments for shaft aiming is fairly simple.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
This is my last response to your pot stirring tactics....

I don't appreciate YOUR pot stirring tactic above to antagonize me. You, like Dan, always portray yourselves as the "innocent" ones and the "victims". You have a SLICK way of posting Brian but it's the same as what I do only different.

I did have DVD1 years ago, and stated that here a few months back.. I didn't buy the dvd from Stan though, but I had it for about a week then sold it on eBay. I've watched every one of Stan's YouTube clips, multiple times, I've read every instruction on Mohrt's website, multiple times. I've spent several hours trying to follow the exact steps as outlined. Not until I stumbled onto someone's advice about starting with straight-in shots to learn the manual pivot did I finally understand how to do it. Then, out of curiosity, I took my learning of it beyond the simple visuals to figure out exactly how it works, mathematically.

I contacted a Ph.D. math wizard years ago to work out the math and he gave up. Yet here you are stating you solved all of it and it doesn't work. What is your degree in? What you did isn't even close to figuring anything out but you certainly think so and are trying to convince everyone else. NOPE!

I'm finished with all that now.

Right, I've heard that story before from you and the other musketeers. Yet here you are bringing it up again.

I will purchase Stan's book out of respect for his work.

I don't think Stan feels you're doing him any favor nor gives a damn by buying his book. What it will turn out to be by all of you is more nitpicking and an attempt at destruction.

I know what goes into putting a book together, whether it's 100 pages or 300 pages, it's quite an accomplishment and he deserves recognition and support.

You certainly haven't given him or CTE any support up to this point. And the more I get into your fractional aiming process I see where I could vaporize a lot of what's in there.

I will not be purchasing Samba. Based or your Samba comments it sounded interesting. But based on other comments it sounds far too time-consuming and way too involved. And that's no slam to Ekkes because from what I can tell he is fabulous. I am also not interested in studying any more pivot-based systems -- too many variables to consider. And that's no slam to those who prefer pivoting systems.

Whoa there pardner. Who cares what others said about it. I THOUGHT YOU WERE ALL ABOUT LEARNING AND BROADENING YOUR HORIZONS. That's what you said.

Years ago I was interested in becoming a BCA instructor, and now that I've published a book and have started helping other players improve, that interest has returned. I've already contacted Shane Tyree with the PBIA and I'll be pursuing my certification in 2018. I believe it'll be a great learning opportunity. This is the reason I ask a lot of questions and probe with comments concerning various aiming systems/techniques. I enjoy learning, but like anyone else I am somewhat selective on what I choose to learn, what I choose to spend my time on, and what I choose to believe.

Maybe you should just keep it to yourself then. Which for right now is why I'm going to do just that with your fractional aiming.

Don't forget what you said in the beginning of this post and elsewhere about being done posting to me. Be a man of your word.