Sharks International 9 Ball Open (24-29 July), Philippines, Prize Fund $100K

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
why couldn't they fit the final in today? just start the semis earlier...

either way, impressive by feliciano to go this deep. even if ko is big favorite to win, the story for me is the depth of the filipino field
Good storyline here. The seasoned tourney pro vs. the Pinoy backroom champion.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the time clock a lot. 30 seconds per shot, with one extension per game. The extension, however, is only 10 seconds.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish they had a live audience. It was like the Doha World Championships. Ko won, and there was not a single clap.

The play was excellent.

891014+1

Well, this as been a great tournament!
Nothing new at the pool scene: pinoys are all so good that it is impossible, as always as been, to say from the beginning which one of them would be most far at the tournament. If we research all important rotation world tournaments history even Efrén Reyes almost always lost whenever he draw other Philippine player...
Ko winning was not a surprise, from his side of the draw it had several top notch players, that is the highest level of pool at the world, so, congrats to him for confirming the favorite odds.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice payday for Lil Ko. Good job. $30K easily biggest first prize for a ranking event. Most Matchroom WNT ranking events pay not more than $10K.
Predator Pro Billiard series (10 ball) ranking events pay more but usually not more than $20K

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The final was pretty good. Ko made a couple of huge mistakes early, and played almost perfect, after that. Micheal was really rolling, then he kind of lost his break, for a couple of racks. He got it back, but scratched twice, on bad flukes. IIRC, he gave Ko ball in hand, after the break four times. Tough to fade that.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The final was pretty good. Ko made a couple of huge mistakes early, and played almost perfect, after that. Micheal was really rolling, then he kind of lost his break, for a couple of racks. He got it back, but scratched twice, on bad flukes. IIRC, he gave Ko ball in hand, after the break four times. Tough to fade that.
I did commentary on Ko's last four matches, from the Round of Sixteen forward. He played solid, steady and consistent .800+ pool all the way. He rarely failed to run out if he had an open rack and once he got in line he stayed in line. All marks of a very good player.

He maintained an even disposition and temperment at all times and never showed any negative emotion. I look for all these characteritics when commenting on a player,'s overall game. This still young man (27) has become one of our sports top players through the past decade of battling the games premier players. Now he is truly one of them.

14 of the final 16 were Pinoy players and not one big name among them. Dennis, Carlo, Lee Vann, James, Chua, Warren, Francisco all gone by then. Testament to the depth of pool talent to be found here.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
He maintained an even disposition and temperment at all times and never showed any negative emotion. I look for all these characteritics when commenting on a player,'s overall game. This still young man (27) has become one of our sports top players through the past decade of battling the games premier players. Now he is truly one of them.
Any suggestion that Ko Ping Chung "arrived" this week is in error. By 2019, he had two bronzes in the World 9-ball, a gold and a bronze at the World 10-ball, and a silver at the China Open. He has been one of the game's most elite players for quite some time now.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Any suggestion that Ko Ping Chung "arrived" this week is in error. By 2019, he had two bronzes in the World 9-ball, a gold and a bronze at the World 10-ball, and a silver at the China Open. He has been one of the game's most elite players for quite some time now.
I stand corrected