Shooting with extra equipment on the table

longhair

Boyd Porter-Reynolds
Silver Member
I hope this sort of thing is interesting to at least a few of you. I am constantly encountering new stuff I'm not sure of.

A few days ago I was playing a match, this time with a VERY good and experienced player, when he did something I'd never seen.

He had two balls lady, both outside the rack but close to the foot spot. He put the rack on the table to help him judge the position. He left it there as he shot his 14th ball and got shape for the break shot.

Nothing hit the rack during the shot so I said nothing and he continued. It's only a league match, it didn't change the outcome, and it's a pleasure to watch him play. No harm done.

After the match a few players discussed the issue and I claimed that in a refereed match this would be a foul. Others disagreed.

Opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I hope this sort of thing is interesting to at least a few of you. I am constantly encountering new stuff I'm not sure of.

A few days ago I was playing a match, this time with a VERY good and experienced player, when he did something I'd never seen.

He had two balls lady, both outside the rack but close to the foot spot. He put the rack on the table to help him judge the position. He left it there as he shot his 14th ball and got shape for the break shot.

Nothing hit the rack during the shot so I said nothing and he continued. It's only a league match, it didn't change the outcome, and it's a pleasure to watch him play. No harm done.

After the match a few players discussed the issue and I claimed that in a refereed match this would be a foul. Others disagreed.

Opinions?

I am sure that Professor Jewett will give us the definitive answer, although he may just tell us to read the rules.

My gut tells me no way in hell can you leave the rack on the table.

Last edited:

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member

Opinions?

In the league that i run, i dont even allow the player to layer the rack on the table to judge weather or not a ball is in the rack.

the player can hold the rack over the rack area though to get a visual.

so i would say in this situation that this would be a foul.

-Steve

Lynch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In this league that I play in, it is the same way with not being allowed to touch the table with the rack. Holding the rack over the table is fine. I wasn't sure if this was just our in-house rule or more universal. It sounds like the later.

In the league that i run, i dont even allow the player to layer the rack on the table to judge weather or not a ball is in the rack.

the player can hold the rack over the rack area though to get a visual.

so i would say in this situation that this would be a foul.

-Steve

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure it is against the rules although it is hard for me to envision a scenario where a top player would need to do that or gain a benefit.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The player should not touch the rack. On the other hand, the outline of the rack is required to be drawn on the table. If you ignore the latter rule, you're on your own on the first. Personally I see no reason to forbid placement of the rack on the table if the outline is missing provided no ball is touched. Leaving the rack on the table for a shot should not be allowed and could be considered a form of marking the table.

One related thing that happens is that sometimes a player will get the bridge out and then decide not to use it but leave it on the table while he shoots. I think there is no problem with this.

mnhighrunlist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have a "house rule" in our league that you can use the rack to check if balls would be in the rack area due to the fact we do not have rack outlines drawn on the tables.

I certainly agree that leaving the rack on the table while shooting should be a foul.

-Dennis

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
To the best of my knowledge if there is no outline marked on the table for the rack you are allowed to place the rack on the table, but no way are you allowed to leave it there while shooting

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
No reason why, when so many players are hunting for ridiculous new gimmicks for their cue cases, that they shouldn't include something practical like one of these things ... look how inexpensive they are! :) and one will most likely last forever. And that's if you want to splurge. The soapstone without the holder only is about 20 cents.

And they rub right off as well so the room owner won't be mad. These are an absolute must for both straight pool and 1 pocket games IMO.

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While we're talking about laying things on the table... It is OK to use your cue to measure an angle or distance AS LONG AS you do not let go of your cue. If you lay it down and let go, using it as a measuring tool, it is a foul.

Is it a foul to put your beer in the corner pocket while you shoot? ;)

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
No reason why, when so many players are hunting for ridiculous new gimmicks for their cue cases, that they shouldn't include something practical like one of these things ... look how inexpensive they are! :) and one will most likely last forever. And that's if you want to splurge. The soapstone without the holder only is about 20 cents.

And they rub right off as well so the room owner won't be mad. These are an absolute must for both straight pool and 1 pocket games IMO.

Very cool! Will need to pick a few up for the league.

:thumbup:

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The player should not touch the rack. On the other hand, the outline of the rack is required to be drawn on the table. If you ignore the latter rule, you're on your own on the first. Personally I see no reason to forbid placement of the rack on the table if the outline is missing provided no ball is touched. Leaving the rack on the table for a shot should not be allowed and could be considered a form of marking the table.

One related thing that happens is that sometimes a player will get the bridge out and then decide not to use it but leave it on the table while he shoots. I think there is no problem with this.

Agreed and well stated sir...

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Very cool! Will need to pick a few up for the league.

:thumbup:

Yes, they are very useful. Before you use it, put it on either a grindstone or course sandpaper and file / sand the point to a sharp edge like a carpenter's pencil so it won't interfere with the rack as you outline it. :thumbup: Also, an fyi, to draw a quick line from the footspot to the center of the end rail for lining up balls, a cue shaft will work if you take your time and align the shaft edge on both ends. Both outlines are done in no time at all. They don't have to be dark, just have to be there.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

When marking the cloth, should I trace the inside or outside of the rack?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When marking the cloth, should I trace the inside or outside of the rack?
The outside. The line is supposed to tell you when you can't rack because the 15th ball is in the way. Drawing the line on the inside of the rack wouldn't tell you that.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Yes, they are very useful. Before you use it, put it on either a grindstone or course sandpaper and file / sand the point to a sharp edge like a carpenter's pencil so it won't interfere with the rack as you outline it. :thumbup: Also, an fyi, to draw a quick line from the footspot to the center of the end rail for lining up balls, a cue shaft will work if you take your time and align the shaft edge on both ends. Both outlines are done in no time at all. They don't have to be dark, just have to be there.

I got them in the mail this weekend. Used a sharp knife to sharpen it somewhat. Worked pretty good on my home table. I will bring it to the pool hall and use it there, where it is actually needed. Who knows. Maybe I will start a trend. I picked up 5 of them just in case.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I got a tailor's/dressmaker's chalk pencil from a local arts and crafts store (JoAnn's?). It is refillable in various colors. I just looked to see if it was still sold but I can't find it any more.

You can get solid chalk pencils from the UK. You sharpen them like regular pencils.

The local pool hall lets me mark the table as long as I mostly remove the marking when I leave.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I got a tailor's/dressmaker's chalk pencil from a local arts and crafts store (JoAnn's?). It is refillable in various colors. I just looked to see if it was still sold but I can't find it any more.

You can get solid chalk pencils from the UK. You sharpen them like regular pencils.

The local pool hall lets me mark the table as long as I mostly remove the marking when I leave.

Bob: I bought some tailor's chalk based on your recommendation. It came in a big oddly shaped piece. The soapstone pencil above, does seem to work ok. Maybe I will also check out the tailor's pencil from the uk.

Attachments

• soapstone pencil.JPG
    soapstone pencil.JPG
    5.8 KB · Views: 126

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I got them in the mail this weekend. Used a sharp knife to sharpen it somewhat. Worked pretty good on my home table. I will bring it to the pool hall and use it there, where it is actually needed. Who knows. Maybe I will start a trend. I picked up 5 of them just in case.

Debuted the soapstone triangle during league night at Red Shoes yesterday. Easy to apply, worked like a dream.

I asked the owner after I was done whether he wanted me to leave it or wipe it off. Bobby Hunter was there at the time. He said the triangle should be drawn on all the tables. Lavin said I could leave it on.

I think we may have started something.