Siming Chen

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
The 2 are not even remotely similar

Yes, they are. Folks are saying there should NOT be any advantage in pool because strength, endurance, etc is so minimal. Chess is not even minimal, it's not existence.

So, tell us why men completely dominate the chess board? And if you find out why, you might find out the reason it's so in pool.

Other sports, baseball, football, etc, physical differences come into play... even though the one of the best hitters in all of baseball right now is 5'5" tall, and weighs all of 165 pounds.

8ballr

Banned
Perhaps one reason why women don't reach the same level of pool as men is there just aren't enough hours in the day to fit in pool with laundry and dishes.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
and poker...

Good point. Not sure why that is either. There quite a few good woman players, and I liked to watch some of the women's events. I did notice they were not nearly as aggressive as the men, and bluffed a LOT less.

And I play a lot of poker and I really hate getting a super aggressive guy on my left. Just sucks. And now a days, these young poker dudes are ALL super aggressive ;)

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good point. Not sure why that is either. There quite a few good woman players, and I liked to watch some of the women's events. I did notice they were not nearly as aggressive as the men, and bluffed a LOT less.

And I play a lot of poker and I really hate getting a super aggressive guy on my left. Just sucks. And now a days, these young poker dudes are ALL super aggressive ;)

My ex daughter-in-law is a good poker player, and she managed to get into a grudge match with some super obnoxious guy--a guy who exemplifies some reasons poker may be less welcoming to women than it could be...

https://www.pokertube.com/article/cate-hall-is-awesome-this-is-why

Hojokid33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ratings system

I've skimmed over a lot of the posts on here, but the OP statement about who play who the same speed is maybe one of the dumbest things I've heard. Fact is top females
Do not play the same speed as top men, not even close. Just a few comparisons Chen is like 783 or something, I looked on the fargorate page, I could be giving old info so sorry in advance.
This is just listing a few , if anyone thinks That this 783 female plays the same as this list, I feel sorry for you, only 1 has higher rating by 3 points.

Deuel-775
Morra-788
Woodward-780
Hatch-722
Thorpe-759
Roberts-762

Reactions: KRJ

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've skimmed over a lot of the posts on here, but the OP statement about who play who the same speed is maybe one of the dumbest things I've heard. Fact is top females
Do not play the same speed as top men, not even close. Just a few comparisons Chen is like 783 or something, I looked on the fargorate page, I could be giving old info so sorry in advance.
This is just listing a few , if anyone thinks That this 783 female plays the same as this list, I feel sorry for you, only 1 has higher rating by 3 points.

Deuel-775
Morra-788
Woodward-780
Hatch-722
Thorpe-759
Roberts-762

Yes, this is the issue. Here are two questions for you.

Imagine a match that is a 5-ahead set of races to 11. It will be played 6 hours a day until done.

(1) How many games do you think these players on average would need to spot Karen Corr in those races to 11 so that you feel like you wouldn't know which way to bet?

(2) Same question for Siming Chen against Karen Corr

I am curious what anybody's answers are for these two questions.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Imagine a match that is a 5-ahead set of races to 11. It will be played 6 hours a day until done.

(1) How many games do you think these players on average would need to spot Karen Corr in those races to 11 so that you feel like you wouldn't know which way to bet?

These are my personal gut feelings, not based on the fargo of any of the players, for the 6 sets ahead scenario you described.

1) Vs Karen, I think each of those male players spots her 4 games on the wire race to 11, to make it a coin flip today. Vs Karen 20 years ago, it would be 3 games on the wire.

2) Karen vs Siming, I think today, Siming spots Karen 1 game on the wire race to 11. Today's Siming vs 20 years ago Karen, I think Karen spots her one game racing to 11.

Hojokid33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

1. The players I listed above would win an 5 ahead set races to 11 every time over any woman, the woman you are referencing too, could beat them in a couple of races to 11 , but it's only a matter of time before the list I mentioned gets to 5 ahead, in races to 11. If had to make a line to where the top female had say 50/50 chance to win a 5 ahead set of races to 11, I would guess she would need like 2-4 games on wire going to 11 to make it gambling. I'm sure Chen is legit and can play, but not as good as the list. The example you have isn't really realistic though, when top males matchup in 10 ball for like say 10k or more, they typically always play long races, or ahead sets since most time the better player will win.

2. Not going to compare corr to Chen. I just know that if either of those females played that list in a race to 100 ten ball even, or like say 10 ahead or more, they would never win.

Last edited:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If all the tournaments I entered had a bunch of D players then my Fargo Rate would also be a 782.

P.S. I play even with Shane VanBoening, he doesn't know it yet though because we've never played a game together.

You clearly do not understand how fargo ratings work.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you think this young lady's rating would be as high as it is if she were sharing the table with Orcullo, SVB, Alex, Thorsten, etc on the reg?

I think Mike Page demonstrated this pretty conclusively within Karen Corr. He compared her performance *only* vs men and *only* vs women. The rating was within a couple points. So the answer is yes, her rating would be very very close. Someone rated 726 as she is will lose more often than win against the players you mentioned.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

driz86

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, they are. Folks are saying there should NOT be any advantage in pool because strength, endurance, etc is so minimal. Chess is not even minimal, it's not existence.

So, tell us why men completely dominate the chess board? And if you find out why, you might find out the reason it's so in pool.

Other sports, baseball, football, etc, physical differences come into play... even though the one of the best hitters in all of baseball right now is 5'5" tall, and weighs all of 165 pounds.

The institution of Chess makes it an unwelcoming possibility for women to even start in. That's why there's such a disparity. Women are just as smart as men

Rhea

Retired Road Player
Silver Member
Congrats to her for making the most money from tournaments in 2018 so far of any human being. Also congrats to her for improving her own fargorate by 7 points and jumping into #28 in the entire world, she will probably be the first female to reach 820 when she hits her peak