Smorg... AKA Doug

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear this, RIP Smorg.

Like 99% of us here, I've never met Doug or even know his real name, for that matter. Even still, I've read his posts since 2000 or so when I lurked RSB. I still remember his sharp witted humor and even though some didn't appreciate it, I got a kick out it. Since Smorg moved to AZB, he's become a kinder, gentler Smorg, but just as funny. "Great sense of humor" will be the way I'll remember Doug. Godspeed.

Eric

Melissa Herndon

Pro Player
Silver Member
Each of us will remember you in our own special way. Smorg - you made me laugh out loud, and you are so loved by all that it's hard not to simply smile when someone says your name. I'd say RIP...but hopefully you aren't resting....you're up there kicking ass and taking names!

Melissa

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Like many others, I came to know Doug on the old rsb forums. I was a lurker for a long time. I remember reading his 'Bob" story and really enjoyed seeing it again. My buddy, Thomas Wayne mentioned him and I started watching and reading.

Smorgie will always be remembered. He was funny as hell - and always had that 'webtv' on his posts. BUT he was also pretty down to earth and had a lot of wisedom.

I got to meet him twice - once at the Planet 9-ball around Oct. 2004. I also saw him in New Orleans (I think that is where it was).

He treated me nicely (although posted and asked what the line was on me?!?!?!?). We did not play but we had fun.

He will be missed and I wish Barbara the best in these times.
He had a lot of true friends - and that is the mark of a good man.

Mark Griffin

shinigami

Consistently Inconsistent
Silver Member
R.I.P Doug. I'm a lurker so you don't know me, but you have my utmost respect. Your inputs will be sorely missed :(

Bill O

at the 5 ball
Silver Member
My friend is gone

Sorry to hear this, RIP Smorg.

Like 99% of us here, I've never met Doug or even know his real name, for that matter. Even still, I've read his posts since 2000 or so when I lurked RSB. I still remember his sharp witted humor and even though some didn't appreciate it, I got a kick out it. Since Smorg moved to AZB, he's become a kinder, gentler Smorg, but just as funny. "Great sense of humor" will be the way I'll remember Doug. Godspeed.
Eric

He enjoyed being anonymous, I enjoyed his friendship for a year before I was graced with his full real name and address :) Over the years we shared many a pitcher at Planet 9 ball and going out to dinner with him and Barb was always a treat. In real life he was generous, warm and charming and just as funny as his posts.

MrSchon9

once a month banger
Silver Member
I didn't know him other than his posts But I enjoyed them very much. R.I.P. Smorg !

Ron O'Meara

baji314

14.1 trainee
Silver Member
my sincerest and deepest condolences..I do not know him nor have met Doug personally, but from what I read, he is a stand up guy.

He will truly be missed

Vaya con Dios Doug

cueball1950

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
R.i.p.

this truly saddens me even though i never had the pleasure of meeting him in person. My condolences and my prayers go out to him and his family. May he sit at the right hand of God and watch down over us that are left down here. Rest in peace Doug.................mike

Mark0

You'll be missed

I can't remember the number of times Smorg busted me at work when I was trying to sneak in a little usenet. I'd be stealthily reading along and then 'viola' I'm laughing out loud. Dannnng it!

We're all diminished by your passing Doug. Godspeed.

-Mark0

=-=-=

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
I never knew Smorg personally, but I've known him online for over 10 years starting back in the ASP/RSB days. He had a completely different persona on RSB than on AZ, I enjoyed his presence with either persona but maybe the rough and tumble RSB Smorg a little more.
His passing represents a loss to the online community.
Steve.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Doug did not have a completely different persona on RSB. He got into more flame wars because there were more flamers on RSB. But he was the same guy with the same funny lines at the right time.

Here Doug liked to play the rep game - it made him happy and was his source of fun. Lets all stop with backhanded bashing and just enjoy the great guy that he was. No matter what was typed 10 years ago in the heat of battle the point is that there are many who knew him personally, who met him, and who really enjoyed his company in real life as well as online.

SmorgassBored was his name and his personality was one of a kind.

And to the crazy scary Barbararachnid wife I hope that you are holding up well.

Again, goodbye Smorg, people will come across your funny stuff for a long time to come and you'll still be getting chuckles and LOLs and some ROTFLMAOs for decades.

I miss you already and this just sucks.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Doug did not have a completely different persona on RSB. He got into more flame wars because there were more flamers on RSB. But he was the same guy with the same funny lines at the right time.

Here Doug liked to play the rep game - it made him happy and was his source of fun. Lets all stop with backhanded bashing and just enjoy the great guy that he was. No matter what was typed 10 years ago in the heat of battle the point is that there are many who knew him personally, who met him, and who really enjoyed his company in real life as well as online.

Again, goodbye Smorg, people will come across your funny stuff for a long time to come and you'll still be getting chuckles and LOLs and some ROTFLMAOs for decades.

I agree with your post. Doug was very funny and witty when he and the rest of us particpated on the newsgroup rec.sport.billiard. RSB was a non moderated forum and flame wars were tolerated, stoked and even encouraged.

AZ Billiards is a far better forum than that of RSB even before the arrival of "the one".

The lack of tolerance of bad behavior on AZ Billiards is something I am proud to be a part of. Pocket billiard enthusiasts at least in this forum have become a bit more civilized and it is reflected in the manner in which they treat one another.

Doug was an instrumental part of the current makeup of AZ Billiards Main Forum and his place in the AZBilliards Hall of Fame is well deserved.

JoeyA

George

Balance is everything
Silver Member

I think you misunderstood Steve.......he wasn't bashing Smorg at all. Reread it John and I think you'll get it. I think his point was that Dougs wit and sense of humor shined even more in the open format that is RSB. I know he meant nothing negative towards the Smorgster. I've met Steve and you'd be hard pressed to find a nicer guy anywhere.

I miss him too, this really does suck.