Snooker player Shaun Murphy says Amateurs shouldnt be allowed to play with pros....

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In related news, the defending champion, Neil Robertson, was just smashed out of the tournament by "amateur" John Astley. The score was 6-2.

Golf has clung to an ancient definition of "amateur". In snooker is just means you are not officially on the pro tour. It has nothing to do with having ever accepted prize money. Remember when the Olympics were entirely "amateur"?
Well, in golf its pretty clear. I guess i like 'ancient' then. Amateur means its not your way of making a living. Pretty simple in my book.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Judd Trump was asked about it and said something that translates to, "you gotta be f****** joking, what's the problem, I don't complain about the opponent in front of me - he can be on the tour or he can be a local hero added to make it up to 128 players - just beat him (or her) and if you don't then go home". Trump has never been my favourite personality but all credit to him.

Very disappointing to see Mark Selby agreeing with Murphy - he happily took up an invitation to play in a top tier Chinese Pool tournament yet thinks that professional snooker players should get a bye in the first round if the tournament is short of players. When my son was 5 he had more maturity and more respect for "the other person" than these guys. Murphy comes across as spoiled, immature, resentful (about nothing) - and that's just the start of it. Snooker has a pro tour, like many other sports and that's a strength of the game, but when tour pros moan about places being made up they should be fined and warned.

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Judd Trump was asked about it and said something that translates to, "you gotta be f****** joking, what's the problem, I don't complain about the opponent in front of me - he can be on the tour or he can be a local hero added to make it up to 128 players - just beat him (or her) and if you don't then go home". Trump has never been my favourite personality but all credit to him.

Very disappointing to see Mark Selby agreeing with Murphy - he happily took up an invitation to play in a top tier Chinese Pool tournament yet thinks that professional snooker players should get a bye in the first round if the tournament is short of players. When my son was 5 he had more maturity and more respect for "the other person" than these guys. Murphy comes across as spoiled, immature, resentful (about nothing) - and that's just the start of it. Snooker has a pro tour, like many other sports and that's a strength of the game, but when tour pros moan about places being made up they should be fined and warned.
There's only 122 pros on the tour this season, and most tournaments start at 128. There's no alternative, unless the were to repeatedly give 6 players a bye to round 2, which Murphy would probably also moan about (unless he was one of the 6 of course, then it would be fine). They've always topped up with the top rated amateurs.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's only 122 pros on the tour this season, and most tournaments start at 128. There's no alternative, unless the were to repeatedly give 6 players a bye to round 2, which Murphy would probably also moan about (unless he was one of the 6 of course, then it would be fine). They've always topped up with the top rated amateurs.
Apparently, Americans dont hold the patent on bitching and whining like I thought w did! Lol

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hahahaha! Ronnie O'Sullivan thinks Shaun Murphy should go get a job:

While the likes of Neil Robertson and Mark Williams have backed Murphy over his complaints, O’Sullivan is less sympathetic. “I hope it gets worse, honestly. I hope it gets worse for them,” said O’Sullivan. "They better start looking for a job if they don’t like it. I drew a line under it a long time ago. I can change what I do, that’s what I’m saying to Murphy, go and get a job, do something else, play snooker for fun because you’re going to have loads more of that. Get your head around it, you’ve got choices to make. Five or six years ago I made a real conscious effort to play for fun and just enjoy it. I went and got a job and played this for a hobby."

Read more here: RONNIE O'SULLIVAN TELLS BEATEN SHAUN MURPHY TO GET ANOTHER JOB AFTER UK CHAMPIONSHIP RANT

33.JPG

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the way, in case anyone is wondering why there's no UK Championship snooker matches today, I found out that BBC is coming to film the tournament from here on in, and they needed a day to make the transition from the other broadcaster (I think Eurosport).

5566.JPG

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
By the way, in case anyone is wondering why there's no UK Championship snooker matches today, I found out that BBC is coming to film the tournament from here on in, and they needed a day to make the transition from the other broadcaster (I think Eurosport).

View attachment 617767
Heh heh, I got up and brewed my coffee expecting to turn on Matchroom and see what match was up. Drat!

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

While the likes of Neil Robertson and Mark Williams have backed Murphy over his complaints, O’Sullivan is less sympathetic. “I hope it gets worse, honestly. I hope it gets worse for them,” said O’Sullivan. "They better start looking for a job if they don’t like it. I drew a line under it a long time ago. I can change what I do, that’s what I’m saying to Murphy, go and get a job, do something else, play snooker for fun because you’re going to have loads more of that. Get your head around it, you’ve got choices to make. Five or six years ago I made a real conscious effort to play for fun and just enjoy it. I went and got a job and played this for a hobby."

Read more here: RONNIE O'SULLIVAN TELLS BEATEN SHAUN MURPHY TO GET ANOTHER JOB AFTER UK CHAMPIONSHIP RANT

View attachment 617766
I read the whole article. Gotta love Ronnie. He is basically telling Shaun he better sharpen up his skills. The young guns are coming.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Link to Swighey's quote...

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I’m disappointed in Murphy....and I’m disappointed in Robertson and Selby for siding with him.
But I’m really disappointed in Mark Williams, who I felt has the best attitude of all the pros.

If you lose to somebody, shake his hand and go lick your wounds in private..or maybe work on your game.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Evidently we are doing Wikipedia Wars. That page now reads:

As a amateur, Si beat Shaun Murphy in the first round of the 2021 UK Championship. Murphy commented, "he [Si] played like a man who does not have a care in the world, because he does not have a care in the world. It is not fair, it is not right. I am not picking on him as a young man, he deserved his victory. Amateurs should not be allowed in professional tournaments, the end. This is our livelihood. This is how I put food on the table. This is how I earn money. Since turning professional at 15, I have earned the right to call myself a professional snooker player. He hasn't done that. He shouldn't be on the table." Shaun made these comments despite playing the 1998 Doc Marten's European League as a 13 year old boy, as his dad Tony had negotiated the sponsorship deal for the WPBSA.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

View attachment 617766
Poor baby Shaun! Although it doesn't look like he's missed many meals. Maybe he needs a good cry and a hug from his mother.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Poor baby Shaun! Although it doesn't look like he's missed many meals. Maybe he needs a good cry and a hug from his mother.

When I was 16 and beating all the adults in the pool hall where I worked, they whined and moaned, too.

However, when I went into bars where nobody knew me, everybody ”knows” they can beat a “kid” and I used to get all their money if they stayed with me long enough.

Last edited: