So what's the deal with glove hatred in the pool room?

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I built a pool table in high school shop class. It was set up in an abandoned house that still had electricity and a wood stove for heat. In the winter, my friends and I would wear the yellow work gloves due to the cold (the stove took a long time to heat the place).

I never thought about wearing the gloves at the bars. Probably would not have had a good response either. My first cue got some reaction from some who thought I was thinking too highly of myself, or was crazy to spend $70 on a cue.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a word, it's homophobia. That's all. Those insecure with their own masculinity are the first to point fingers at something not in line with "he-man traditional male values," and refer to it as "gay."

I have a set of Nancy Cote's FingerSlides in my cue case for those days when the humidity is beyond the realm of talc or corn starch. I don't wear them all the time, because I like the freedom to switch hands (ambidexterity) to shoot shots opposite-handed when I need to.

-Sean

No it's not homophobia, the younger generation frequently uses the term to describe something that just wasn't good.

Examples...
"That movie was so gay. It made no sense at all"
"Why did he use outside english? The cue ball left a really gay shot on the nine"

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah we have been guilty of picking on one of our players for wearing a glove. Think it was the color. Either pink or bright blue. If I wore one I might try black.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Enough with the gay highjack. I'd like to see a dress code even for regional codes. Any tour. Take a look how most are dressed on the Great Southern Tour for example. Johnnyt

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you say we, are you speaking on behalf of others?

Could it be that Mitch was just funning a little, in fact, much milder than we see on tv sitcoms these days?

I'm really not sure whether or not he was but just putting it out there.

best,
brian kc

When I say we, I am certainly excluding you, because you don't seem to get it.

No it's not homophobia, the younger generation frequently uses the term to describe something that just wasn't good.

Examples...
"That movie was so gay. It made no sense at all"
"Why did he use outside english? The cue ball left a really gay shot on the nine"

The younger generation is ignorant. They are describing "something that just wasn't good," because "Gay" is viewed as something wrong.

I'll end my conversation here. No need for this to become NPR.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
When I say we, I am certainly excluding you, because you don't seem to get it.

The younger generation is ignorant. They are describing "something that just wasn't good," because "Gay" is viewed as something wrong.

I'll end my conversation here. No need for this to become NPR.

easy tiger, I'm not your enemy. :)

think back, not too long ago about how racy and taboo saying something "sucks" was.

Now, it's part of our daily conversations, daytime family tv, yes, even kids use it.

I think some words evolve to have more than one meaning or become less offensive, rightly or wrongly, like it or not.

imo

best,
brian kc

Jodacus

Shoot...don't talk
Silver Member
Offended?

That is the other side of the coin of freedom of speech.

There is no "right" to not be offended. There is always
a cost to a benefit.

I am offended by the stupidity of people all of the time
but I neither need nor want someone to protect me from
it. I'm a big boy and can take care of myself. No need
of a nanny.

Being offended is a large part of the grievance industry
that is kept alive by the snake oil salesmen.

Joe

Last edited:

Rasputin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Straight guy playing in a gay bar explain that to the wife

Those places are always the most fun. Doesn't the name say so?
(And then there's all the gay sex as well. That's a nice change every once in a while.)

PS. Best thread ever.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Because stereotypically gay men would have soft hands and not need a glove, men who work hard and have rough, calloused, scarred up hands benefit very much from a glove (welder/fabricator speaking here). calling gloves gay lacks logic. I wouldnt use one at a bar because of the ignorant comments, but i also wouldnt take my custom to the bar. i dont use my good cue without a glove if i can at all help it

Same occupation here. I feel my callouses prevent my hands from being sticky. I never have a problem with sweaty hands or sticky cues, only problem I have is my hands reducing my shaft diameter to the equivalent of a toothpick. When working with low temper sheet aluminum I tape it up to prevent my fingers from actually scratching/marring the unprotected surface.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regarding the glove; I would guess most of us have seen "that guy" that has the glove and a cuetec and has the wood 9 ball rack and he can't run 3 balls but thinks he's awesome and wants to help you out with your stroke or whatever. So, IMO, that one guy can give a bad reputation to all glove wearers.

I'd never worn one (live in Colorado and super dry) until BCA Nationals last year in Vegas where it was VERY humid. Didn't really care for not feeling the cue on my fingers but just personal preference.

Regarding the "gay"... I don't love to be offended so doesn't bother me what people say.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wear the finger slides year round. It makes the feel between my fingers and cue consistent. If somebody doesn't like it where I'm playing, honestly, they can KMA.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I saw wear a glove if it helps you. Who cares? If your poolroom is like mine most of the old dudes in there have a lot of old school experience so they think anything new or out of the box to try to help you improve your game is weird or unnecessary. Ignore them and be new school if it helps you.

Banks

Banned
Don't let people get on your case for wearing a glove. If they do, just stuff that bad boy into your Spanx and ask them to step outside. :eek:

TCo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Enough with the gay highjack. I'd like to see a dress code even for regional codes. Any tour. Take a look how most are dressed on the Great Southern Tour for example. Johnnyt

ha! wrong thread back atcha :wink: unless of course you mean color coordinating it with your dress-code compliant outfit.

If the glove fits (and matches) wear it.

ssbn610g

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use to think wearing a glove was not a good idea. However, with the advent of arthritis in my bridge hand, I tried one and have not looked back since. It tends to keep my hand warmer which seems to help in addition to the slight compression on the hand. In addition, one of the problems I had when I didn't wear a glove was my index finger didn't wrap very tightly around the cue shaft allowing it to move a bit and if I tightened the loop the shaft did not slide as well as I would have liked. Now with the glove I have a tighter loop around the cue shaft with little restriction. I don't believe the shaft moves as much as it use to hence I have more precise control of the cue tip. Or, maybe I am just deluded. :smile:

Al

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're worried about people calling it gay, follow these steps:

1. Get black gloves. No colors that appear in a rainbow.
2. Put some kind of manly logo on the back of it. A silhouette of a busty woman works well.
3. Get some marbles, attach strings to them, and dangle them off the back of your glove, like the trucker balls.

syphinhex

Registered
Michael Jackson? :confused:

More like Freddy Jackson, sir! I guess the glove wasn't as hated as I thought, I got on a pretty good run this afternoon and was asked to come play in a tournament at the place I was playing. :thumbup: Probably was just looking for people to bulk their pot but I suppose losing tournaments is still good practice and fun.