Spf

JC

Coos Cues
No player in the world would ever get a 30 break being taught to play in an upright position, whether they pause or not. And who teaches that?

I only infrequently play snooker but always get several 30+ breaks when I do play for any length of time. I am of course primarily a pool player and play quite upright. A "B" player at that. But I forget how superior snooker players are to pool players. Until they remind me of course. Then when I watch them play pool I forget again :)

JC

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interested in people thoughts on adding a pause as suggested by all the SPF instructors. [...]

Here is the language from the materials for our FOUNDATIONS course.

Pendulum Stroke

The player’s entire body stays completely still in a pool stroke with one exception: the rear forearm undergoes a simple pendulum motion bending about the elbow.

SPF (SET, PAUSE, FINISH)

Many pool instructors refer to the simple pendulum stroke (see picture on previous page) as an “SPF” stroke, where the letters refer to SET (solid red line in the figure ) , PAUSE (dashed purple line), and FINISH (dashed yellow line) positions. The drills you do in the Foundations courses are designed to help burn the SPF sequence into your muscle memory. These drills pay particular attention to the SET and FINISH positions.

THE SET POSITION

As in many sports, the set position is key. It is from here that the fuse is lit for the final stroke. The player’s body is held completely still in the set position for at least three seconds. During the Foundations courses, students should hold every set position for at least five seconds. Here are some characteristics of the set position:
• Forearm is vertical.
• Tip is close to the cueball.
• Eyes switch focus from cueball to target location, with at least two seconds on target location.
From the set position, the player draws the cue back slowly to the PAUSE position. It is not necessary to actually pause at the PAUSE position. Some top players do; others don’t. What is necessary is the cue be drawn back slowly (not jerked back) and the transition from backward to forward motion be slow and smooth. The cue is accelerated forward from the PAUSE position. When the forearm becomes vertical again, the tip will be at the ball. At the tip-ball impact on the forward stroke, the player is passing again through the SET position.

THE FINISH POSITION
-going home-

Instructors in many sports, including pool, stress the importance of follow through. We disagree. Follow through focuses on what happens to the front of the cue, i.e., the tip. When a player decides in advance where he or she would like the tip of the cue to finish, there is no guarantee a pendulum stroke can comply. So a player attempting to get the tip to a particular location likely will call upon the shoulder joint. Pivoting about the shoulder joint drops the elbow and raises the tip.
We prefer instead to focus on FINISHING THE STROKE. The stroke is finished when the grip hand reaches its natural finish position—the natural end of the pendulum stroke. Depending upon the player’s body type and stance, this could be where the forearm hits the bicep, or it could be where the grip hand hits the side of the chest. So instead of focusing on follow through, we focus on finishing the stroke, on the grip hand going home.
A consequence of finishing the stroke is the tip of the cue will reach a particular finish location—for many people this is four or five inches beyond the cueball with the tip touching the cloth. So have no fear, others will think you are dutifully following through.
Unless doing so would disrupt the balls in play, freeze for at least two seconds in the finish position. Note that you’ve gone home.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm the sort of guy that tries to deal with fact. That's all. You said "technically" it doesn't. I responded "technically" it does. Had you said "technically" it does stop but for all practical purposes, many people stroke where there is no perceptible pause, I would have agreed with you. Frankly, it's rather unimportant and not worth arguing over, I wish I would have ignored it at this point. :smile:

Yeah me too. Sorry for wasting your time.

I always know when it's time for a break from AZ by the topics that I start getting interested in. I'll reread some of my posts the next day and I'll realize I'm getting in too deep. I start entering in to those subjects that 99.7% of all known pool players couldn't care less about.

Look, I said often, not every time. I'm not here to argue. We use BH as an example of a longer pause, because that's how he plays. Everyone is entitled to their opinion...but in this particular instance, mine is shared by many others. Sometimes I just don't care to keep posting when someone just doesn't believe something...and that's their prerogative. Also your perspective about stroke timing is skewed. You can only calculate the time lapse, with frame by frame viewing...not with the naked eye. I watched both video examples you posted, and noticed many shots where Buddy paused at least 2 seconds. Very nice noticeable pause at the CB, as well. Perhaps we should just agree to disagree, and let it go.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Sounds good to me....see above.:thumbup:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Interested in people thoughts on adding a pause as suggested by all the SPF instructors. I have started to toy with it - I do feel my stroke is straighter and more accurate.
A deliberate "pause" at the end of the backstroke and before the final forward stroke can certainly offer advantages. For more info, see:

Why pause?

and

What is a "pause?"

Regards,
Dave

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Interested in people thoughts on adding a pause as suggested by all the SPF instructors. I have started to toy with it - I do feel my stroke is straighter and more accurate.

I see a lot of top level players doing it - SVB, Morra, Landon Shuffett, Alex.

Gerry

I also call it transition/time....it varies from Zero to Ciscero Murphy. :thumbup:

To find what works best for you will evolve over many hours and years of playing, and some get it right quickly (Earl, Jesse Bowman). Watch a pro event to see ALL the variations, you'll find it intriguing. Years ago before I changed the grip (my pause was fine), all I did all day long at a pro event, was watch the greats and make a decision, implement and work on it. Took 3months @ approx. 40 hrs a week, and its been engrained since 81/82. Mind you, I was breaking a near twenty year bad habit of gripping WRONG. Years ago, NO one offered up much free information.

lastdimetaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it is a key reference point in stroke, eye pattern, and the last check point . It just a component in a highly reliable system for me. No importance than a slow back swing. You can take your rituals ur strokes ur whole game and break it down to smaller components to get a better understanding to increase confidence at all levels. So many great books out there. I love the concept of pause ..

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
At a fundamental level, being trained on SPF can help most players in the long run. Like many things, it is a tool that will enable someone to develop their core playing mechanics. It's not a one size fits all system. There are plenty of players that use it, and plenty that don't. But by and far, people that take training seriously will want a way maximize their efforts. SPF can help in this regard.

Rather than making an uninformed opinion, I suggest everyone just try it out. I think most people will appreciate the way it will enable them to self assess their strokes. It does take some dedication to get right.

Personally, I no longer use it. But I do see where it can be useful and would not discourage others from using it.

-td

Last edited:

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
At a fundamental level, being trained on SPF can help most players in the long run. Like many things, it is a tool that will enable someone to develop their core playing mechanics. It's not a one size fits all system. There are plenty of players that use it, and plenty that don't. But by and far, people that take training seriously will want a way maximize their efforts. SPF can help in this regard.

Rather than making an uninformed opinion, I suggest everyone just try it out. I think most people will appreciate the way it will enable them to self assess their strokes. It does take some dedication to get right.

Personally, I no longer use it. But I do see where it can be useful and would not discourage others from using it.

-td

Very interesting statement.

My question would then be:

If you don't have a smooth transition, what do you have?

randyg

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
I don't think I said I don't have a smooth transition. I just no longer use the SPF method. Either instructing or shooting. The SPF doctrine and methodology was too much of a fundamental change for me to permanently incorporate into my playing style.

Like I said, it may work for some/many, but it is not (by any means) the only way to skin this cat. And, as is apparent from the many pros that have come and gone before SPF was around, SPF isn't the only way to transition correctly. In fact, isn't it true that you fundamentally MUST transition at the end of the backswing? [That is, SPF didn't invent the transition...Humans using sticks as a tool goes back a long way - including a long way before SPF was developed].

-td

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Top of the Swing

In that part of the shot....during the shot, and a little before the top, and a little after the top, ones Swingnature :scratchhead: is created.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
I don't think I said I don't have a smooth transition. I just no longer use the SPF method. Either instructing or shooting. The SPF doctrine and methodology was too much of a fundamental change for me to permanently incorporate into my playing style.

Like I said, it may work for some/many, but it is not (by any means) the only way to skin this cat. And, as is apparent from the many pros that have come and gone before SPF was around, SPF isn't the only way to transition correctly. In fact, isn't it true that you fundamentally MUST transition at the end of the backswing? [That is, SPF didn't invent the transition...Humans using sticks as a tool goes back a long way - including a long way before SPF was developed].

-td

The phrase "Pause" in SPF means having a smooth transition.
Either you do or you don't!

randyg

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
The phrase "Pause" in SPF means having a smooth transition.
Either you do or you don't!

randyg
I respectfully disagree. I do understand the SPF philosophy, and the maxim you propose is just not true. You can transition smoothly without adhering to the SPF method. The SPF folks think they invented the perfect transition, when in reality they developed a tool that enables people to judge their transition based on results. The transition happens regardless of whether you drink the SPF cool aid.

That being said, I am happy to discuss the merits of the SPF position. So, rather than conclusory statements, can you explain why ONLY the SPF transition is smooth?

-td

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
I respectfully disagree. I do understand the SPF philosophy, and the maxim you propose is just not true. You can transition smoothly without adhering to the SPF method. The SPF folks think they invented the perfect transition, when in reality they developed a tool that enables people to judge their transition based on results. The transition happens regardless of whether you drink the SPF cool aid.

That being said, I am happy to discuss the merits of the SPF position. So, rather than conclusory statements, can you explain why ONLY the SPF transition is smooth?

-td

I totally agree with you. "The transition happens regardless of whether you drink the SPF cool aid." Now it is your job to figure out HOW the transition was completed. Not all transitions are seamless.

The phrase "Pause" is nothing more than a diagnostic tool. Pause is not the transition, it is a description of that movement.

Again, you are correct. I did not invent the transition, I coined a phrase to diagnose any stroke.

SPF
randyg

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
The groove then the stroke

I see a lot of top level players doing it - SVB, Morra, Landon Shuffett, Alex.

Gerry

Gerry,
Its what makes you comfortable but I have always found that when you are teaching your arm shot pressures that somewhat of a pause is almost required.

If you are stroking in the preshot and looking and adjusting your aim when you think you are on and ready to fire, you sort of know how hard you want to hit the shot so some sort of hesitation, readjustment of your previously grooved strokes in the preshot routine almost have to take place.

I can remember times when the pause was more pronounced in my game and now its not as easy to see because I am slowing or increasing the prestrokes in speed to accommodate the final delivery speed of the last stroke.

So if you started out with a very pronounced pause there wouldn't be a thing wrong with it, but as you play I would almost bet the pause starts shortening maybe to near disappearance depending on your style.

I have always looked at the pause as a way to measure stroke speed and the final decision. So if you aren't getting the shape you like on a pretty consistent basis I would add the pause but know what the pause is for.