Stolen league money

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why sue the league operator and exclude the league itself with the big pockets???

Makes no sense! BCA has some liability for this issue and failed to make adequate consumer protections! Plus, they could afford it! Even though the league owner may be broke.

Kd

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Were we informed about the overseeing entity?
I would be VERY surprised if this is the first time the league has been through this.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
No offense KD, but you are nuts:):):)

CSI won’t do shit. Does the WPA do anything when Barry stiffs the players year after year? No. They only make stupid press releases. How about when the Phillipino promoter in 2008 or so stiffed the payout of the WPA sanctioned world championship, that Efren and Busty boycotted before hand, because they knew the promoter was a bum? Or how about Mackey stiffing all the players for a years worth of tournaments.

Bottom line: Regardless of who is the “regulating body”, they have never done shit when someone steals or donkeys off the cash.
You or someone cited the tony anngioni issue and Mark Griffin made that situation better!

He was not even involved but this issue occurs with his baby and will do nothing??? Highly doubt that!

They will sell the league and make it right or some type of equity arrangement ...

Just my opinion and 2 cents.

Kd

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not sure why you guys are saying to just move on. I would think a detective wouldn't mind looking into this. The list of names of the people who knew about this money isn't infinite. It's basically the players in the league and family members. This of course is if the LO didn't blow it. They may not see the cash but there's a chance justice could be served.

I know of a situation where an employee stole about $75,000 of cash and merchandise. Police were not interested in prosecuting. Where I live the police take interest in theft and fraud. I guess it depends what state/county the incident takes place. I would not move on. Something smells from fish.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lie detector test won't prove anything. They are garbage. Would be better off taking whatever money it would cost to do one and giving it to the players. If the guy claims he cant pay it back and the cops can't prove he took it there is nothing to be done but hope whoever is responsible dies from ass cancer.

I disagree...if it were me as a LO, I would be requesting a poly on myself ASAP.
Hook me up, ask me your questions...

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
GoldCrown,
Police don't prosecute but I get your point. Just seems like a simple investigation to me based on my years of watching Forensic Files ;)

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why sue the league operator and exclude the league itself with the big pockets???

Makes no sense! BCA has some liability for this issue and failed to make adequate consumer protections! Plus, they could afford it! Even though the league owner may be broke.

Kd

I could not disagree more.

First, a technical point...the BCA and the BCAPL are totally separate entities, and the one you are referring to is the BCAPL.

Second, when sanctioning your league with the BCAPL, each LO signs a sanctioning agreement. Here is an excerpt from that agreement:

I have read and understand the above statements, and I do agree to adhere to the rules and standards set forth in this application and in the BCA Pool League Operator’s Manual. I shall enforce these guidelines in my league to the best of my ability. I understand that I am totally responsible for the fulfillment of all my league's obligations. Such obligations include but are not limited to: advertising, schedules of play, amounts of awards and prize monies, updating and posting weekly standings sheets, fulfilling sanction fee obligations to the BCAPL on a monthly basis, overseeing safety and security of league funds, notifying league participants of any material changes in the league, and generally fulfilling all obligations and responsibilities attendant thereto. I further recognize that all costs for the league are the full and exclusive responsibility of myself and the signed officers below. I specifically indemnify and hold harmless BCA Pool League, headquartered in Henderson, Nevada, and their employees and directors, of any responsibilities, costs and attorney fees, or obligations attendant to the administration of this league.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I could not disagree more.

First, a technical point...the BCA and the BCAPL are totally separate entities, and the one you are referring to is the BCAPL.

Second, when sanctioning your league with the BCAPL, each LO signs a sanctioning agreement. Here is an excerpt from that agreement:

I have read and understand the above statements, and I do agree to adhere to the rules and standards set forth in this application and in the BCA Pool League Operator’s Manual. I shall enforce these guidelines in my league to the best of my ability. I understand that I am totally responsible for the fulfillment of all my league's obligations. Such obligations include but are not limited to: advertising, schedules of play, amounts of awards and prize monies, updating and posting weekly standings sheets, fulfilling sanction fee obligations to the BCAPL on a monthly basis, overseeing safety and security of league funds, notifying league participants of any material changes in the league, and generally fulfilling all obligations and responsibilities attendant thereto. I further recognize that all costs for the league are the full and exclusive responsibility of myself and the signed officers below. I specifically indemnify and hold harmless BCA Pool League, headquartered in Henderson, Nevada, and their employees and directors, of any responsibilities, costs and attorney fees, or obligations attendant to the administration of this league.
That means that BCAPL can sue the League Operator for his failure and does not apply to the harmed members!

The league issues operating licenses and they are valuable and the debt obligations can be paid by selling the league Operators license or making the harmed equity owners of the business..

Kd

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure if its been asked but does he happen to have a teenager at home?

Someone who knew the money was there took it. If its not the LO its someone he told about doing payouts or who was in the house and saw the cash.

When I was a kid in boy scouts I slang fundraiser popcorn like Ice T slang that rock. I was an earner. One year the adult in charge of keeping all the money came in and told us his dirtbag older son had stole it all and disappeared. It was about $5k. He made noises about making it right but of course that never happened and him and his younger son faded away quickly.

Hope you find a way to get your dough.

Yup. Apparently his kids significant other has stolen from him before.

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree...if it were me as a LO, I would be requesting a poly on myself ASAP.
Hook me up, ask me your questions...

If I were an LO who just had $19,000 stolen and was responsible for replacing that money, would I have an extra $500+ to pay for a polygraph that is inadmissible in court and whose results would be highly doubted by my players? I doubt it.

Neither is requiring LO's and their leagues to be bonded. In order to secure a bond that would cover the potential loss of league funds of say $20,000, and have that bond's deductible be low enough to be of any use to the league, the price of the bond would be astronomical. You would be better off investing that money, and if anything bad happens (like your league fees were stolen), then you have a kitty to draw from. Of course that begs the question...what happens if the kitty disappears?

Transparency is the key. All leagues should have a well-defined budget, and that budget must be available for viewing by everyone in the league. The budget must include detailed end-of-season payout amounts. League members should have the power to demand to see how much is in the league bank account at any point of the season.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
KD,
I don't think the BCAPL sells operating licenses anything like other leagues do, like the APA for instance.
You may be correct!

But there must be some value associated with the league and I find it hard to believe that leagues are formed with no monetary buy in?

People certainly can not walk up and say I have a certain territory per the BCAPL and no one else can infringe with zero purchase price???

That sounds highly irregular!

Kd

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That means that BCAPL can sue the League Operator for his failure and does not apply to the harmed members!

The league issues operating licenses and they are valuable and the debt obligations can be paid by selling the league Operators license or making the harmed equity owners of the business..

Kd

No, you are thinking of other "franchising" leagues like the APA and the USAPL. The BCAPL does not sell or issue any license. They are simply a sanctioning body. There is nothing of value to sell when you are the LO of a BCAPL league.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You may be correct!

But there must be some value associated with the league and I find it hard to believe that leagues are formed with no monetary buy in?

People certainly can not walk up and say I have a certain territory per the BCAPL and no one else can infringe with zero purchase price???

Kd

To Sanction a BCA League:
This is from the 2018 - 2019 League Operator's Manual

To sanction your league, simply fill out the BCA Pool League Sanction Application and send it to the BCAPL office along with your initial sanction fee or $200 deposit for new leagues (US funds only).

http://www.playcsipool.com/uploads/7/3/5/9/7359673/2018-2019_league_operators_manual.pdf

Last edited:

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You may be correct!

Kd

The very first paragraph of the BCAPL Sanctioning Agreement reads...

Our league understands and agrees to the following:
1. The BCAPL sanctions leagues throughout the world. This agreement does not confer any exclusive rights or franchise areas to any league sanctioned by the BCAPL. It is a privilege, not a right, to be a BCA Pool League Operator.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
The very first paragraph of the BCAPL Sanctioning Agreement reads...

Our league understands and agrees to the following:
1. The BCAPL sanctions leagues throughout the world. This agreement does not confer any exclusive rights or franchise areas to any league sanctioned by the BCAPL. It is a privilege, not a right, to be a BCA Pool League Operator.
So given the current events don't you think he lost that privilege???

Bcapl can assign league operating license to the members and they now own the rights not him...

I am certain that you are not lobbying for him to maintain ownership!

Kd

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So given the current events don't you think he lost that privilege???

Bcapl can assign league operating license to the members and they now own the rights not him...

I am certain that you are not lobbying for him to maintain ownership!

Kd

No, of course, if he lost the money through negligence, or if he outright stole the money, then he should never be allowed to be an LO again. I'm just saying that there is a possibility that this LO was legitimately robbed, and if so, he should be allowed to rectify the situation. If he does, then all should go back to normal, with the LO having learned a good lesson.

Poodle of Doom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I will.

I hope you do. It would add a lot to this story. Not to mention the fact that I'm interested in satisfying my own curiosity at the present, and clear up a lot of the blame being passed around here.

I don't like jumping to conclusions. And a great many people are quick to blame the league operator without proof of a conspiracy. Frankly, I'd like to satisfy my inquisitive mind prior to taking part in a witch hunt.

Truth is, there hasn't been any formal investigation as of yet, that we know of. As such, blaming the league operator, thief, or anyone else right now is purely speculation. Again, I'm not much for witch hunts. I wouldn't mind seeing this progress further, so we could get away from that. And a police report would help with that.

I agree to an extent; however, a police report means there is actually a police investigation.
* The amount falls under a felony offence
* The fact that the money belongs to other falls under embezzlement

As a LO I would jump at a opportunity to clear my name and the polygraph questions are quite simple.
I even understand that a polygraph is not always conclusive; however, I wouldn't understand a refusal to take one...
After all, we are talking about $19,000 of other people's money here.
It sucks for all involved, even with a cleared poly there would still be an ugly appearance...
However, the funds were entrusted to the LO; he should be sitting at the police station requesting an investigation and a self polygraph.

Regardless...

The loss/thief of the funds does not alleviate the LO from payment, he owns this.
Loss/Thief of money for a mortgage, car payment, electric bill does not negate the debt; companies my work vs cutting off you lights but the debt is still there.

I agree completely with this. I've suggested it before, and I will again. A lawyer should be contacted. I've suggested the possibility of a class action lawsuit. The only reason why I suggest this is to protect the rights and investments of everyone involved.

At that, a lawyer amongst many people will be, by far, cheaper than for individuals. Not to mention, it may be worth while to invest from the beginning, and while the case is developing, than to have to come back and explain everything from the beginning. There is a lot to process, and look into at the moment. It's hard to explain something as intricate as this could be at a later date with a high degree of accuracy. A significant number of notes, reports, and various other things need to be created and obtained to maintain an accurate timeline. A lawyer could ease this burden.

I know it's harsh, but I still see this very simply. He was trusted with the money and failed to protect it. How he protects it is his choice. A bank seems like an obvious good choice, a safe that can't be carried away seems like a reasonable but not zero risk choice. A little portable safe seems reckless and risky. A $20 grand balance will get you free checking/savings anywhere in the country. A few dollars a month will get you a safety deposit box and it could still be in all 20's and accessible any weekday with no notice. It's almost a gamble which starts to put this in the same ballpark as him having lost it in a poker game.

Of course if it really was stolen it is very different than him gambling it away but I just know if it was me, my only reaction would be that I have a very clear obligation to replace the money. It would be me that was robbed, not 100 other people.

My thing about placing it in a bank is that most, at least in the United States, are FDIC insured. That means that if they get robbed, the insurance covers your loss. It would be similar to being bonded. Which a lot of other people suggested.

Was it not made clear that the money was where it was because the dude was preparing payouts?

The prep of payouts takes time and must be done correctly. How long does it take? You seem to be quite informed on the matter.

As logical said just above your post, get a safety deposit box. You can manage the money in a secure room, in a bank vault. No problems with getting robbed there. And you can see my point about the FDIC above.

Got some more from ya: cant get blood from a stone.

Again, if a lawsuit is won, and judgement entered, you can go back to court to obtain an lawful order for wage garnishment. Also, there are settlement agencies that will collect your settlement for a nominal fee. Something like 10% of what's owed to you. For $1,900, you can recoup $17,100. Which is better than a swift kick to the rear, if any of these are possible outcomes.

Hire a good P.I..

This too. Around the same time as a lawyer.

What does a league franchise cost?

100k or 50k ?

Anyway, the BCA needs to sell the league out from under the owner and make the members whole!

Or

Make the members have equity stakes in the league, oust the guy and find someone to run the business...

Either way the BCA and Ozzy have to make a decision and explore the options and desires of the harmed pool players

Kd

Would love to see a representative of the league comment on this post. I wonder if one is available?

The only choice is to move on. Everything else is a waste of time, money, energy, and emotion.

If you sue the LO and win, he won’t have the money to pay. Just like Tony Anagoni. And, you’ll be out a ton of time, vacation days, legal bs paperwork and time, to deal with it.

If it really was a thief, and you catch him, what is the recourse? He already spent the money up his nose.

There is no solution. Just give up. And never play in a league again. That’s it.

Every single person on this whole forum has been burned at one point or another in the pool world. We learn, remember the pool bums, remember to post, and keep on grinding.

So, just roll over? No thanks. At least look into it a little further. If it was a thief/robbery, fine. Even if you get nothing for it, at least you tried.

No offense KD, but you are nuts:):):)

CSI won’t do shit. Does the WPA do anything when Barry stiffs the players year after year? No. They only make stupid press releases. How about when the Phillipino promoter in 2008 or so stiffed the payout of the WPA sanctioned world championship, that Efren and Busty boycotted before hand, because they knew the promoter was a bum? Or how about Mackey stiffing all the players for a years worth of tournaments.

Bottom line: Regardless of who is the “regulating body”, they have never done shit when someone steals or donkeys off the cash.

Let them make a press release. At least next year no one will bother to show up at this guys event. And no one will care to cater to his business either. When he finally tanks as a result of this, or enough times of something like this happening, so be it. Maybe someone better will pop up.

GoldCrown,
Police don't prosecute but I get your point. Just seems like a simple investigation to me based on my years of watching Forensic Files ;)

This is where it all starts. Until a simple investigation happens, nothing else can. Plain and simple.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, of course, if he lost the money through negligence, or if he outright stole the money, then he should never be allowed to be an LO again. I'm just saying that there is a possibility that this LO was legitimately robbed, and if so, he should be allowed to rectify the situation. If he does, then all should go back to normal, with the LO having learned a good lesson.

I simply don't see an issue if the LO "rectified the situation"; might be a challenge for some with Vegas a week away though.

Some leagues prizes include the pre-paid trip to nationals (now World), while other simply payout cash. With payout so close to the Vegas start, winning player would have had to register, book flights and hotel out of pocket.
This also should not be the case; the LO ran the league too long and should have paid out weeks or a month ago. Even TBA slots in the tournament ended on 7/6.

My guess that the LO may have ignored the email from BCA about start/stop periods for leagues and sanctions.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I were an LO who just had $19,000 stolen and was responsible for replacing that money, would I have an extra $500+ to pay for a polygraph that is inadmissible in court and whose results would be highly doubted by my players? I doubt it.
Polygraph results are absolutely admissible as evidence in court IF both the prosecution and the defense both agree to it.
That agreement seldom happens, however.

Poodle of Doom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Polygraph results are absolutely admissible as evidence in court IF both the prosecution and the defense both agree to it.
That agreement seldom happens, however.

Why not just let the police do their job? Perhaps they'll require one at some point, and it'll be free to the league operator.