Str8Shots Has Not Paid for CO State 8-Ball Championships

JeremiahGage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Str8Shots (Marc and Kimberly Griffiths) ran the Colorado State 8-Ball Championships on May 16-18 in Pueblo, of which I took 2nd place with a prize of $980 that they have failed to pay me.

Towards the end of the tournament, Marc stated that the 1st-4th place prize money had been stolen, but that they would pay everyone in full within 30 days. I have given Str8Shots everything requested of me: PayPal address, bank account info, and a W-9.

Various people from Str8Shots have given me a number of stories regarding why they have not paid:
  • They claimed they had already paid me.
  • They paid the wrong person and had to get the money back.
  • Kimberly’s notes were hard to read.
  • They only check their email every two weeks.

I understand that Kimberly has been having health issues and I sincerely hope she fully recovers. Unfortunately, this does not explain the lack of communication and a few other items:
  • Dozens of phone calls to different numbers and voicemails have gone unanswered.
  • It takes days if not weeks delay to get an email response, if they respond at all.
  • Str8Shots banned me and my girlfriend from their Facebook group and defriended both of us.
  • The tournament was deleted from their website.
  • Over two weeks ago a person from Str8Shots said they were going to process me immediately through payroll, which has not happened.
  • I have even sent them a certified letter through the mail with no response.

I have talked with the players and as of a couple weeks ago, 1st and 3rd place have been paid out, but not 2nd or 4th. One of the players said that Str8Shots told him that they have paid everyone.

It is very unfortunate that the prize money was stolen, but it was Str8Shot’s responsibility to keep it secure. For this tournament: I took a day off work, drove 4.5 hours up to Colorado, spent my entire weekend grinding out matches, and also spent money on gas, hotel, and entry fee.

Marc or Kimberly, if you are reading this please contact me!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-14 at 11.55.49 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-08-14 at 11.55.49 AM.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 2,302

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How would they have paid the wrong person? And did they just leave the money sitting on a table or something? Any details on how it got stolen?

Sounds like a tough situation to be in.

JeremiahGage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They said they sent it to the wrong PayPal address and had to get the money back. The story we got was that the 1st-4th prize money was in Kimberly's purse and there was a period of time that nobody had their eye on it, then the money was stolen along with her credit and debit cards. They didn't use the safe at the location because last time they couldn't get ahold of someone that could open it when they needed the money.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Off topic, but I thought it was silly of them to pay danny harriman and john schmidt not to play each other.

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They said they sent it to the wrong PayPal address and had to get the money back. The story we got was that the 1st-4th prize money was in Kimberly's purse and there was a period of time that nobody had their eye on it, then the money was stolen along with her credit and debit cards. They didn't use the safe at the location because last time they couldn't get ahold of someone that could open it when they needed the money.

images

Johnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
to me an excuse is just a lie gift wrapped w a bow on it and u have not 1 but several which is even more annoying! i think it is a good start by posting it here but if that doesn't get the ball rolling soon i would look into applying legal pressure, wasn't tony annigoni taken to court over a similar situation?

it's 1 thing to say u paid some1 in person but can't remember the details but it is entirely different if it was via paypal u can just go back and check your transactions which would take all of 30 seconds to do

TimKrazyMon

Kid Delicious' Evil Twin
Silver Member
Str8Shots (Marc and Kimberly Griffiths) ran the Colorado State 8-Ball Championships on May 16-18 in Pueblo, of which I took 2nd place with a prize of $980 that they have failed to pay me.

Towards the end of the tournament, Marc stated that the 1st-4th place prize money had been stolen, but that they would pay everyone in full within 30 days. I have given Str8Shots everything requested of me: PayPal address, bank account info, and a W-9.

Various people from Str8Shots have given me a number of stories regarding why they have not paid:

I understand that Kimberly has been having health issues and I sincerely hope she fully recovers. Unfortunately, this does not explain the lack of communication and a few other items:
  • Dozens of phone calls to different numbers and voicemails have gone unanswered.
  • It takes days if not weeks delay to get an email response, if they respond at all.
  • Str8Shots banned me and my girlfriend from their Facebook group and defriended both of us.
  • Over two weeks ago a person from Str8Shots said they were going to process me immediately through payroll, which has not happened.

I have talked with the players and as of a couple weeks ago, 1st and 3rd place have been paid out, but not 2nd or 4th. One of the players said that Str8Shots told him that they have paid everyone.

It is very unfortunate that the prize money was stolen, but it was Str8Shot’s responsibility to keep it secure. For this tournament: I took a day off work, drove 4.5 hours up to Colorado, spent my entire weekend grinding out matches, and also spent money on gas, hotel, and entry fee.

Str8 Shots stiffed someone?! Classic!

Attachments

• burn.png
    burn.png
    99 KB · Views: 2,143
  • cool1.png
    cool1.png
    94.6 KB · Views: 2,137

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I wondered if 1 thru 4 ever got paid after that crazy stolen prize money story
Thanks for the update, sorry you're one of the victims.
From what I've heard, it sounds like these people are broke, robbing Peter to pay Paul

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
I wondered if 1 thru 4 ever got paid after that crazy stolen prize money story
Thanks for the update, sorry you're one of the victims.
From what I've heard, it sounds like these people are broke, robbing Peter to pay Paul

Any viable and/or reputable company would have paid their obligations immediately, no questions/excuses asked or given.

IMO, they have sealed their own fate, and anyone who continues to do business with them does so at their own risk.

J

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was this the same tournament that was scheduled over another that was already on the books? Or am I back asswards again??

Contact the local town court and ask to file a small claims lawsuit. If they don't show or don't convince the judge that you were paid ...they lose. VERY EASY to do. Cost under 10 bucks to file and no lawyer needed. They will give you a court date in 4 to 6 weeks. You don't have to serve them typically. Just do it...often they settle up prior to court date knowing they wont win.

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow

I believe, I have seen this organization's name about four times on AZ. Not once has it been positive. Will someone please just close up shop. Seriously!

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
You don't have to serve them typically. Just do it...often they settle up prior to court date knowing they wont win.

Pretty much the way it works in Canada, altho the cost is $60. Gotta spread it around.
And a Summons has to be served.

Other than that, they will usually arrange to settle up before the court date or come to court prepared to make restitution.

Funny how sometimes, the receiving of a summons can make money magically appear.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Str8shots is going to save pool = NOT!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Any viable and/or reputable company would have paid their obligations immediately, no questions/excuses asked or given.

IMO, they have sealed their own fate, and anyone who continues to do business with them does so at their own risk.

J

Best post in the thread.