SVB vs Chang Update Thread

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
The thing about it all is it depends on who or what you know...thats the real issue here. You don't just get to 115 at an ungodly hour and just come up with that...there had to be some contingency in place. That's the part where people are betting and don't know all the stipulations. A little history here helps...

Once upon a time there was a bug ahead set played that everyone was sweating in one hole here. I can't remember if it was a Tony and Scott match or Scott and Alex ...but they changed the set after a while. When that happened everyone scrambled and tried to figure out how to adjust, that's when people started betting differently for a long while here. They would say "whatever they do is fine if anything changes or prorate the way they do."

From my perspective that's a given here now, that's just what we do. So you ride with your horse until the end. So if Chang said he wants to go to 155 then his high water mark changes with it. Thats the only logical conclusion in all of this that precedent has. NEVER has anyone paid off something before its conclusion here and it sets a very difficult path forward if this thing is being settled based on pre match stipulations. Obviously no one will care if it finishes within 8.5 games but watch what happens if it finishes outside that margin. Even if people don't say anything that's going to significantly reduce action in the future or people will be sounding like lawyers trying to book a sweat.

You have to consider a worst case for this to make sense which is, what if one of them can't show up and finish after this...you essentially have no action now.

something_pool

Registered
I don't disagree, but making a bet is kind of like signing a contract and legalese DOES matter. It could be argued depending on the wording of the bet. Hey, I'm betting that Shane wins the match they're playing. You can have 8.5 games. The bet wasn't for race to 120, it was for the match. If the match gets changed, then it is no longer the match they had bet on.

And tell me this, what if they had stopped and extended it at 110 or 111 apiece????

Jaden
I guess any bets on future long races like this should always have some kind of clause saying what the parties want to do in the event that the race terms change before it ends.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
My wife is from Taiwan. Sometimes she refers to herself as Taiwanese and other times as Chinese. She has never been to mainland China and I am not sure how many generations it would go back if her family ever were in China.
'Xactly. My friend (okay, he owned the local Chinese Restaurant) is from Taiwan. He refers to himself as Chinese. Not once did he ever refer to himself as being "Taiwanese."

Freddie <~~~ Filipino Floridian

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
You know that Taiwan does not consider itself part of China, right?
You know that "Chinese" is an ethnicity not a country, right?. Coy enough? There are Chinese in America. We call that group "Chinese American." What ethnicity do you believe Taiwanese are? 95% of the residents of Taiwan are Han Chinese. Please don't take that heritage away from them.

Last edited:

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
'Xactly. My friend (okay, he owned the local Chinese Restaurant) is from Taiwan. He refers to himself as Chinese. Not once did he ever refer to himself as being "Taiwanese."

Freddie <~~~ Filipino Floridian
Typically Taiwanese consider their China the real China and mainland the usurpers.... from my understanding of the situation.

Jaden

something_pool

Registered
You know that "Chinese" is an ethnicity not a country, right?. Coy enough? There are Chinese in America. We call that group "Chinese American." What ethnicity do you believe Taiwanese are? 95% of the residents of Taiwan are Han Chinese. Please don't take that heritage away from them.
Right... I'm the one in this thread taking people's heritage away...

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Typically Taiwanese consider their China the real China and mainland the usurpers.... from my understanding of the situation.

Jaden
I think that mentality is more pervasive among the KMT and the families in Taiwan who came to being in Taiwan because of the fleeing from the mainland when Mao ran the Nationalists out.

They are in the minority now.

stevelomako

Love you all!
Silver Member
Lol.

I stole that off a Chinese cooking website and it was listed as chop suey.

It didn’t look like what I am used to, either.

FWIW, I never order chop suey.

I prefer Szechuan style Cooking.
Thought you cooked it. Dam it. Replied too soon on the first post.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not really sure what that has to do with anything.
Because you don't seem to understand that someone's ethnicity doesn't change just because they're not "from that country." Karen Corr is from Northern Ireland, a separate country from Ireland. Yet, people from Northern Ireland are.... Irish. Karen' Corr's nickname is "The Irish Invader," not "The Northern Irish Invader." People from Taiwan are Chinese. They are from Taiwan, not from China, but that doesn't make their ethnicity something other than Chinese (other than the minority that are not of Chinese heritage).

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because you don't seem to understand that someone's ethnicity doesn't change just because they're not "from that country." Karen Corr is from Northern Ireland, a separate country from Ireland. Yet, people from Northern Ireland are.... Irish. Karen' Corr's nickname is "The Irish Invader," not "The Northern Irish Invader." People from Taiwan are Chinese. They are from Taiwan, not from China, but that doesn't make their ethnicity something other than Chinese (other than the minority that are not of Chinese heritage).
Apologies I misspoke on my first comment. I was trying to distinguish between ROC and PROC. I used the term “Chinese” incorrectly.