Votes: 100 48.8%
  • Take What You make

Votes: 105 51.2%

• Total voters

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol
Then they would cry that they were not a pro. And are being unfairly treated.

:rotflmao1:

Yeah...I thought about that. Professional speed players sandbagging to keep their amateur status.

I do know a few people who are doing this and I don't blame them. Lots of tournaments for Amateurs going on right now.:thumbup:

monsterdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take what you make. I like to see how it turns out. Might be fairer to both players since a good breaker wont have too much an advantage imo.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
These guys are simply too good to play "open table after the break." Using "play what you make" rules, there is an opportunity to see a lot of shots and safeties you won't otherwise see. Makes for a much better match imo.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
These guys are simply too good to play "open table after the break." Using "play what you make" rules, there is an opportunity to see a lot of shots and safeties you won't otherwise see. Makes for a much better match imo.

Thank you for that. Johnnyt

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
So a guy breaks, makes all 7 low balls and can't see the 8-ball.
With the 'take what you make' rule, he is now a BIG underdog.
Is this a good way to get paid for an excellent break?

I rarely played 8-ball in the 70s....too many goofy rules.
What's next? Roll the dice every shot to see who shoots?

If the players get too good for a game...find another game...
....dumbing down doesn't work.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
pt109;4s518329 said:

I rarely played 8-ball in the 70s....too many goofy rules.
What's next? Roll the dice every shot to see who shoots?

If the players get too good for a game...find another game...
....dumbing down doesn't work.

This is very true also. Pros are too good for 8 and 9 ball. In 9 ball at least play the last MC rules. 10 ball is great for the pros, but 15 ball rotation is even better. There is a certain little country pretty good at 15 ball rotation ;). Johnnyt

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member

You have to admit that is a bit of a strawman argument as it is doubtful anyone has made all 7 stripes or solids on the break in the history of pool. The truth is that these guys are good enough to handle whichever group they get. It just makes it more interesting for those of us buying the PPV.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
I did this poll awhile back. I'm thinking at least a year ago. The response was in favor of open after the break. Since then we have had a chance to see several 8 ball sets on TAR with that rule. The game is a run out fest which I personally like but wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

So here is a poll guaranteed to annoy everyone one way or another.

Please vote up top for :

Open after break.

Take what you make.

(My version of take what you make is that if you make a ball of each group its open no matter how many of each group you make. If you make two solids you are solids obviously. But if you make two solids and a stripe its open.)

Please no suggestions of "Run em in order" or any other crazy variations on the game.
Open table. Alternate breaks. These are pros, trying to change the rules to handicap them and slow down run outs is futile. Rest assured that any game that can be won in a single inning WILL. They're supposed to run out. Might as well make them play with a jump cue the whole time or shoot opposite handed.

If you don't want to see run outs, don't play 8-ball, 9-ball, 10-ball, or allow the magic rack. Or impose a mandatory 1-safety per game rule.

On the other side of this coin, even if the rule is implemented (take what you make) - how many games would this really impact? In the last TAR match how many times did the breaker choose the other group?

-td

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
You have to admit that is a bit of a strawman argument as it is doubtful anyone has made all 7 stripes or solids on the break in the history of pool. The truth is that these guys are good enough to handle whichever group they get. It just makes it more interesting for those of us buying the PPV.

I like billiards because they are games of skill....
...you get rewarded for excellent play.

If I want more gamble in my life....I'll buy lottery tickets.

..and I HAVE seen 5 low balls made on the break, and snookered on the
other two. He ran out on high balls rather than drawing the short 'straw'.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

Many enjoyed the board play after the break at the MC.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

Also, it recreates the thinking your average bar patron will have when you make Only a stripe on the break. It's one of the situations that the non breaker brings up in a bar atmosphere where $5 is involved. It gives the local an advantage so it will be expected when viewed by the masses and non pool players, which is good. Having the rules seem normal to all viewers can only be a good thing and more realistic.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Open table. Alternate breaks. These are pros, trying to change the rules to handicap them and slow down run outs is futile. Rest assured that any game that can be won in a single inning WILL. They're supposed to run out. Might as well make them play with a jump cue the whole time or shoot opposite handed.

If you don't want to see run outs, don't play 8-ball, 9-ball, 10-ball, or allow the magic rack. Or impose a mandatory 1-safety per game rule.

On the other side of this coin, even if the rule is implemented (take what you make) - how many games would this really impact? In the last TAR match how many times did the breaker choose the other group?

-td

Actually the most widely played rules of Eight Ball (tournaments and bar leagues) for decades were that you have whatever you make on the break. If you make both stripes and solids the table is open.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually the most widely played rules of Eight Ball (tournaments and bar leagues) for decades were that you have whatever you make on the break. If you make both stripes and solids the table is open.

Yes this...and there was no safe or ball in hand. You go for the shot and make an honest attempt to make it.

Used to be a gentleman's game.:eek:

Back in the day when you better practice that spot shot.

I still practice the spot shot...I mean I know the tricks on where to aim but I still need to practice it. :smile:

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
Open table has been around for decades as well. When we played BCA back in the late 80's and 90's it was that way. I don't recall when it first appeared, but this isn't something that just showed up... And changes to the rules are made regardless of what is "most popular" or widely accepted [same thing for 9-ball alternate brakes, 3-foul, break from the box, etc. These aren't the "around for decades" accepted rules, but variations to affect the game. Much like the poll here is asking for]

Anyway, Jewett would probably know when open table first started. He wrote an article on this not long ago.

-td

Last edited: